Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pre-Season 2021/22

matty2094

17 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I would have hoped for a few more than 5k after all this time without being allowed in, not to mention the first home game after promotion.  Is it buy on-line only, no pay on the day?  My neighbours never miss a home game but are in their 70s and just don't do on line purchasing, I can offer to do it for them but fact is if its all on line it will put a few off.

Can be purchased in person at the ticket office, not sure about pay on't day.

16 minutes ago, Alf Hartigan said:

Bollocks, I realised in the mid noughties that friendlies at home especially are not worth going to.

Away maybe, I really enjoyed the Scotland tour in 95.

I remember going to Burnley in the early noughties on my own (last minute decision) and I'd not seen any news on our new transfers that day.

We had a black lad playing midfield and he was trying to shoot from just about anywhere in the Burnley half.

Said to a guy next to me, Who's this fucking idiot? thinking was A Triallist on the paper sheet programme.

Turns out it was only Jay Jay (in my defence he was really shit that day)

I remember doing a Dunfermline friendly back in the 90's.

I don't normally do home friendlies/dog shit cup games, but after not seeing us play for so long and never having seen any of our current crop play in the flesh, i thought i'd make an exception this Saturday.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Alf Hartigan said:

Bollocks, I realised in the mid noughties that friendlies at home especially are not worth going to.

Away maybe, I really enjoyed the Scotland tour in 95.

I remember going to Burnley in the early noughties on my own (last minute decision) and I'd not seen any news on our new transfers that day.

We had a black lad playing midfield and he was trying to shoot from just about anywhere in the Burnley half.

Said to a guy next to me, Who's this fucking idiot? thinking was A Triallist on the paper sheet programme.

Turns out it was only Jay Jay (in my defence he was really shit that day)

Ha ha! I don't think he got much better for a good few months did he?  My first memory of him was a 2-0 defeat at City in November when he still looked lost.  

Anyway re friendlies, I agree they are fairly dreadful and pointless from a spectical point of view, but this isn't about the match for me.  Its a chance to get back in the stadium and see, hear, mingle with BW fans (and players) for the first time in ages, there are no guarantees how long that privilege will last.

48 minutes ago, hughmungus said:

This Blackburn game is one we don’t need as it will damage confidence of one or two of our players.

would have preferred a game at our level to test Evatts skills, but let’s hope they have time to recover.

No shame in losing to a Championship team who had a relatively good season last time around.

That said, I think we'll give them a game and a tough encounter will do us far more good than playing Chorley or Barrow.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, hughmungus said:

This Blackburn game is one we don’t need as it will damage confidence of one or two of our players.

would have preferred a game at our level to test Evatts skills, but let’s hope they have time to recover.

Strange you use the ‘will’ when with a slightly more positive slant you could’ve used might, could or may. Says a lot about you as a person.

Bet you can’t wait to pour scorn on everything happening during the new season.

edit = Oh, you’ve already written Evert off as a manager so why would you like him to test his managerial skills?

Edited by MickyD

4 hours ago, Traf said:

No shame in losing to a Championship team who had a relatively good season last time around.

That said, I think we'll give them a game and a tough encounter will do us far more good than playing Chorley or Barrow.

Agree completely, we've had enough practise at passing in neat triangles against inferior opposition, we surely need a game where we're chasing shadows at times and getting our pressing game upto speed.  And hopefully practising playing on the break too, there'll be plenty games this season when we need to play that way.  Looking forward to it.

Enjoyed that.  The game seemed to have a completely different pace to it than the relatively pedestrian games in league 2, not sure if that's just down to perspective of being there but it looked a better quality game all round.  Many positives, in particular Dapo, Sheehan and Johnstone, 3 quality signings.  Dixon is reminding me a bit too much of Crellin but hopefully Gilks is back soon.

Main thing though is it was great to be back in the ground, and to feel the positivity among the fans.