Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

AFC Dons away

Ani

1 minute ago, Rudy said:

Few selection dilemmas now 

GK

CB’s

The wide men 

I reckon Gilks stays in net, after his public backing he won’t bench him yet.

Santos will definitely come back in, he’s our star cb so will be no surprise to be brought in once fit. I’d expect Johnston to start next to him.

Wide men is interesting because it works along with who plays up top. I think he’ll start with the same front 3 but Doyle will know that he’s not got long before Bakayoko takes his spot up top which would leave one of Isgrove or Kachunga to take the wide spot.

So only Santos in for Baps for this game IMO.

• Members
23 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I reckon Gilks stays in net, after his public backing he won’t bench him yet.

Santos will definitely come back in, he’s our star cb so will be no surprise to be brought in once fit. I’d expect Johnston to start next to him.

Wide men is interesting because it works along with who plays up top. I think he’ll start with the same front 3 but Doyle will know that he’s not got long before Bakayoko takes his spot up top which would leave one of Isgrove or Kachunga to take the wide spot.

So only Santos in for Baps for this game IMO.

I’d go along with that. I’m still in the Gilks camp, I’m sure IE is as well but Dixon played well last night so he’ll be knocking on the door. 

Pressure is on Doyle so hopefully that brings the best out of him 

17 minutes ago, Rudy said:

I’d go along with that. I’m still in the Gilks camp, I’m sure IE is as well but Dixon played well last night so he’ll be knocking on the door. 

Pressure is on Doyle so hopefully that brings the best out of him 

Doyle is a workhorse covered every blade the last 2 games, but he hasnt looked a threat whatsoever

agree, Bak will be main man within a few games

• Members
7 minutes ago, L/H White said:

Doyle is a workhorse covered every blade the last 2 games, but he hasnt looked a threat whatsoever

I like Doyle but we all know strikers aren’t judged on their goals especially when the competition are playing well 

12 minutes ago, L/H White said:

Conversely, Doyle is a goalscorer and we need to create more opportunities for him.

• Members
5 minutes ago, Traf said:

Conversely, Doyle is a goalscorer and we need to create more opportunities for him.

I agree but he needs to take those chances. That one he tamely puts around the post from 8 yards out proved costly in the end. Score that and we’re not having this conversation which is why he’ll still get IE’s backing for now , Fine margins at this level

9 minutes ago, Traf said:

aye get that mate, just that Bak seems to carv out his own

still only 2 games in, far to early for these conversations

nice to have options though eh, when was the last time we had that?

6 minutes ago, Rudy said:

I agree but he needs to take those chances. That one he tamely puts around the post from 8 yards out proved costly in the end. Score that and we’re not having this conversation which is why he’ll still get IE’s backing for now , Fine margins at this level

I think his lack of fitness is more of a concern, but yes he should have done better.

No criticism of Gilkes, Baptiste, Lee or Doyle & no problem if any of them are selected, but picking a team for Wimbledon based purely on the 2 games played, it should be.....

Dixon

Jones...Santos...Johnston...John

MJ

Sarce...Sheehan

Isgrove...Bakayoko...Dapo

18 minutes ago, bolton va va said:

No criticism of Gilkes, Baptiste, Lee or Doyle & no problem if any of them are selected, but picking a team for Wimbledon based purely on the 2 games played, it should be.....

Dixon

MJ

Sarce...Sheehan

Definitely our best XI based on performances.

I don't mind us starting with Doyle up top though, I like how our wingers swap sides during the game and then Baka can switch from winger to striker (or vice versa), gives the defenders a more difficult job coming up against different types of players.

When Amaechi is back we're going to have even more depth up top.

Dapo, Bakayoko, Amaechi, Isgrove, Politic, Delfouneso

I really like how balanced our midfield is. Probably our strongest area.

MJs physicality, tackling and calmness; 

Sarce's leadership, engine and determination; and

Sheehan's vision, awareness and passing.

Santos and Johnston will be a formidable partnership. Might even get some corner goals now with Sheehan's delivery.

We look a little light on full back cover, Jones and Brockbank? John and Gordon? 2nd choices seem fairly weaker.

GKs remains to be seek whether Gilks can still handle this level, I think Dixon can make the step up based on his performance v Barnsley. 

Forwards we look good, Doyle seems like the only natural number 9 but I'm sure Baka and Kachunga can fill in when needed.

4 hours ago, bolton va va said:

Dixon

MJ

Sarce...Sheehan

I'd take that team all day long. Doyle's had a chance. Let someone else have a go and send out the message to him that its not a given that he's first choice.

5 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

Tbf Dixon played well against Blackburn week before looked good so was a surprise to see Gilks v MK

Just opinions but I didn't feel he played that well against Blackburn, not "poor", but nothing you wouldn't expect of any keeper.  The first Blackburn goal hit from distance and not in the corner, looked very saveable at the time. 

We all thought it was a breath of fresh air when Gilks came in, dominated the box and became the voice of the defence, and seemed to improve the games of Santos and Baptiste etc.  Maybe after one poor game we're in danger of all that counting for nothing.  He still gets my vote, for his calmness, communication and overall influence.  Its not all about saves (I think Dixon only made 1 of note yesterday?, plus the penalty, but Crellin was good at that too). 

Longer term (January?) I think we should be aiming for a better, taller, more commanding keeper than both.

13 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I think we should be aiming for a better, taller, more commanding keeper than both.

I got my ass fkd on here for saying this when we signed him & suggesting keepers are Evatt's blind spot.

It's early days, Dixon looks an ordinary, but certainly not poor, option & compared with the bizarre Crellin experiment 12m ago he's a shining light.

Gilks worked wonders last year & was a coach on the pitch for the defence once he came in. He certainly doesn't deserve writing off just yet, but every single one of us knows he is time limited.

• Site Supporter

Keepers are a very tough call to get right, the good ones are very few and far between.

As long as you’re ok and not costing your team a goal most games (Crellin), you’ll be ok at L1 and to a large extent championship.

England always had the best keepers in the world but even our cream make more mistakes than fans would like.

Think we’ll be ok with Dixon & Gilks this season. Might take a while but I’d expect Dixon as the no 1 by Christmas 

• Members
11 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Keepers are a very tough call to get right, the good ones are very few and far between.

As long as you’re ok and not costing your team a goal most games (Crellin), you’ll be ok at L1 and to a large extent championship.

England always had the best keepers in the world but even our cream make more mistakes than fans would like.

Think we’ll be ok with Dixon & Gilks this season. Might take a while but I’d expect Dixon as the no 1 by Christmas 

Harder to find a world class GK than a world class striker.

The game has moved on, don’t need to be 6’6 anymore Look at Casillas, Ederson both just over 6ft, agility speed communication and distribution are the biggest attributes especially in teams like us