Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

AFC Dons away

Ani

6 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

I got my ass fkd on here for saying this when we signed him & suggesting keepers are Evatt's blind spot.

It's early days, Dixon looks an ordinary, but certainly not poor, option & compared with the bizarre Crellin experiment 12m ago he's a shining light.

Gilks worked wonders last year & was a coach on the pitch for the defence once he came in. He certainly doesn't deserve writing off just yet, but every single one of us knows he is time limited.

@Big Ehas asked me to ask you word for word what you said about goalie situation 

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Rudy said:

Harder to find a world class GK than a world class striker.

The game has moved on, don’t need to be 6’6 anymore Look at Casillas, Ederson both just over 6ft, agility speed communication and distribution are the biggest attributes especially in teams like us 

Back in our PL days we were lucky we'd stumbled across Jussi 

In that time I'd say the only better ones were Cech, Van Der Saar and maybe Friedel 

Very few great keepers 

Most range from average to decent

And the occasional Crellin

• Members
6 minutes ago, Zico said:

In that time I'd say the only better ones were Cech, Van Der Saar and maybe Friedel 

Very few great keepers 

They’re a different breed. Jussi was a diamond find really, 400+ appearances. Reckon I could count the amount of mistakes he did on one hand. 

Two games stand out 2-1 at Old Trafford and 1-0 at Hull, two of the best GK performances I have ever seen

He’d  be £50m in todays money 

3 hours ago, Rudy said:

They’re a different breed. Jussi was a diamond find really, 400+ appearances. Reckon I could count the amount of mistakes he did on one hand. 

Two games stand out 2-1 at Old Trafford and 1-0 at Hull, two of the best GK performances I have ever seen

That hull game he was sensational, think he also had a blinder at Spurs if I remember.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Steejay said:

Amazed we didn’t sell out.

Tinpot.

Can't make this but got a ticket for my brother 

They might have a new ground but their tickets are printed on a4 paper

but with qr codes 

Sort of tinpot, sort of not

9 hours ago, Rudy said:

He didn't come for crosses on the edge of the area. 

18 hours ago, Zico said:

Very few great keepers 

We stole him from under the nosrs of Norwich if my memory serves 

He had an erratic start & made a few errors, I recall an awful game he had away to Crewe in particular. But he turned out to be one of our best ever.

If only he could have been a better distributor of the ball. Obviously he was a big part of the Kevin Davies style & suited Sam's system very well, but his kicks were as likely to go out of play, or straight to the other keeper as anywhere. 

In later years his annual contract brinkmanship became tedious too.

54 minutes ago, L/H White said:

does wild camping just mean a massive orgy?

Yep. After a 20 mile run in the hills. The weakest, with no energy to fight off the others, usually gets ripped a new arsehole. Unfortunately, there's a lad who's slower than me!!