Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

AFC Dons away

Ani

9 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Maybe the booers beed to realise its not a BLM stance

Or is there another reason to boo?

When the footballers began " taking the knee " last season, they made it clear that it was in support of BLM, the BBC,Sky & other media gave them lots of publicity as being in support of BLM, & they even had " black lives matter " on their shirts.

It's fair enough that they have now distanced themselves from BLM, but they can't claim to be only taking a purely anti-racist stance when they are still making the symbol of support (taking the knee ) for BLM.

• Members
Just now, bolton va va said:

When the footballers began " taking the knee " last season, they made it clear that it was in support of BLM, the BBC,Sky & other media gave them lots of publicity as being in support of BLM, & they even had " black lives matter " on their shirts.

It's fair enough that they have now distanced themselves from BLM, but they can't claim to be only taking a purely anti-racist stance when they are still making the symbol of support (taking the knee ) for BLM.

But it’s not a symbol of support for BLM is it

The thing is, any sort of symbolism  or iconography can be twisted and distorted to support different views from their original meaning.

The swastika was a symbol of peace before the Nazis.

Would you boo the poppy on Remembrance Day because some extremist politician started using the poppy to support his extremist views? Of course not. Nor would anyone say “this poppy stuff has been going on too long now”

The original take the knee was by Caepernick where he was protesting against racial inequality. Regardless of BLM tshirts, media coverage etc. That was the original meaning, against racial inequality. Just because some people may have used BLM as a vehicle to promote views of defunding police/communism blah blah, that doesn’t mean that’s what the players are trying to convey.

Theres been a lot of racial abuse of footballers brought to light in recent years and that is the reason for the taking of the knee.

if you want to boo it, that is absolutely your right but it’s also other people’s right to think you’re a dickhead for doing it

• Site Supporter

Is it free choice to take the knee though? If a whole team does aside from one player,  will they be deemed as racist..

That mentality of "if you're not with us, you're against us"..

Fwiw I don't get booing it, just watch.. or don't.

Think its better just to get behind yhe team, and if the gesture helps the team bond.   Fook it. Yeah crack on. 

Edited by only1swanny

13 minutes ago, Rudy said:

YKnow what I’m sick of having to make my point to people who will never change their minds

As a black person I’m utterly embarrassed at some views on here, as a black wanderers fan I’m utterly ashamed at the small minority who decide to boo our own players over an anti racist stand

Some people need to have a long hard look at themselves and their Stone Age views. 

I am fuckin done with the lot of it and I’m fuckin done with some of the posters on here

Fuck em pal x

17 minutes ago, Mantra said:

The thing is, any sort of symbolism  or iconography can be twisted and distorted to support different views from their original meaning.

The swastika was a symbol of peace before the Nazis.

Would you boo the poppy on Remembrance Day because some extremist politician started using the poppy to support his extremist views? Of course not. Nor would anyone say “this poppy stuff has been going on too long now”

The original take the knee was by Caepernick where he was protesting against racial inequality. Regardless of BLM tshirts, media coverage etc. That was the original meaning, against racial inequality. Just because some people may have used BLM as a vehicle to promote views of defunding police/communism blah blah, that doesn’t mean that’s what the players are trying to convey.

Theres been a lot of racial abuse of footballers brought to light in recent years and that is the reason for the taking of the knee.

if you want to boo it, that is absolutely your right but it’s also other people’s right to think you’re a dickhead for doing it

You could argue the poppy has been hijacked in recent years.

2 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

It adds a few pages to the thread, and kick off time has moved to 3:01pm for me on a Saturday 🤓

Tbh I never thought about that political crap yesterday, it was all about the football for me, solidarity in Tooting brother ✊🏾

Some decent boozers in tooting that spoons was rammed good call catching the bus whoever suggested it 

37 minutes ago, Rudy said:

YKnow what I’m sick of having to make my point to people who will never change their minds

As a black person I’m utterly embarrassed at some views on here, as a black wanderers fan I’m utterly ashamed at the small minority who decide to boo our own players over an anti racist stand

Some people need to have a long hard look at themselves and their Stone Age views. 

I am fuckin done with the lot of it and I’m fuckin done with some of the posters on here

FFS it isn’t a racist gesture to boo the knee. Not sure why you think it is.  No one in their right mind condones racism but it is time the knee ended and normal FA Anti racist campaign without the tainted BLM took its place. 

• Members
53 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Can't change their minds. Not worth trying to explain something they aren't going to listen to. 

Guest Nordkurve
12 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Got chatting to bloke on the way back, Stoke fan who had been to the game and was doing it as a new ground, he was in the Wombles end.

I asked him as a neutral to give me an honest overview of the game, he thought our support was superb, that we were the better side and mainly controlled their game, he was mainly impressed with Santos, stated we'd be lucky to keep hold of him and looked a class above L1. Thought he had an excellent game, wasn't a pen for me and he was unlucky with the ricochet for their 3rd goal, unfortunately he will get the blame for both goals, anyway his account of the game gave me a little more optimism for the season ahead.... 44 games to go. COYWM

I hope you then decked the Stoke bastard :)

• Members
24 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

FFS it isn’t a racist gesture to boo the knee. Not sure why you think it is.  No one in their right mind condones racism but it is time the knee ended and normal FA Anti racist campaign without the tainted BLM took its place. 

CKh_7VKUcAAQwUz.jpg

1 hour ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

The point being they don't ... & won't. That IS how it began, it's how it's perceived by many. It doesn't help that a fair proportion of the black players kneeling are now adding the black power salute to it.

Coz that IS sinister & removes the "it's nothing more than an anti-racism stance.

I think you will find they use their right arms, not left.

Thought the penalty given against us was harsh & the third goal was a series of fortunate ricochets which wouldn’t happen ninety nine times out of a hundred.

First goal conceded however was a bad one , free header & all that.

Nonetheless a good point & plenty positives .Dapo’s goal was a great move & if he gets on that back post more he will bag plenty.