Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Paul Mariner

Burndens Bogs

RIP Paul. Always remember when he had a feature in Shoot! and it said team supported - Bolton Wanderers. We never got a mention in anything in those days! Always liked him after that. Fond memories of him in an England shirt in 70's playing in Home Internationals. Great player.

1 hour ago, Max Cherry said:

RIP Paul. Always remember when he had a feature in Shoot! and it said team supported - Bolton Wanderers. We never got a mention in anything in those days! Always liked him after that. Fond memories of him in an England shirt in 70's playing in Home Internationals. Great player.

RIP Paul remember reading the same article  can’t believe it ! Was proper old fashioned centre forward and scored some crackers for that good Ipswich side of the late 70s . Real shame . 

He was 4 years older than me, same age as my brother. We played together, but I was the very young hanger on.

He was born & brought up in Horwich. Top end of Longworth Road, where it bends to join Brownlow Road. He went to Albert St. Junior School & Rivington & Blackrod Grammar. Captained Horwich & Westhoughton Schoolboys despite being absolutely tiny.

Desperately wanted to sign for Bolton but, shades of Alan Ball, they said he was too small and slight. Never even got a trial.

Played for Old Rivingtonians & signed for Chorley from them. We were impressed, but a bit surprised, when Plymouth came in for him.

Within no time he had bulked up and continued to add height. Obviously a late developer.  He once scored both for and against Bolton in a 1-1 draw at Burnden. He later said he cherished the one he scored for Bolton as it was his childhood dream, if not in that manner.

He developed well at Plymouth & Ian Greaves made an offer but Bobby Robson, top division and a great squad swooped as well. He said he had intended to sign for us but no way could he turn that offer down. Then England selection & later to Arsenal.

Later managing Plymouth & in America, then a coach, including Head of Sports at Bolton School, England and some with England Ladies. It's probably best, in these woke days, his opinion of that standard not be broadcast.

A truly, truly nice person, I've never heard a bad tale of him.

He had a brain tumour diagnosed & operated on last Autumn. All the vibes were good & positive. He was lively & upbeat on Twitter up to about 3 months ago. It seems it all took a bad turn again a few months ago.

Rest In Peace Paul. A great footballer and a true gent.

If I knew how to post pictures I have a B&W one of him at Old Rivs.

Edited by Dr. Feelgood

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

He was 4 years oldef than me, same age as my brother. We played together, but I was the very young hanger on.

He was born & brought up in Horwich. Top end of Longworth Road, where it bends to join Brownlow Road. He went to Albert St. Junior School & Rivington & Blackrod Grammar. Captained Horwich & Westhoughton Schoolboys despite being absolutely tiny.

Desperately wanted to sign for Bolton but, shades if Alan Ball, they said he was too small and slight. Never even got a trial.

Played for Old Rivingtontonians & signed for Chorley from them. We were impressed, but a bit surprised, when Plymouth came in for him.

Within no time he had bulked up and continued to add height. Obviously a late developer.  He once scored both for and against Bolton in a 1-1 draw at Burnden. He later said he cherished the one he scored for Bolton as it was his childhood dream.

He developed well at Plymouth & Ian Greaves made an offer but Bobby Robson, top division and a great squad swooped as well. He said he had intended to sign for us but no way could he turn that offer down. Then England selection & later to Arsenal.

Later managing Plymouth & in America, then a coach, including at Bolton School, England and some with England Ladies. It's probably best, in these Woke days, his opinion of them not be broadcast.

He had a brain tumour diagnosed & operated on ladt August. All the vibes were good & positive. It all took a bad turn again a few months ago.

Brilliant

17 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

He was 4 years oldef than me, same age as my brother. We played together, but I was the very young hanger on.

Desperately wanted to sign for Bolton but, shades if Alan Ball, they said he was too small and slight. Never even got a trial.

Played for Old Rivingtontonians & signed for Chorley from them. We were impressed, but a bit surprised, when Plymouth came in for him.

Within no time he had bulked up and continued to add height. Obviously a late developer.  He once scored both for and against Bolton in a 1-1 draw at Burnden. He later said he cherished the one he scored for Bolton as it was his childhood dream.

Later managing Plymouth & in America, then a coach, including at Bolton School, England and some with England Ladies. It's probably best, in these Woke days, his opinion of them not be broadcast.

He had a brain tumour diagnosed & operated on ladt August. All the vibes were good & positive. It all took a bad turn again a few months ago.

A cracking post summing the man up, was talking to him in the Chorley clubhouse, and he was so down to earth.

4 hours ago, Max Cherry said:

I remember reading the same thing in Shoot and being equally thrilled. 

RIP Paul, thoughts with his friends and family.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

He was born & brought up in Horwich. Top end of Longworth Road, where it bends to join Brownlow Road

Aye, that's where my dad said he was from too, they live further down between Brownlow and Longworth

2 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

He was 4 years older than me, same age as my brother. We played together, but I was the very young hanger on.

Desperately wanted to sign for Bolton but, shades of Alan Ball, they said he was too small and slight. Never even got a trial.

Played for Old Rivingtonians & signed for Chorley from them. We were impressed, but a bit surprised, when Plymouth came in for him.

Within no time he had bulked up and continued to add height. Obviously a late developer.  He once scored both for and against Bolton in a 1-1 draw at Burnden. He later said he cherished the one he scored for Bolton as it was his childhood dream, if not in that manner.

Later managing Plymouth & in America, then a coach, including Head of Sports at Bolton School, England and some with England Ladies. It's probably best, in these woke days, his opinion of that standard not be broadcast.

He had a brain tumour diagnosed & operated on last Autumn. All the vibes were good & positive. He was lively & upbeat on Twitter up to about 3 months ago. It seems it all took a bad turn again a few months ago.

RIP Paul. Just a year older than me and I played in the same league at Old Haywardians but he is likely to have moved to Chorley before I was playing in that league. Always come across as a total gentleman and it’s the good guys who die young

46 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

RIP Paul. Just a year older than me and I played in the same league at Old Haywardians but he is likely to have moved to Chorley before I was playing in that league. Always come across as a total gentleman and it’s the good guys who die young

He'll have signed for Chorley from Old Rivs around 1970-1 aged maybe 17. Broke his leg in the first season.

Joined Plymouth in 73. Joined Ipswich in 1976, debuted in September that year. You'd have to wonder if we'd have ever signed Frank W if we'd got Paul. Who kows ?