Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Oldham v Bolton 1976

BoltonBoy80

16 minutes ago, BoltonBoy80 said:

Does anybody remember going Oldham away 23.10.1976?

game finished 2-2

Did we take big following and were any of the goals scored in front of Bolton end? 

I went most of the Oldham matches in that era, we always took a huge following, but with age you cant recall what end we scored in.

• Members
19 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

No doubt. I reckon the breeze block challenges it now though. A 28000 seater, concrete heat sink in a wind exposed bog.

Do you remember Derby 1-0 at home in January, Stelios last minute winner? I reckon that was colder than in Belgrade a few weeks before it 

2 hours ago, leigh white said:

I went most of the Oldham matches in that era, we always took a huge following, but with age you cant recall what end we scored in.

Pretty sure Oldham played in Orange.

2-2. Greaves & Taylor. 15,811

We had recently sold Barry Siddall & Jim McD was in goal. 

Nicko, Dunne, Greaves, P Jones, Allardyce, Morgan, Whatmore, Taylor, Reid, Waldron

The Bolton News

MENU

4th October 2003

25 YEARS AGO: October 23, 1976

ROY Greaves and Steve Taylor got the goals as Wanderers came from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 at Oldham in a game marred by a 27th minute double dismissal.

Both teams were reduced to 10 men when Blackpool ref Ken Walmsley sent off Willie Morgan and Latics' player David Shaw for an off-the-ball spat.

Edited by Dr. Feelgood

5 minutes ago, emus wig said:

Always think of Alan Groves when I think of Oldham always played well against us . Usually left his mark one way or another .

Aye. ... & the ginger lad, Graham Bell, who unded up plaing 100 games for us 1983-85. Good player.

Groves was a complicated guy. Married his girlfriend as soon as she turned 16. Once dribbled the ball to the dug-out & kicked it at a former manager who'd sold him. Died, aged only 29, at home, after a training session from a heart attack.

• Site Supporter
23 hours ago, Rudy said:

Do you remember Derby 1-0 at home in January, Stelios last minute winner? I reckon that was colder than in Belgrade a few weeks before it 

Not specifically, though a last minute winner warms you up.

A couple of dull games under Parky left me genuinely shivering with the cold.

Couldn't wait to fuck off and warm up walking back to the car.

There's a chap called Carl Spiers written a book about Oldham Ath in the 70s and it is full of tales of admiration about massive Bolton invasions of Oldham and the ensuing trouble. I can only really remember from 77 onwards and even then through the eyes of a child ... but it seems we just overwhelmed the grounds of our neighbours in derby matches. Blackpool fans would reluctantly admit the same thing. Pity we never played Wigan in the 70s - although they got a milder dose of the same thing in the 80s more than once. 

Coldest at a match? I remember a home match v Brenford in the mid-80s with Steve Perryman playing for them. Never been as cold since.  There were one or two freezing winters in the 80s and our undersoil heating meant we played when others didn't! You had to wear several layers!

• Site Supporter
35 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

There's a chap called Carl Spiers written a book about Oldham Ath in the 70s and it is full of tales of admiration about massive Bolton invasions of Oldham and the ensuing trouble. I can only really remember from 77 onwards and even then through the eyes of a child ... but it seems we just overwhelmed the grounds of our neighbours in derby matches. Blackpool fans would reluctantly admit the same thing. Pity we never played Wigan in the 70s - although they got a milder dose of the same thing in the 80s more than once. 

Coldest at a match? I remember a home match v Brenford in the mid-80s with Steve Perryman playing for them. Never been as cold since.  There were one or two freezing winters in the 80s and our undersoil heating meant we played when others didn't! You had to wear several layers!

Vaguely remember that Brentford match. Was it a midweek? Seem to think we lost 1-0.

I certainly remember Perryman playing, I was at an age where I thought they were brilliant because they'd got him. Around 86 I'd guess

Perryman must have an extreme view of Bolton & it's temperatures.  We played Spurs in an FA Cup replay on a January Tuesday night in 1978 & Perryman played. 

That is my 'coldesr ever'. It went to extra time too. I thought my fingers would drop off. Put it thisxway, my car had Jack Frost windows on the inside & the lock was so frozen I ended up, in what was an all or nothing moment, pissing on it to allow the key in.

That, reader, was when I dreamt up contact-free key fobs.

On 16/07/2021 at 00:20, Dr. Feelgood said:

Still looking for stuff but meanwhile found this from April 76 at Burnden.

https://youtu.be/FwV1nrgP5uc

Before my time - bit was Peter Thompson always that good? 

Also like the way someone got clattered by 3 separate players when he was clean through and goal and the commentator says 

"And this could be a booking here"

Different world!

44 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Vaguely remember that Brentford match. Was it a midweek? Seem to think we lost 1-0.

I certainly remember Perryman playing, I was at an age where I thought they were brilliant because they'd got him. Around 86 I'd guess

Aye midweek. It was the year we got relegated to Div 4. Perryman somehow managed to control the game from right back. He may even have been their player manager. It was 0-2.

It was absolutely freezing.

53 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Before my time - bit was Peter Thompson always that good? 

Also like the way someone got clattered by 3 separate players when he was clean through and goal and the commentator says 

"And this could be a booking here"

Different world!

Thompson was exactly that good ... & more. On younger days, at Liverpool he was that good at the top level.

Ramsay chose that the modern way was not to have wingers. Ot was a travesty to this guy. (But, hey. He won the World Cup doing that !!)

Clubs put 2, even 3 defenders on him. Yet still he often came out with the ball. It also meant 1 or 2 other players were unmarked.

4 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Thompson was exactly that good ... & more. On younger days, at Liverpool he was that good at the top level.

Ramsay chose that the modern way was not to have wingers. Ot was a travesty to this guy. (But, hey. He won the World Cup doing that !!)

Clubs put 2, even 3 defenders on him. Yet still he often came out with the ball. It also meant 1 or 2 other players were unmarked.

Hell of a player by the looks of it. Love watching players before my era!

• Site Supporter
48 minutes ago, Popeye doyle said:

Remember those days like they were only a few years ago. 1976 was when we missed out on promotion narrowly to West Brom, I was heartbroken. Then we missed out the following season to Forest. Finally managed promotion in 1978 to the 1st division (now prem).

The best years ever watching the Whites. As has been said before, some of our away followings were mental & there were so many iconic games in that era. 

9 hours ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

The best years ever watching the Whites. As has been said before, some of our away followings were mental & there were so many iconic games in that era. 

Indeed. I remember in ‘77 getting home from work, quick sarnie and off in my mini van to the league cup semi final at Everton. No ticket, no idea where the ground was in Liverpool but aged 18 and didn’t give a fuck, went on a whim. Managed to buy a ticket at the ground for the side opposite the main stand. I was so envious of the Bolton fans packed behind the goal to my left and wished I was in there. Anyway I had the sense to keep quiet except when we equalised late on and jumped out of my seat screaming, just me and one other scouser sat next to me. He was a Liverpool fan who’d brought his Everton supporting nephew to the game, I found out. T’was a great night. Unfortunately I can still see in my minds eye stood In the Lever end Latchford heading in the winner in the 2nd leg. Wembley a dream that would have to wait.

Also remember Ray Clemence coming on at half time to do a presentation and the Evertonians singing Pinocchio at him.