Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

MK Dons (H)

Rudy

34 minutes ago, woolli said:

I agree regarding MJ. half, way off the pace, and on another day, could have been sent off. Sheehan finds fantastic space, and looked really promising. Bakayoko, great going forward, defensively is where his problem lies. Poor tackle to give away the free kick for the 2nd, and just looks an accident waiting to happen!

After seeing a few of the pre-season games, I did have a feeling that Bakayoko would be out wide, but it smacks of IE trying to fit both him and Doyle in to the side at the same time. May not necessarily be the case as Isgrove and Kachunga improve their fitness though. 

6 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

After seeing a few of the pre-season games, I did have a feeling that Bakayoko would be out wide, but it smacks of IE trying to fit both him and Doyle in to the side at the same time. May not necessarily be the case as Isgrove and Kachunga improve their fitness though. 

Isgrove looked so different yesterday; thought it was another bloke with his shirt on; Baka was good in the air and probably better up top and I prefer Isgrove out wide for his defensive qualities. 

Really enjoyed it yesterday, great to be back and an excellent game that could have gone either way. Cut out the mistakes and we are going to do fine I think.  The level in opposition was far above anything last season.

Josh Sheehan MOM, a very tidy player and all his dead balls were good. With him in the team our goals total from set pieces is about to significantly improve.

Doyle looked very slow indeed, Gilks could of done better with their goals.  The rest of them were superb, couple of defensive errors, one of which cost us, the other cleared off the line, but besides that we’re looking good and organised.  The fans were fabulous, as said earlier in the thread, the atmosphere was excellent, all three sides blasting songs out.  Great bumping into so many old skool too, that’s my favourite thing about supporting Bolton, all the old heads was out.  If we can carry on supporting like that we’ll get the best out of our team and fingers crossed rewards at the end of the season, anything above 9th is a bonus.

1 hour ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Isgrove looked so different yesterday; thought it was another bloke with his shirt on; Baka was good in the air and probably better up top and I prefer Isgrove out wide for his defensive qualities. 

Isgrove left Jones a bit exposed a couple of times which is very much unlike him but I’m happy to put it down to his disrupted pre season. 

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Rudy said:

Great to be back, when the lads came out it was deafening 

MJ doesn’t look fit to be me, and Doyle certainly doesn’t 

Id expect Gilks to do better with all three goals, his distribution was good though 

Sheehan looks a class above 

Kachunga looked tidy when he came on

MOM for me was the big man Bakayoko, every touch came off, rarely lost the ball, worked his bollocks off , and scored. Brilliant debut.

Glad you thought so, and it wasn't just me. Especially at the end, I was worried when they countered as he looked shot. He passed the ball well and did what he does though. Doyle also behind but he showed good movement and I hope they can get him coaching at some point as he clearly has the brain.

I thought isgrove looked sharp when he came on, but didn't realise he was as short as he appeared! 

Was an entertaining game, great fun being back in the stadium and was one of the best atmospheres at a home game in recent times.

Draw fair result as I think both teams had chances to win the game. Promising start to the season against a very capable side. Great to see the debutants getting goal contributions.

• Members
23 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Glad you thought so, and it wasn't just me. Especially at the end, I was worried when they countered as he looked shot. He passed the ball well and did what he does though. Doyle also behind but he showed good movement and I hope they can get him coaching at some point as he clearly has the brain.

I thought isgrove looked sharp when he came on, but didn't realise he was as short as he appeared! 

Sarc looked knackered at the end as wellCompetitive match fitness is different, plus competition for places will give players a kick up the arse to get match fit

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I think it's going to be a fitness awakening having less possession and control of the pace of game as we had last  season, was easy for us to conserve energy by keeping the ball for long periods and dictating whether the game was slowed down or speeded up.

Not likely we'll have such a luxury at this level, the only concerning bit for me wasn't that we blew up late on (we kept going till the end hence the equalizer) but that we had a few that looked short of speed, in and around their box but more concerningly when we lost it and were countered on. First half hour we struggled to get about their midfielders and pressure them enough, later in game, as they tired a bit, it evened up and we started to force errors and Sheehan got on ball more, in more space than he was operating in first half. 

It's a strange one. Overall, fitness wise, we arguably lasted the 95 minutes better than them but in a one paced sort of way, where we lacked speed in some key areas but kept boxing on and finally exploited them getting a bit ragged at the end. 

MJ not the quickest off the mark, Sarce not enough pace two or three times to exploit situations in their box, Doyle same, half a yard short. Some mitigating circumstances for him but nagging issue that he'll just be that half yard short at this level, at his age, anyway. With that bit more sharpness over short distances we could have had three first half when their calamity keeper and centre backs kept gifting us the ball

If we bring any more in before end of window I'd like to see them be nippier, speed merchants who can get about, cover ground quickly and seize on errors more ruthlessly. 

Don't want that to all sound like a load of moaning, I hugely enjoyed yesterday and there was so much to like about us and how we tried to play, and how we scored 3 in our first game at a higher level

• Site Supporter

Evatt said before, and after the game that possession would be lower in this game, as both sides play the same way.

Against different teams, we may well have more of the ball, and may be able to conserve energy, but we may also not create as much and will have to work hard to win games; we may have to be patient.

I'm not sure these players will be less fit than their opponents as we go through the season, but playing the way we do saps energy. Hence the need for a decent squad.

• Members

There was an old codger in the ESL with his old codger wife 

I stood up when Doyle had a shot just outside the post the following is the conversation 

“Oi will you sit down!”

”huh?”

“I couldn’t see the shot then”

”fuckin hell mate I jumped up thinking he was going to score”

”well i couldnt see”

haha Jesus mate look round me or stand up yourself”

”I’m not standing I’ve paid for this seat, if you do that again I’ll get the steward”

”haha so I can’t jump up, you’re a clown mate”

”well don’t stand up when something good is happening”

”fuckin shut up you boring bastard”

ahhh it felt good to be back 

8 hours ago, MickyD said:

Interesting read from a MK Dons perspective.

THE MELTDOWN – BOLTON WANDERERS
7 days on and thankfully it was back to the bread & butter stuff of League football after one of the worst weeks in the history of the Dons.

<SNIP>

I did enjoy the fans, of the club that left one city fro another without regard for their fans, critising their manager for doing exactly the same.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

The MKD free kick, on 1.24.

How many yards was that was from the ball ? It's a darn sight more than 10.

Bakayoko is stood (slightly ahead actually) on the same 'across' lawn mark as the penatlty spot.

The ball is level with the D (slightly ahead maybe), and on a 'lengthwise' mower line.

The width btween the mark where the ball is, and where Bakayoko is stood looks to be about 2 yards (ish) (both he, and the MK forward, look like they would fill it it they laid down).

With simple school geometry , we can see the wall is the square root of the sum of the squres of the width (2 yard) and vertical distance (10 yards). which would be around 10.19 yards, but I think slightly less than that as I think the ball is slightly in front of the D.

So maybe 3 inches further than 10 yards. It may have been the one single thing the ref got right all game.

Certainly nearer 10 than 11.

1 minute ago, ZiggyStardust said:

Bakayoko is stood (slightly ahead actually) on the same 'across' lawn mark as the penatlty spot.

<SNIP>

As an aside, I do remeber a few years ago, Rob Styles gave Newcastle a free kick on the D, bob on centre of goal.

He then made the wall line up about a yard behind the penatly spot.

Nolan got booked for pointing the inconsistacy of this, and reminding Styles that it was his responsibilty to ensure the correct dimensions before kick off.

• Moderators
On 07/08/2021 at 18:21, Tonge moor green jacket said:

John looked crocked at the end too- time for Jackson back?

Thought he played well second half, in particular the interception, run and cross for our second 

Expect him to do well this season, like a pacey full back me

4 hours ago, Breightmet Boy said:

The fans were fabulous, as said earlier in the thread, the atmosphere was excellent, all three sides blasting songs out.  Great bumping into so many old skool too, that’s my favourite thing about supporting Bolton, all the old heads was out.  If we can carry on supporting like that we’ll get the best out of our team and fingers crossed rewards at the end of the season, anything above 9th is a bonus.

Best quote of the day.

• The topic was pinned