Jump to content
Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

MK Dons (H)


Rudy
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, fatolive said:

Just loved being back in there.loved the fact we scored a brilliant free kick  Loved the fact there were dickheads talking shite behind me again, Loved the fact I was frustrated by a ref, loved the fact I was annoyed by opposition shithousery, loved the players running celebrating in front of us , loved seeing my 10 year olds joy when the equaliser went in in the last seconds  , loved the fact I was nervous when they went forward from their kick off with about 10 seconds left  , loved the atmosphere , loved the fact it pissed down walking in, dried up a bit  then pissed down again walking back to the car ,  no negatives at all for me today, next game maybe there will be but loved every bit of today. 

 

Normally the ground is half empty when the players come out of the tunnel, but that roar today was just incredible. Was welling up even at that point. Pretty much all the same faces around us which was great. Though a few of the younger ones have sprung up a foot or two in the absence! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

What a game of football. 

Negative bits first:

They were decent, particularly on the break. 

When the time was right they targeted Williams, especially given his early card, and tried to hurry him. Quick and caused us problems at times.

Perhaps some work to do on the defensive side of our game, as a team, though the defence were reasonable. Obviously can't give the ball away like we did for their first.

They were masters of the dark arts too, and the lino on the west side was too slow and missed off sides.

Positive aspects, we passed the ball quickly and moved well. Pressed at times and forced errors and created chances. Perhaps could have been a bit quicker to get shots away, but overall we're a joy to watch going forward and they got the crowd going and it made for a good atmosphere. 

Once we got Baka into the game after around 10 minutes, he really played well; worked hard and linked well.

Battled too when we had to, and they all worked their bollocks off.

Both teams bent over at the end, and we will no doubt need the squad for the season.

Question- was it a penalty for us first half, it appeared so but ref was adamant?

John looked crocked at the end too- time for Jackson back?

 

On bench for Hudds today, not likely to swap their bench for our's. 

Good summary of the game, it was breathless, entertaining stuff.  Most other contributors seemed a bit underwhelmed but I thought it was a superb game of football, I'd be surprised if there are many better this season, could have been 5-5.  Saying that I don't recall either keeper making a save! TBH they both looked a bit non league today. 

Enjoyed it from 1st minute to 96th, a proper game played at great pace. 

I've seen a few comments that league 2 is a similar standard to league one and its not much of a step up, I never thought that and nobody that watched that today can think that surely, given that MK Dons were mid table, nobody we played last year were anywhere near that standard, especially going forward.  Some of their players had championship class and we did superb to get upto their level at times, well chuffed with a draw. 

Johnstone and Bakayoko can be well pleased with their debuts.  Dapo infuriating but he'll get better.  Sarcevic looked a real captain, bursting every sinew to drive the team forward, just lacks that yard of sharpness at times that looks like the difference between a goal and a near miss, similar to Doyle who grafted but just lacked that extra 10%.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

They were similar to us today, looked good going forward but shaky at the back. I'd fancy them to be near the play offs though and we might have a chance if we can steady the ship at the back

I'm sure in the space of a week we've gone from thinking our problem is scoring goals whilst being solid at the back, to worrying about our defence and thinking we're sorted up front.  I think we'll be average at the back over the season once Santos is playing and hopefully our keeper situation improves, so hopefully we can continue to look like scoring a few.  We could easily have had 5 today and I can count on the fingers of one hand how many times that was the case last season, the attitude just looked more positive and attack minded.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, fatolive said:

Just loved being back in there.loved the fact we scored a brilliant free kick  Loved the fact there were dickheads talking shite behind me again, Loved the fact I was frustrated by a ref, loved the fact I was annoyed by opposition shithousery, loved the players running celebrating in front of us , loved seeing my 10 year olds joy when the equaliser went in in the last seconds  , loved the fact I was nervous when they went forward from their kick off with about 10 seconds left  , loved the atmosphere , loved the fact it pissed down walking in, dried up a bit  then pissed down again walking back to the car ,  no negatives at all for me today, next game maybe there will be but loved every bit of today. 

 

Good summary, me too.  Anyone disappointed  by anything today...it really beggars belief.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So enjoyed being back, fantastic atmosphere at start and roof came off at the end with that equalizer. Still a lot to do on the state of the stadium and I'd hoped they might have been able to use the year off to refresh the food and drink offer, which is really samey and tired. Can't do everything at once though, especially in current circumstances. 

On the game, great entertainment, a lot to like though some tough lessons learned about life up a Division. Bit more ruthless in their third and less naive in ours and we'll win some games. Bakayoko a revelation, real handful, added a major new dimension to our attack. Johnston great apart from that error for their first, reading of danger really good. Sheehan came into game more the longer it wore on as more spaces appeared. 

Dapo found it a bit tougher against a robust defender but still occupied and worried them a fair bit, Doyle clearly a bit of time required to get to full sharpness. Thought both our full backs were at full stretch defensively, Jones especially so last half an hour. 

Apart from that a really good , exciting game against a decent outfit where we made enough situations happen to have won 5 or 6 - 3. 

We didn't necessarily deserve to win but the least we deserved was a draw. Solid start, rest up and move on

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter

I was hoping  we'd sign Mo Eisa, looked a threat all game.

We could easily have won, all their goals were down to mistakes but I'll take a draw.

I actually enjoyed the game of football, it was pretty entertaining.

If MJ and Sheehan are on form, we'll win plenty of games.

Thought we badly missed Santos despite the 2 centre halves being OK. Santos is a step up on both

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Thought we badly missed Santos despite the 2 centre halves being OK. Santos is a step up on both

Not sure if Santos would have read the game quite as well as Johnston to clear that one off the line in the first half, but I may be doing him a disservice on that one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Not sure if Santos would have read the game quite as well as Johnston to clear that one off the line in the first half, but I may be doing him a disservice on that one. 

Maybe not. Baps & Johnston though are ball playing, readers of the game.

Santos more of a physical presence to compliment one of them.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the battle for them positions shape up and I've not seen Aimson properly yet

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Maybe not. Baps & Johnston though are ball playing, readers of the game.

Santos more of a physical presence to compliment one of them.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the battle for them positions shape up and I've not seen Aimson properly yet

Nice to have that competition compared to shitting ourselves last season whenever Baptiste or Santos got a knock.

Spent all pre-season thinking Johnston was Aimson and vice versa so I’ve decided to withdraw any previous opinions until he gets a couple of proper run outs 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Not sure if Santos would have read the game quite as well as Johnston to clear that one off the line in the first half, but I may be doing him a disservice on that one. 

I thought Johnston was very good (for the most part!) but clearly isn't the physical beast that Santos is. Their forwards did win a few aerial duals, which they might not have otherwise, but I was impressed seeing him for the first time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BobyBrno said:

No analysis.

Loved being back. 

That’s all. 

Good shout. 

It just seemed a respectful response to the knee, 6 goals shared, 3 goal celebrations, a thrilling, entertaining game and just being back in the stadium with our fantastic fans was more than enough today.

Great day 👏

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I thought Johnston was very good (for the most part!) but clearly isn't the physical beast that Santos is. Their forwards did win a few aerial duals, which they might not have otherwise, but I was impressed seeing him for the first time.

I wonder if, once Santos is fit, there's a place for Johnston as a defensive midfield shield, would stiffen us up a fair bit in games where we're likely to enjoy less possession than we were used to last season

One of my few concerns from a really good afternoon was that we struggled to get about them physically in midfield for half an hour or so and they found it a bit too easy to get at us. Johnston in front of Santos and Baps would be very solid away from home v top end sides

Just a very early days thought, no doubt Ian E has seen a lot today and will reflect on it

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, ianofcleveleys said:

I wonder if, once Santos is fit, there's a place for Johnston as a defensive midfield shield, would stiffen us up a fair bit in games where we're likely to enjoy less possession than we were used to last season

One of my few concerns from a really good afternoon was that we struggled to get about them physically in midfield for half an hour or so and they found it a bit too easy to get at us. Johnston in front of Santos and Baps would be very solid away from home v top end sides

Just a very early days thought, no doubt Ian E has seen a lot today and will reflect on it

 

 

 

I hear you and to an extent agree. Think I'd trust Thomason or Lee in that role more though.

Not sure who/what gets sacrificed for that extra body. Lovely conundrums for Evatt to solve

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really enjoyed that and apologies if I’m repeating what anyone has said. 

Gilks solid at claiming but feel like a more agile keeper would’ve gotten a hand on a least two of the goals. 

Can see a player in Johnston. Good ball playing defender despite the lapse for the first.

John poor 1st half, decent enough 2nd. 

Dapo disappointing but we all know his qualities. 

Big supporter of Doyle but perhaps he is a step behind at this level. Although the has missed a chunk of pre season too.

Very happy with Baka. Sheehan different class. 

Would’ve been gutted to lose. Disappointed with conceding three at home and giving away the lead, but buzzing all told. Atmosphere incredible at times. Can’t wait for Wimbledon. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

And I’d rather have competent bar staff than my fucking name on a brick! Shocking time to get served

why the fuck are we pouring pints get with the times ffs 

ESL. 3 staff, 2 on tills, 1 pouring pints

when did they stop showing the game on the tvs to

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Casino pinned this topic
  • Casino unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.