Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Question. Save my sanity please.

Dr. Feelgood

I'm wracking my memory for a name of a former squad member.

A few years ago we had a youth team keeper, who was a local lad & major Bolton fan, was given a place on the bench for a cup game. Can't remember his name or the match.

Truth be told they were about to release him. He knew this btw.

10 minutes to go, result settled, the manager gave him a white shirt & told him he was going on, up front, for 5 minutes. 

He was so utterly, totally proud. Ended up non-league & faded out of view, but he did it.

I'm sure purists wouldn't agree but that was brilliant of the manager & for the lad.

I'm trying to remember who it was.

Matty Glennon is the only name I can dream up.

49 minutes ago, BWFC_LOVE said:

Ian Walker was great for us when called upon. 

Ian Walker artived at Bolton as a seasoned pro with England caps and a great pedigree. He had 499 Premiership appearances.

He fulfilled a 3 year contract ... and left Bolton with 499 Premiership appearances. Obviously Jussi was a great keeper and thorough professional and fortunate with fitness in that time. But Waljer never got so much as a 5 minute appearance as sub when we were plenty up. I understand I may be being sentimental but I think that was harsh ... & (witness Allardyce's soft side with Sam Ashton) was clearly down to Jussi's temperament.

I know little of him outside his career, but I wonder if he wasn't/isn't a bit of a miseable twunk.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Ian Walker artived at Bolton as a seasoned pro with England caps and a great pedigree. He had 499 Premiership appearances.

He fulfilled a 3 year contract ... and left Bolton with 499 Premiership appearances. Obviously Jussi was a great keeper and thorough professional and fortunate with fitness in that time. But Waljer never got so much as a 5 minute appearance as sub when we were plenty up. I understand I may be being sentimental but I think that was harsh ... & (witness Allardyce's soft side with Sam Ashton) was clearly down to Jussi's temperament.

I know little of him outside his career, but I wonder if he wasn't/isn't a bit of a miseable twunk.

I noticed he spoke highly of us on Twitter once. Given that Jussi was so good at that time I’m sure he understood. Got some European games if I recall. 

I particularly remember him making a great save when keeping a clean sheet at Doncaster.