Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

League cup ..Barnsley (h)

burnden

10 minutes ago, stevieb said:

Dunno but apart from the Bradford one in the efl trophy 2 years ago I can't think of any other penalty shootout at the reebok. 

Southampton in the League Cup when we drew them a couple of years in a row?

Really enjoyed that tonight. Barnsley were a bug’s dick off going up to the Prem last season and we matched them for 90 minutes even after half a dozen changes. Loving the different options IE has at his disposal now rather than being up shit creek whenever a first choice player was injured. 

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, stevieb said:

Dunno but apart from the Bradford one in the efl trophy 2 years ago I can't think of any other penalty shootout at the reebok. 

I had to Google it but we had one v Southampton in the league cup in 01/02 which we won 

I remember going to that game as it was a rare time in the north upper, but don't recall the shoot out

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Fairly sure Niemi (he’s only 28…) had a worldie that night 

Just realised from your last post i went to the one two seasons later, which would explain why i don't recall a shoot out

• Site Supporter

Enjoyed that, thought we weathered the storm early and settled in and played some good stuff. Thought Evatt changed it at the right time and the subs all had impact. They all scored a penalty too. 

Bak was superb when he came on. Santos looked at ease. 

cracking penalties all round for us. Comfortable and confident. 

all these things add up and with this winning mentality we have it’s bloody good to see these things swing in our favour! 

thoroughly deserved. 

good to be back! 

Really enjoyed that !!!  Barnsley were good ( their no 10 was excellent )& had some early chances & shaded the 1st half, but 2nd half, we got better & better especially after Bakayoko came on. By the end ,it was Barnsley who were hanging on & I was surprisingly confident going into the penalties.

It's given IE some choices for Saturday.  For me, Dixon did nothing wrong, Santos was majestic ....it's hard on either Johnston or Baptiste but Santos must start, Lee was good but Sheehan should shade it & Bakayoko must be favourite for the striker's position ....no problem with Doyle but Baka is a real handful.

It's great to have these choices now.

When's the draw for the next round ?

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, bolton va va said:

Really enjoyed that !!!  Barnsley were good ( their no 10 was excellent )& had some early chances & shaded the 1st half, but 2nd half, we got better & better especially after Bakayoko came on. By the end ,it was Barnsley who were hanging on & I was surprisingly confident going into the penalties.

It's given IE some choices for Saturday.  For me, Dixon did nothing wrong, Santos was majestic ....it's hard on either Johnston or Baptiste but Santos must start, Lee was good but Sheehan should shade it & Bakayoko must be favourite for the striker's position ....no problem with Doyle but Baka is a real handful.

It's great to have these choices now.

When's the draw for the next round ?

Tomorrow neet

Barnsley tipped to be one of the most fittest teams in the EFL with thier pressing but tonight I thought we really amped up the pressure later on & looked in better shape than them physically as the match got more open. As much as I love Baps (yes I know), Santos & Johnston looked to compliment each other absolute superbly as we hoped would be the case so hopefully that's the start of a promising partnership. Don't like to single a player out but does gnev want to throw a cheeky few quid at us for the Fonz? where's he going to fit in? Dapo, Baka, Kachunga, Izzy are all ahead of him & surely it's better for the club to try bleed Dennis back in instead of a 30 YO journeyman who looks like he can't even be arsed.

Felt like we did a lot of work off the ball in the first half and I was a bit worried we might tire in the second but it didn't happen and the work rate went up if anything.

Thought I was in Uganda walking past the hotel after the game after a battalion of child soldiers marched along ready to go to war 😂