Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

the drinks situation

victor meldrew

• Site Supporter

i'll do this in three parts, 

past , present , future,  in ground facilities 

when the stadium opened there were loads of options to go pre / post match.

aerospace social club , bromilow arms , barnstormers , beehive , greenwood , harvester , jeffersons , old orleans , lion of vienna,  bowling alley, i think for the first 2 seasons a bar on each concourse was open after the game to let traffic get away.  no problems.

present , harvester , hotel, bowling alley , luciano's .

absolute nightmare.

we went in harvester at 1pm , it was already virtually full, they were reusing single use plastic glasses which weren't clean , spoke to radcliffe ,who was already in the hotel , who said , get over now as still room , got there , "sorry full up" as others have said ,it wasn't.

by now it was chucking it down, where to  go , "bowling alley"  , anyway as we reached luciano's , there was an empty table under cover , so decamped there. great service , but don't fancy sitting outside  in winter. they ran out of beer!

didn't get a pre match drink in the ground , as too busy 

3.30 pm " who wants a beer", every fucking one !   so went down , small queue ,( no problem) yes there was , staff didn't know how to pour beer , wasting half a pint each time , i educate them how to do it .  great my turn " 12 pints of coors" horror !!!

six pints in , the keg runs out , no one knows how to change it , i offered several times to do for them , to no avail, fucking useless, by this time it was half time , the queues were massive, staff didn't know what to do , "just give me six pints of carling" every fan was fuming at not getting served.

this was in WSI d block so can't comment about other stands.

this situation has always been a problem since the stadium opened , the bars are not designed to serve a crowd.

even with contact less payment ( why only on one serving point) should be on all as it's miles quicker.

didn't bother trying for a drink after the game , so not sure how busy the hotel , harvesters were.

VERY DISAPPOINTING, the club, hotel and harvester need to pull their fingers out and make it work otherwise i think this will affect future attendances.

future

can't see missoula reopening as a bar , so can the harvester put a marquee up and use it as a can / bottle bar (served in clean plastic glasses) , same the the club and hotel ,reopen the fans zone,  employ enough staff to cope, or make something like they have at city .

BWFC , get some one in to completely redesign the concourse so it is fit for purpose , and you can actually make money and have have happy customers.

rant over 

That's what we get from playing footie in a retail park.

I like the idea of drinking in the the town centre but is the capacity of the trains up to it? Where can I get a pre match pint? Is the Alma still going?

Is the Welly an option?

Can only echo this inside the ground has been the same since day one

on my travels many clubs have much slicker operations I mean pints come on bottles is the way forward ffs it has been for years

have food only kiosks I know you can only work with the room available but there must be a better set up, them carrs pasty kiosks have fuck all in and that’s before the game total waste of time

i put the hotel down to staff problems/shortages as it’s delt with bigger crowds very well in the past 

6 minutes ago, Zico said:

Couldn't be arsed even trying harvester or hotel after so went back to h town for a few in the brewery bar and bowling green 

Bowling Green on Lee Lane?

Used to call in there a lot... how long does it take to walk to the ground?

• Members

ESL had 6 queues at one kiosk

5 of them cash only 

Who the shitting crikey has cash these days 

Every cunt and his dog was in the card queue. 
the amount of ale they were pouring away was criminal 

Edited by Rudy

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, Dimron said:

Bowling Green on Lee Lane?

Used to call in there a lot... how long does it take to walk to the ground?

Aye  

Reckon 30-40 mins

We were in a car but in the time it to walk to Tesco car park then drive back in post match traffic and monsoon conditions was still quicker than getting a pint in the harvester or hotel

Said it before a while ago on a different thread

Mary D’s next to the Etihad

Utter shithole. But had one of those machines that dumped twelve pints into 12 glasses/cups in about 5 seconds. One bloke feeding it and passing full pints to the bar. Queues non-existent. Not the best pint ever but who cares? Sneaked in there pretty much every time we played City with my brother who has an ST there. Place fucking rammed every time I went. Landlord of my local knew the owner. He sold so much beer he only needed to open on match day

Then we get to the concourse at The Etihad. Been loads when my brother has nobody going on his spare ST. Just before half time they have loads of pints lined up needing just a top up. Minimal queuing 

Then we get to all those open air bars at City Square outside the Etihad catering for home fans

Really not difficult if someone puts their mind to it 

1 hour ago, Zico said:

Aye  

Reckon 30-40 mins

We were in a car but in the time it to walk to Tesco car park then drive back in post match traffic and monsoon conditions was still quicker than getting a pint in the harvester or hotel

We need a pub crawl.

Start Bowling Green then Brewery Bar... is there another en route?

Going to have a ride out to check the geography now I've decided to do some home games, I know the away watering holes much better

7 minutes ago, Horwich said:

For a start, fanzone needs to return and paying fans need to be put infront of functions. 

BWFC cant be liable for pubs shutting down.

Kiosks need to be organsised better.

If the fanzone remained open during the game there’s a door from the concourse to the fanzone, use that to take pressure of the kiosks. Keep it open after the game for an hour to help stagger the crowds. 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, deane koontz said:

Pretty confident our owners will sort out the issues in the ground given how they've been going about business and sorting shit out. They seem to actually care about the fans.

And It was the first game back after 18 months of lockdown after all. 

not sure if they will...

If the catering is sub contracted, they'll get the same money regardless.. 

4 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

Can only echo this inside the ground has been the same since day one

on my travels many clubs have much slicker operations I mean pints come on bottles is the way forward ffs it has been for years

have food only kiosks I know you can only work with the room available but there must be a better set up, them carrs pasty kiosks have fuck all in and that’s before the game total waste of time

i put the hotel down to staff problems/shortages as it’s delt with bigger crowds very well in the past 

4 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

The issues at the hotel were caused by a wedding. ( not their fault). The Window area was sectioned off , for guests only .

The Bride And Groom arrived at 17.15 . Followed by a full coach load . So security had been told to limit numbers .

The wedding reception was to be held upstairs in one of the large sponsors lounges ..

Due to the horrible weather and the fact the M61 was shut causing  massive jams in the area , the people in the lounge were reluctant to leave  .

I do think the hotel ( remember under new management) had never experienced or expected a 16000 attendance were totally caught on the hop.

As usual the people on the frontline got the flack ( unfairly). 

In that I include the door men who at times were getting dogs abuse ( from people I have never seen in the hotel before) . The barstaff were doing the best they could.  

Hopefully on Monday there will be a hotel management inquiry into what happened. 

11 hours ago, Rudy said:

ESL had 6 queues at one kiosk

5 of them cash only 

Who the shitting crikey has cash these days 

Every cunt and his dog was in the card queue. 
the amount of ale they were pouring away was criminal 

I was stood in the queue at the 1st bar as you go through the turnstile for an age, watching a girl pour pint after pint away. She was emptying the drip tray twice for every pint she poured. Couldn't believe what I was seeing.

14 minutes ago, marple whites said:

Could well be more when the likes of Sheffield wed and Sunderland turn up

Maybe. But we can't expect radical changes (that probably cost loads) for 3 games a season. 

We always have teething issues with staff who can't pour a pint early in the season. 

That should improve things. Sounds oike more contact less payment would also help. 

And a Coors tap in the hall of fame is a MUST! 🤣