Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Lincoln City (A)

Smiley

• The topic was unpinned

Team spirit seems immense and the new lads look to have fitted right in,    this was shown in buckets last night when in injury time isgrove tracked back and non stop harassed their man into us winning a throw in,  Jones and Santos both ran over to isgrove applauding him like he had scored a winner     

15 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Remember him taking them with what was left of his kit after getting flattened in the mini pitch invasion, Mrs Dimron looks like a goldfish gulping at the top of the bowl... can't wait to show her

3 hours ago, L/H White said:

any mither after the game?  Police were running around like headless chickens

I saw a group of about 20 Lincoln youths on the corner of a dark terraced street a few hundred yards from the ground, goading maybe 10 BW lads, lots of shouting then fists flying for a minute or so.  Much ado about nothing as long as they're only fighting amongst other like minded (not innocent passers by as described above).  Lincoln's a pleasant, attractive city to visit and the locals welcoming, but the area of Sincil Bank is surprisingly rough and downbeat.

Didn't detract from a top away day though.

That was a hell of an example of how we've improved.  We could have lost 1-0 but some of the possession stuff was fantastic to watch.  Not necessarily the creative stuff, just the way we get ourselves out of tight spots with controlled, skilled and composed passing.  I don't think we once "launched it".  There was an incident in the 1st half when we absolutely should have launched it, because we played ourselves into trouble, but we'll have to learn to live with that risk because overall the impact was that we built attacks, and crucially tired out the opposition, instead of handing back possession with hurried clearances.  The 2nd half was as good a team performance as I can recall in recent seasons and that was without many individual 8 out of 10 performances. 

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

There was an incident in the 1st half when we absolutely should have launched it, because we played ourselves into trouble, but we'll have to learn to live with that risk because overall the impact was that we built attacks, and crucially tired out the opposition, instead of handing back possession with hurried clearances.

That is a really good point, which I was musing about in my mind yesterday at the point where we gifted them a chance. 

But what we gain from playing out from the back is so far outweighing the damage done by losing possession. It’s certainly a risk well worth taking and I hope at the point it does affect us - and it will at some point - we don’t become overly critical and start claiming we need to be more direct.

Evatt knows this is needed at times and with Baka’s physical presence and Sheehan’s range of passing it’s an option, but not one we need to be too reliant upon.

2 huge things for me: At 1-0 up we didn't even think about sitting back.  Only in injury time did it look like we wanted to hold onto what we had, before that the attitude was only ever positive.

And individually we can be so much better.  1st half Dapo, played a bit like v MK Dons - frustrating and wasteful.  A huge threat in 2nd half, Lincoln must have fouled him 8 times (but disappointingly only 1 booking).

First half Bakayoko didn't seem himself and it was a bit of a relief when he went off, I was thinking the same about Sheehan, he was losing possession or giving a foul away much of the time, big improvement 2nd half.  I love his style but in both games he's started that I've seen (MKD the other) he hasn't been at the races first half hour, he'll be some player if he can be as consistent as MJW.  MJ absolutely outstanding, probably the only player that was consistently above average in both halves, what composure in tight situations.  Jones for me joint MOM in 2nd half if not first, best I've seen him play, what an engine and positive attitude.

Kajunga arguably the key between 0-0 and 1-0, that extra sharpness and yard of pace/aggression not only created the goal but won us possession/free kicks so many times.

• Site Supporter

Those of us over a certain age would only ever remember goal kicks and drop-kicks just being booted beyond the half way line. It was just about 50/50 who got the ball and then around 50/50 again as to who got the second ball. It felt safe that any attack by the opposition wasn’t because we’d hoofed it but because the opposition got lucky that they won both the first and second balls.

Stubbs was one of the few players who would play the ball out from the back comfortably. Even that used to give us kittens in case he lost it on our side of the half way line.

These days most teams seem to be playing it out from the back and building play from deep inside our own half.

When did it all change from “ ‘ave it!” Peter Kay style?

3 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Those of us over a certain age would only ever remember goal kicks and drop-kicks just being booted beyond the half way line. It was just about 50/50 who got the ball and then around 50/50 again as to who got the second ball. It felt safe that any attack by the opposition wasn’t because we’d hoofed it but because the opposition got lucky that they won both the first and second balls.

Stubbs was one of the few players who would play the ball out from the back comfortably. Even that used to give us kittens in case he lost it on our side of the half way line.

These days most teams seem to be playing it out from the back and building play from deep inside our own half.

Somewhere between Guardiola and the change in goal kicks having to leave the penalty area

29 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Lincoln's a pleasant, attractive city to visit and the locals welcoming, but the area of Sincil Bank is surprisingly rough and downbeat.

Didn't detract from a top away day though.

I've made my home there, I used to have my office & yard in the Sincil Bank area when I had my own company in the 90s... in those days it was attractive terraces with hanging baskets, decent boozers and such. Things have changed for the worst like most cities. Didn't like walking with my Mrs along Scorer Street an such in the dark last night.

6 minutes ago, MickyD said:

To his credit Stubbs could tackle as well.

I'm friends with a bloke who used to be Chairman at Lincoln City in the 90s... let them have the midfield was what he used to say, we don't need it...  and they got results 🙂

10 minutes ago, desperado said:

That is a really good point, which I was musing about in my mind yesterday at the point where we gifted them a chance. 

But what we gain from playing out from the back is so far outweighing the damage done by losing possession. It’s certainly a risk well worth taking and I hope at the point it does affect us - and it will at some point - we don’t become overly critical and start claiming we need to be more direct.

Evatt knows this is needed at times and with Baka’s physical presence and Sheehan’s range of passing it’s an option, but not one we need to be too reliant upon.

Agreed, its the positives outweighing the negatives from that style of play, it makes us look dangerous and capable of breaking quickly whenever we get possession, however deep in our half it is.  When we were attempting it a year ago with the likes of White, Greenidge, Comley, Taft it wasn't going to work, they don't have the technical ability.  The current players, including Gordon as others have said, can carry it off 8 or 9 times out of 10.  (Johnstone a huge signing in that respect too, another that didn't have his best game passing wise last night, but technically a step up in quality, a great signing). 

15 minutes ago, Dimron said:

I've made my home there, I used to have my office & yard in the Sincil Bank area when I had my own company in the 90s... in those days it was attractive terraces with hanging baskets, decent boozers and such. Things have changed for the worst like most cities. Didn't like walking with my Mrs along Scorer Street an such in the dark last night.

I think Scorer St was near where the trouble was, I remember noticing the apt name for a street near a footy ground.  Near that canal that looks filthy and neglected.  My brother lives in Lincoln, opposite side of city, his wife used to live in Sincil Bank and didn't think of it as rough at the time but as you say times change.

25 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Somewhere between Guardiola and the change in goal kicks having to leave the penalty area

Yes, the success of Spain from about 12 years ago playing tippy tappy stuff, and Barca.  Then as you say Pep bringing it to City.  And crucially pitches being like bowling greens now.  Imagine trying to play that stuff in league one on that Burnden pitch, in fact most pitches prior to turn of century.  We played great stuff under Rioch but far more direct than the Evatt version especially in our own half.

5 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Yes, the success of Spain from about 12 years ago playing tippy tappy stuff, and Barca.  Then as you say Pep bringing it to City.  And crucially pitches being like bowling greens now.  Imagine trying to play that stuff in league one on that Burnden pitch, in fact most pitches prior to turn of century.  We played great stuff under Rioch but far more direct than the Evatt version especially in our own half.

The change in the goal kick rule has had a massive impact IMO