Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Football cult heroes - Okocha

Rudy

7 hours ago, Rudy said:

A good listen that Rudy

On 11/08/2021 at 08:32, Rudy said:

Quality stuff that. Cheers.

I could bore everyone to death about the experience of watching JJ...There was  a reason we sang that song about him .

The perfect 10 away at spurs where he hit the bar 4 (four) times all from 20 to 30 yards out , which got him an ovation from the Spurs fans , and his performance against West Ham to practically guarantee us safety all overshadowed what for me was his finest ever performance . Home to Man City  and at 0-0 he missed a penalty for the first (and I think only time in his career) . He was so upset that he took it upon himself to dismantle the entire opposition single handedly and orchestrated a 2-0 win practically on his own , like an English archer at Crecy an utter hero .

He was let go a year too soon , and in his last season took every corner , both sides, every free kick and every throw in and captain

I remember questions about his age as he had no birth certificate (allegedly) but fuck me he WAS the club for those years . We will never see his like again in my lifetime  and I can only feel sorry for those that werent there to see him .  We paid to see Okocha ...I cant think of any modern day footballer I would pay to see if they werent at Bolton but I did do for him ....on a few occasions in Hull .

• Moderators

Dunno how true it is, but the spurs game

Story is that warmong up pre match he went to fetch a stray ball

Robbie keane megged him as he went to collect it

The rest, as they say, is history

That performance ranks alongside diouf at brum, joyce v bristol city and jussi at hull