Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cambridge (A)

burnden

3 hours ago, Rudy said:

Wetherspoons it is then 😂

That's where I'll be headed to, aiming to get in there from around 11:30(ish)  -  I reckon from the train station it's about only a mile. From there to the ground probably about two miles, so it's not so bad really....or just jump in a taxi if it's shit weather. Between the 'Spoons and the ground there are The Duke of Cambridge and then The Corner House, if you need to stop for a pint on the way..................I've been in them both in the past, but never on match day, so I'm sure @CambridgeBWFCwill be able to confirm if they're shit or not on a Saturday 😂

53 minutes ago, Sweep said:

That's where I'll be headed to, aiming to get in there from around 11:30(ish)  -  I reckon from the train station it's about only a mile. From there to the ground probably about two miles, so it's not so bad really....or just jump in a taxi if it's shit weather. Between the 'Spoons and the ground there are The Duke of Cambridge and then The Corner House, if you need to stop for a pint on the way..................I've been in them both in the past, but never on match day, so I'm sure @CambridgeBWFCwill be able to confirm if they're shit or not on a Saturday 😂

Never mind that, I’m waiting for @CambridgeBWFC to tell us to cancel hotel and crash at his instead 

• Members
1 hour ago, Sweep said:

I’ll see you then

10 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Never mind that, I’m waiting for @CambridgeBWFC to tell us to cancel hotel and crash at his instead 

Too late I’ve already cancelled mine. 
Nice one Cambridge 

2 hours ago, Sweep said:

Not been in either, The tram depot just around the corner from the Duke is alright enough and the Elm tree sells a good range of Belgian beers, although I think they fly them all over first class given the price they charge for some 

1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

I’ll see you then

Too late I’ve already cancelled mine. 
Nice one Cambridge 

Ha, buy me a round in all the pubs I have mentioned and I might just consider it, although the hotel would be a cheaper option 

5 hours ago, Sweep said:

Don't forget my pork pies

Edited by L/H White

• Site Supporter

Daughter wants to go, might end up having my arm twisted. She whinged about having to stand today so will be seated. 

No train, just driving, although apparently parkings an arse, sure I've been there before, but I could be getting mixed up with Oxford..

4 hours ago, only1swanny said:

Daughter wants to go, might end up having my arm twisted. She whinged about having to stand today so will be seated. 

No train, just driving, although apparently parkings an arse, sure I've been there before, but I could be getting mixed up with Oxford..

Cambridge is an arse for cars generally,  I would try and use one of the park and rides off the A14, best one for the ground is the Newmarket road one as the busses should go passed or close to the ground for this or you could walk it. The other one you could use is the Milton P&R, but busses only go into central Cambridge so after the game you would be best grabbing an UBER back. Parking is free at these and you pay for the bus which is about £3pp.

Both are convenient to get back on the A14 leaving Cambridge 

9 minutes ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

Cambridge is an arse for cars generally,  I would try and use one of the park and rides off the A14, best one for the ground is the Newmarket road one as the busses should go passed or close to the ground for this or you could walk it. The other one you could use is the Milton P&R, but busses only go into central Cambridge so after the game you would be best grabbing an UBER back. Parking is free at these and you pay for the bus which is about £3pp.

Both are convenient to get back on the A14 leaving Cambridge 

Oh and the other option would be to park at Cambridge North Station.

You can walk it from here to the ground, there is a new footbridge over the river next to the railway bridge but google maps hasn't updated, this should make the walk less than a mile.

From station you can also get the busses into Central Cambridge or the train to the main station (but this is about 1 mile from the centre of the city) 

There are car parks around but most will be busy and they are expensive 

Edited by CambridgeBWFC

1 hour ago, tomski said:

Surely Cambridge can do better than just meeting in a big Wetherspoons?

You're not wrong @tomski, there are plenty of decent boozers, I'll be in the Wetherspoons for a while, but then might leave to watch some of the Arsenal/City game in a proper boozer in the city centre, before going to the ground

2 hours ago, tomski said:

Surely Cambridge can do better than just meeting in a big Wetherspoons?

Thank god someone else said it.

Football fans eh ? All these lads with a compass on their tops and they can only find their way to 'spoons. 

https://footballgroundguide.com/leagues/england/league-two/abbey-stadium-cambridge-united.html In this link near bottom some bloke has given details of a walk from station to ground with pub stops along the way. (Even throws in a chippy) 

@CambridgeBWFC what is the Devonshire Arms like ? 

Edited by Ani

2 hours ago, Ani said:

@CambridgeBWFC what is the Devonshire Arms like ? 

Yeah the devonshire arms is alright, not the nicest pub inside, but serves the local Milton Brewery Ale https://www.miltonbrewery.co.uk/ (or did pre-Pandemic)

From there you then can do the Kingston Arms (small but nice boozer), Petersfield (not been in often but OK), Cambridge Blue (great selection of ales and belgians, but can be pricey), The Alex (Decent beer and food, but a few years since i last went) http://www.thealexcambridge.com/our-beers/, You can then head to The Dobblers or Blue Moon (not been to either) then you can either veer off to a few others or walk to the ground from their and cut through the fields by coldhams brook which will bring you right near the away entrance. 

Prefer you all went to spoons though, then i know i dont have to bump into some not rights in a decent boozer! :D

@Dimron Yes you can still get over the Cam at the Green Dragon, just dont know what the parking is like round there, lot of Cambridge is resident only parking. 

Edited by CambridgeBWFC