Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cambridge (A)

burnden

1 hour ago, Biggish Dave said:

Been looking at the boozers Cambridge has mentioned, a couple look bloody good for us beery types. Looks a bit of a trek to the ground so bus back afterwards.

Only other time I’ve been to Cambridge was the FA cup 20+ years ago and drove so not had a beer here

I used to live and work down there... Newmarket Rd is a soulless concrete strip.

I intend to have the day down there and work my way towards the ground mainly following the river, I can see there are still some good boozers in the Mill Road area. The Park & Ride services are pretty good too. Going to do a recce next week when I'm going along the A14.

48 minutes ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

Which car park you looking at? Queen Anne Terrace is £14 for the day, one of the 'cheaper' car parks near the centre. Grafton centre is extortionate 

A good few but, yes, I accidentally ended up in the Grafton. It was a toss up between paying it, or leaving the Merc.

My applause to the fans attending the Cambridge & Wimbledon away games  plus all the other long distance venues .Right now being an owd Cnut I’ll take the easy away games (got the teeshirt & all that bollocks) not that there aren’t owd cnuts attending those games & that deserves medal status IMO.

We just all do the best we can until we pop off.COYWM.

9 hours ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

Which car park you looking at? Queen Anne Terrace is £14 for the day, one of the 'cheaper' car parks near the centre. Grafton centre is extortionate 

Is there much in Cambridge to keep the Mrs & Daughter busy shopping wise? . I'm doing the match and the Mrs fancies a trip spending my money.

8 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Is there much in Cambridge to keep the Mrs & Daughter busy shopping wise? . I'm doing the match and the Mrs fancies a trip spending my money.

Depends what they like, there is a decent selection of shops, from high end to TK maxx and good mix of independent and chains, but it is a really small city so doesn't have the selection of somewhere like Manchester. It is quite a nice place to wander around though with some nice old buildings and all the colleges. I imagine it will be very busy though with it being the end of August as lots of tourists and the students start to return as well.

6 minutes ago, MickyD said:

So what’s the craic with match parking? Do local schools open up their schoolyard for a fiver/tenner or is that just everywhere else?

Don't think they do it, there might be a few dotted around but with Cambridge being small and their attendance not being great there isn't much call. 

Their site recommends the Newmarket P&R, with a discounted bus ticket,  but still expensive if a family of 4. It is about a 30 minute walk from the P&R to ground and probably cheaper to get UBER than use the bus. 

Lots of the residential streets are narrow and have limits/restrictions on them, the further away from the centre you are though you may find some free parking. 

https://www.cambridge-united.co.uk/fans/away-fan-information/parking/

8 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

A good few but, yes, I accidentally ended up in the Grafton. It was a toss up between paying it, or leaving the Merc.

Ha yes I made that mistake when I first moved down and ended up paying £20 for a few hours, which is ridiculous given that it is one of the furthest car parks from the centre and the Grafton centre is a shit hole 

2 hours ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

Depends what they like, there is a decent selection of shops, from high end to TK maxx and good mix of independent and chains, but it is a really small city so doesn't have the selection of somewhere like Manchester. It is quite a nice place to wander around though with some nice old buildings and all the colleges. I imagine it will be very busy though with it being the end of August as lots of tourists and the students start to return as well.

Thanks for that , that sounds pretty much the ideal place for them , better get the wallet dusted down.

• Moderators

When i lived in Cambridge(shire) as a 20 year old in 1997/8 it was generally shit for a night out as everything shut at 11, so your best bet was to go to Newmarket for a night out 

The main night club was De Niros and the pre club bar next door was Pacinos 

Last time I did Cambridge away in 2000 FA Cup it was a local stop over in Norfolk (60 miles away) 

So I've got fuck all pub advice 

Anyway 

Here I am celebrating our fa cup winner with eidur 

802hx3W.jpg