Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Happy Wanderer - Rest in peace 😢😢

Horwich

• Members
1 hour ago, Horwich said:

Happy’s daughter has just posted this on facebook 😢

Would just like to thank everyone so much for all the donations, we are absolutely over the moon. My dad can’t read or write anymore, so we have been reading him all your messages and he’s been smiling knowing how much everyone cares about him. From the bottom of our hearts, thank you ❤️

Its just heartbreaking. 

1 hour ago, Horwich said:

Happy’s daughter has just posted this on facebook 😢

Would just like to thank everyone so much for all the donations, we are absolutely over the moon. My dad can’t read or write anymore, so we have been reading him all your messages and he’s been smiling knowing how much everyone cares about him. From the bottom of our hearts, thank you ❤️

That's absolutely gutting ☹️

Over £2k now, brilliant work though folks

• Site Supporter

I messaged her directly after this post to pass a message on.

The reply I got was beautiful.  If you send her something to pass on to Neil I honestly think it means a lot to them all.

Yes you can do! He loves hearing from people even though he struggles remembering, it always seems to brighten him up

• Site Supporter

I’m with my dad now and I’ve just read it out to him and even though he struggles understanding people when they talk to him now, he knew what i meant when I said Lokomotiv Plovdiv!

I bet he did 😂

• Members

It is great to see a good chunk raised for Mrs happys charity run innit , now that is has gone over 2k she must be chuffed.

Can i suggest (or ask if there are any plans) to do some kind of fundraising at some point that will go directly to Neil and his family to help them out financially ? It can't be easy for them with Neil not being able to work for over a year now ... I know some on here have ran sportmsmans dinners / charity events and stuff and raised good money from them .  (Hope i am not overstepping the mark here and will delete this post no probs if so ) 

2 minutes ago, burnden said:

It is great to see a good chunk raised for Mrs happys charity run innit , now that is has gone over 2k she must be chuffed.

Can i suggest (or ask if there are any plans) to do some kind of fundraising at some point that will go directly to Neil and his family to help them out financially ? It can't be easy for them with Neil not being able to work for over a year now ... I know some on here have ran sportmsmans dinners / charity events and stuff and raised good money from them .  (Hope i am not overstepping the mark here and will delete this post no probs if so ) 

Sounds good - a big Wways gay pile on charity bash, all proceeds to Happys family. Anyone on here any good at organising this type of thing i wonder?

1 minute ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Sounds good - a big Wways gay pile on charity bash, all proceeds to Happys family. Anyone on here any good at organising this type of thing i wonder?

Plenty :)

Mad that this place alone spawned 2-3 sportsmans dinners and actually chartered aircrafts. Not to mention summer piss ups and away day pile ons.

Be fitting for everyone to come together, hopefully Neil can see what the place means to a lot people and the good that its done thanks to him.

2 hours ago, gonzo said:

Plenty :)

Mad that this place alone spawned 2-3 sportsmans dinners and actually chartered aircrafts. Not to mention summer piss ups and away day pile ons.

Be fitting for everyone to come together, hopefully Neil can see what the place means to a lot people and the good that its done thanks to him.

Be good to get the club involved - after all, WW has, as you say, played a massive part in boosting interest/attendance in all sorts of circumstances, from the greatness of Euro trips down to away followings in tougher times.

Not on Facebook, so is there a mechanism to get messages to him through here? Are his WW "messages" able to be passed on?

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, SatanGreavsie said:

Be good to get the club involved - after all, WW has, as you say, played a massive part in boosting interest/attendance in all sorts of circumstances, from the greatness of Euro trips down to away followings in tougher times.

Not on Facebook, so is there a mechanism to get messages to him through here? Are his WW "messages" able to be passed on?

We can get messages to him

• Members
12 hours ago, burnden said:

Sounds like a great idea. 

• Members

When we play Wigan away in April we could do a mass walk from the unibol to the DW what is it about 8 miles? Imagine if we could each raise £100 from our own friends and family members 

Watch  the match, get back have some sort of function all proceeds go to Neils family 

Edited by Rudy

2 hours ago, Rudy said:

When we play Wigan away in April we could do a mass walk from the unibol to the DW what is it about 8 miles? Imagine if we could each raise £100 from our own friends and family members 

Watch  the match, get back have some sort of function all proceeds go to Neils family 

Up for that; great idea

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Rudy said:

In essence yes.

Only concern would be the obvious with it being against Wigan. Wouldn't want anything to detract from the effort etc.

Alternatively, a walk fron town centre to the unibol, match and maybe event there afterwards?

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

In essence yes.

Only concern would be the obvious with it being against Wigan. Wouldn't want anything to detract from the effort etc.

Alternatively, a walk fron town centre to the unibol, match and maybe event there afterwards?

That would be good. Shorter, for those a bit knackered, but long enough to get attention, keeps it "in house", can shake buckets at passers by etc (though that's tougher nowadays as people will have less physical change on them, though publicity could encourage them to dig out their old stashes - might be happy to get rid of stuff).

Maybe other club forums could help, though possibly we've spent too long slagging them off 🙂

Though the forum of the team we're playing that day could be involved, especially if they have no great beef against us. Sunderland in January?

Are the "vloggers" still going? They have reach beyond just Bolton...