Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Oxford U’s (H)

Burndens Bogs

First game in what, 18 months.

What a difference, like chalk and cheese.

Fantastic atmosphere and great performance. 

Was a really good game, 2 good teams.

Heart in mouth at the end when they missed that chance, but Lee should've put it to bed a minute earlier.

Hard not to start getting a bit carried away, but I think we will get even better.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

Was a great game, decent crowd as well. We are actually enjoyable to watch. A draw probably fair but couldn't care less and there seems to be a genuine bond between the team and the fans again.

Only complaint - that song they played before kick off about no one liking us and we don't care. Never, ever play that again. Awful.

Absolutely.

4 minutes ago, Rudy said:

@Ani and me are taking credit for MJ  we saw it first

Oxford knew how important he is, they had a man on him from the first whistle that didn’t leave his side. It meant he didn’t get the ball as much, and he had less of an impact taking the ball from the defence, but once again he was fucking brilliant off the ball and breaking things up.

A top top player - I also hope he’s rested on Tuesday.

• Members
3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Oxford knew how important he is, they had a man on him from the first whistle that didn’t leave his side. It meant he didn’t get the ball as much, and he had less of an impact taking the ball from the defence, but once again he was fucking brilliant off the ball and breaking things up.

A top top player - I also hope he’s rested on Tuesday.

He is, silent worker. We’d be fucked with him, he was going ballistic when Jones and John gave the ball away. 

I agree mate. I hope Dixon is rested as well. He was brilliant today 

That back pass, yes we got the free kick but how the keeper dove on the ball with Sarce goal side I think that there was an element of deliberate foul in it. 

Their goal, I didn’t know about a suspected handball until reading this thread but I don’t think he was off side and just timed the run immensely well.

They scored when we were on top and Doyle’s goal was brilliant and when they were on top. 

Another enjoyable match! 

• Members
27 minutes ago, RoadRunnerFan said:

Never seen the point in resting a keeper, other than to give the back up a keeper a run out. 

Do keepers get the same benefit from the rest as an outfield player?

It’s keeping Gilks match sharp

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Ani said:

I do not get this we were lucky talk. They looked good on the break but seemed be attacking as much. 

Did our keep make a save of note ? They missed a sitter at the end but so did Lee. 

I think we have shown we are good enough to compete with the better teams in the division last year. 

Both teams had chances, and towards the end I thought they were tiring and we were stronger. Then they had that chance at the death,  which was as bad a miss as Sheehan's early on.

1 hour ago, Steejay said:

Good shout.

Sometimes folk don’t remember our opportunities, just the oppositions.

Johnston had one cleared off the line. Sheehan should have scored, Doyle’s lob, Lee etc.

Last 15, I thought we looked the fittest side, again.

It could have been a draw but it wasn’t.

These sides look decent, a massive step up from last year, but we’re doing good.

I’m getting a wiggle on.

Aye.

Our defense can be solid, they shown it against Barnsley & at Lincoln. It's just the way we play, it's Bielsa like apart from us getting twatted yet. I think we might be on the wrong end of one or two against the more punishing teams but we're a threat to most because of the sheer energy & intensity we set. Sheehan and Sarce both love attacking the box so we get caught out a lot on the transition but with thier qualities we have to make it work. Gethin was our main outlet first half & with the positions he finds himself in he could get bundles of assists if he had the end product, have to admire mostly everything else about his game though. Thrilled with Doyler getting some confidence as his selfless pressing from the front totally deserves it, Dapo adding goals to his game & improving every game. Dixon was definitely assured today, calming influence dealing with a lot of pressure moments well. One thing this team has is cojones, they don't bend over even if we do get fucked by a bad decision! They leave everything on the pitch & that's all we ask for COYWM

1 hour ago, Morizio said:

That back pass, yes we got the free kick but how the keeper dove on the ball with Sarce goal side I think that there was an element of deliberate foul in it. 

I thought exactly the same, it was DOGSO. But apparently this is the law from FA website.

'The goalkeeper has the same restrictions on handling the ball as any other player outside the penalty area. If the goalkeeper handles the ball inside their penalty area when not permitted to do so, an indirect free kick is awarded but there is no disciplinary sanction.'

Which is mental as means they could literally scoop the ball off the line from a miss hit back pass and all that is awarded is a indirect free kick. Seems odd rule.

Anyway, we won regardless! COYWM

• Members

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say there will be games where MJ & Lee will play with Sheehan pushed forward to protect the back forward 

Might not be Wigan in the cup or next week but it’ll happen

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

I thought exactly the same, it was DOGSO. But apparently this is the law from FA website.

'The goalkeeper has the same restrictions on handling the ball as any other player outside the penalty area. If the goalkeeper handles the ball inside their penalty area when not permitted to do so, an indirect free kick is awarded but there is no disciplinary sanction.'

Which is mental as means they could literally scoop the ball off the line from a miss hit back pass and all that is awarded is a indirect free kick. Seems odd rule.

Anyway, we won regardless! COYWM

A back pass that is genuinely miss hit can be saved. We've all seen it done on occasions. Just don't pick it up.

Although the one today was definitely a free kick, the back pass was poor and had he just pushed it away, I reckon the ref wouldn't have given anything. 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Rudy said:

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say there will be games where MJ & Lee will play with Sheehan pushed forward to protect the back forward 

I agree. We're definitely more open now, but perhaps more creative.

Evatt isn't daft and will see areas for improvement. Maybe horses for courses on occasions.

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Not really going out on a limb is that 🙂

Superb all round team effort today.
Sarce & Doyle do a lot of no-glory dirty work that often goes un-noticed.

Dapo unplayable at times and didn't get the protection from the officials and as for MJ, brilliant.

I was worried about MJ stepping up a league, but he actually looks better in L1, he's even getting forward and not always looking to pass backwards.

Dixon, improving quickly. Not stuck on his line and a couple of good takes.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Ani said:

One of the really noticeable things this year is that when we pass it about at the back it is with purpose. Last year we had 30 passes and went nowhere. 

Bob on.

That’s why I thought that the second half against Lincoln was the best we’ve played for years.

We didn’t create loads of chances but we just dominated the ball so much. The goal was inevitable at some point.