Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

A View From The Other Side

matty2094

It was 2 generally reserve sides that will bear no resemblance to Saturday's teams so as such the result was irrelevant.  The need to have a rival says more about the person than any reality and as such couldn't care less about any other team than Wigan.

On the game...Bolton had the better possession 1st half and your #20 looked a good lad. After he faded 2nd half so did your chances up until the last 10 when either could have nicked it. Penalties are a lottery , better to win but ultimately mean nowt only an unwanted Tuesday game. 2 very even sides fought out a rather drab goalless game.

We both move on.

5 minutes ago, Rubberkex said:

It was 2 generally reserve sides that will bear no resemblance to Saturday's teams so as such the result was irrelevant.  The need to have a rival says more about the person than any reality and as such couldn't care less about any other team than Wigan.

On the game...Bolton had the better possession 1st half and your #20 looked a good lad. After he faded 2nd half so did your chances up until the last 10 when either could have nicked it. Penalties are a lottery , better to win but ultimately mean nowt only an unwanted Tuesday game. 2 very even sides fought out a rather drab goalless game.

We both move on.

A pretty fair assessment of the game. Lee & Dapo faded and we were less effective.

We didn't do enough in the 1st half to grab a lead to hold on to.
Wigan didn't do enough in the 2nd half to grab a lead to hold on to.

0-0 was fair and penalties are irrelevant.

Yeah, I couldn't be arsed giving that lot the time of day midweek. Moving on to yesterday's opponents, we have:-

PRE-MATCH

Should be interesting to see how our brand of actual football stacks up against Bolton’s brand of imagined football

I have a very bad feeling about this game to be honest & think we'll get beaten by 2 or 3 goals. Hope I'm wrong, obviously.

Highest scorers in the division currently aren't they? Just imagine how many they'd have managed if they weren't setting up to lose with Doyle up top by himself.

You could well be right and it might be one game too far for our small squad in a very busy August. Although Bolton are the top scorers they also have conceded a lot of goals.

Interestingly they are the top scorers but only play one up top. They set up the same way Burton did on Saturday in a 4-2-3-1 system so I feel we'll go with the same team/formation we did against Burton. If we get an early goal then anything can happen.

Would be an exciting formation but Bolton play with very high wingbacks - Williams would have Afolayan and John doubling up on him and both are far quicker than he is!

I just hope we don't play O'Neil and Digby as a two (which we will). They'll spend the whole game chasing Sheehan and co around whereas it would be good to get someone on the ball that can drive at their defence, as this seems to be their weakness so far.

Bolton finished below us last season. We have no need to feel inferior on Saturday

Trouble is, Bolton pre-Xmas 2020 was a very different team to the one post-Xmas & they have strengthened since.

Bolton have huge quality and depth in their squad. It's early days though so perhaps that won't kick in as a real advantage for them until after Christmas. However, there's a weird pattern to their scoring in 3 of their 4 games.

Bolton have made 12 signings pre season,with a lot of quality signed.They are far better than last season.

I had just that conversation with a Bolton supporter earlier today and he was confident they will score goals against us but also that they may concede just as many as their defence is ropey. So our strikers had best be wearing their scoring boots on Saturday. That fellow Afolayan sounds like quite a handful.

Bolton have sold over 11,000 season tickets.

They should easily sell their full allocation.

After all they are a MASSIVE Club who are playing in the wrong division. I know this because their fans talk about little else.

I don't think they have a chance to go up this year but may hover near the playoffs but their budget will be far higher than ours with their support base but I don't have a handle on the owners' financial position (I work in north Manchester so surrounded by too many Bolton fans for my liking)

If the comparison is with us, they are massive tbf.

Might be an unpopular opinion on here but definitely dislike BFS (Big Fat Sam Sponge) more as when he speaks on the TV/radio he sounds like the most big headed arrogant sponge you could wish to meet. Oh & that accent ......

It seems that Bolton are nowhere near selling out but are still bringing a big following

I think we can get something out of today. Bolton have started well but they are not as great as some of thier fans think they are. Would love to get one over on Evatt who is a bit of a big head.

DURING

U's 1-0 Total Football!

How many more fouls is it going to take from alayofan to get a card?

Brilliant 1st half...Bolton are being out thought, perfect tactics in letting them have the ball in non threatening areas...you can see the Bolton players bickering, we're under there skin and it's great to see

POST MATCH

What a win!!! To top it off, Ian Evatt got a yellow for chopsing to the ref at the end 😂

Whenever you blame the ref for a defeat, you know you deserved to lose.

We play the best football in the league by far.

Serves them right for asking for two stands and not selling enough tickets 😜

telling his goalkeeper last season against Cambridge to “man up”.

Dinosaur motivation

Talk about grinding out a win.

A display full of heart, desire and passion.

Top work United, and up yours Evatt.

Shirley some mistake? We shouldn’t even be on the same pitch as Bolton never mind beating them. They are a MASSIVE club FFS.

Shirley some mistake? We shouldn’t even be on the same pitch as Bolton never mind beating them. They are a MASSIVE club FFS.

Excellent effort from everyone today and a deserved but hard fought three points against Boltonola. So enjoyable to watch Evatt moaning from minute one to ninety the bell end. Thought the officials were the worst we have had so far. Ironside was battered and pulled by Santos all game and yet we picked up bookings for very little. 

Apparently we didn't beat Bolton today, Evatt says they beat themselves also it was the officials fault his team lost, no credit at all for us but you know you're doing something right when you hear this from managers who's teams are so superior to us that the three points are theirs before they even get off the bus.

I always wonder if managers like that (and he's no mug) realise how much shorter they're making their rope for if/when things go sour.

I love the apposing managers comments recently. Today….they sat with 11 behind the ball blah, blah, blah. Wake up fu ck nuts you were completely out thought tactically today. You got what you deserved, nothing. Your players were arguing amongst themselves. That’s the difference between us and all the high rollers….we find a way, it’s not always pretty but our graft, spirit and togetherness will always overcome the overinflated, over ambitious plonkers in this league. We can soak this negativity up all season, keep it coming chumps!

Thanks Bolton, we look forward to collect another three when we visit the Reebok or whatever your stadium is called these days. Next…..

Gave up on that Evatt interview when he said "we controlled the game".

No you didn't. We did. 

Absolutely loved today, I thought we battled outstandingly well from start to finish and despite riding our luck in parts fully deserved the win. I got a serious big time Charlie feel from Bolton today and like a couple of teams we’ve played already this season thought we were going to roll over and over hand them the 3 points. But no, we out battled them, rattled them and punished them on the break with a great goal. 

I knew Evatt was clueless when on the radio pre match he said we played the same way we did last year.

Evatt was out thought so he blames the ref and his players for being wasteful.

Another hilarious thing from Evatt was how there last 2 opponents went toe to toe with them...both games his team got something from....

As though we're going to just going to do what best suited his team...I would think after yesterday many more sides will line up like united did yesterday as clearly Bolton couldn't handle it.

Excellent interview with Evatt. So they beat themselves and we didn’t beat them at all. I am sure that the FA will look at it and dock us 3 points in due course. 😀

Fuck are they on about? D)

Fuck em anyway. Afc Fylde have got better facilities than that. For such a hugely important city their football club and ground are ridiculously shite.

Great work on this thread by the way matty 👏

If Evatt was managing the opposition I'd be saying similar to them so no complaints, he comes out with some BSA-type stuff that isn't what I've watched, but don't they all. Who cares? Parky and Southgate are likeable but it doesn't mean I want them as manager. 

But I'm looking forward to playing some proper sized clubs like Ipswich, Sunderland, Sheff Wed where us singing a few songs doesn't come across as being big time charlies.  The Wimbledons, MK Dons and Cambridges are small time.  If we bring an enthusiastic, bouyant crowd,  it somehow translates to us thinking we're better than them, never understood it.  

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

Not overly keen on Evatt are they

I found this to be the case quite often when watching ifollow away games last season on iptv (because by default they have home commentators) 

Cheltenham, now they didn't like Evatt, that last minute was ace 

Neither did Morecambe, made that win all the sweeter

Interesting comments from their lot, don’t blame them for being toxic as it’s a big result for them and Evatt probably didn’t give them the credit they deserved.

Going to be 10-15 games before we can really assess our chances in the league.

So far:

-Two games we deserved to win but threw it away with silly mistakes.

-Two hard fought wins against last seasons playoff teams

-and a poor performance against a team you’d expect to struggle this season. 

It felt that we were somewhat over-reliant on Dapo vs Cambridge but he should have scored at least one goal anyway and then seemed to disappear second half a bit.

We had very little impact off the bench and without Bakayoko and Amaechi until October I fear we will struggle to break down teams who do what Cambridge did second half. Need to be more switched on next game. Far too many sloppy passes and crosses but credit to Cambridge they scored a very nice goal and defended resolutely.

1 hour ago, Mantra said:

So far:

-Two games we deserved to win but threw it away with silly mistakes.

-Two hard fought wins against last seasons playoff teams

-and a poor performance against a team you’d expect to struggle this season. 

In fairness, we could be sitting on anything from 0 to 15 points.
We could have won all 5 or even lost all 5.

1 hour ago, Traf said:

True, they’ve all been very open games except for the second half against Cambridge.

Shouldn’t have thrown away the Wimbledon result 

• Site Supporter
22 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

If Evatt was managing the opposition I'd be saying similar to them so no complaints

Very true. As we were in the prem, under BSA, lots of these clubs are small fish in a big pond and coming up against BWFC is a big game where they’ll do what they can to get a result.

But in these times I like what Evatt is doing, he’s acknowledging and aware that we are a big club with big ambitions for where we are. And he’s instilling this within the players and throughout the club. It’s a confidence, belief and realism (not arrogance) for where we’re at and where we want to be.

Long may it continue to promotion 

Edited by desperado

2 hours ago, Traf said:

Aye that is why when people say we were 'lucky' against Oxford it was bollocks that is how the game goes sometimes. We were not unlucky on Saturday the game just did not go our way. Big couple of weeks, if we get 2 great loan signings season could be very exciting  

23 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

But I'm looking forward to playing some proper sized clubs like Ipswich, Sunderland, Sheff Wed where us singing a few songs doesn't come across as being big time charlies.  The Wimbledons, MK Dons and Cambridges are small time.  If we bring an enthusiastic, bouyant crowd,  it somehow translates to us thinking we're better than them, never understood it.  

Didn’t go so can’t comment on the game itself but these small clubs really seem to dislike us because we bring a big away following for this league. Must revisit their site when they play the above “proper sized clubs” to see if they treat them with the same disdain. Or is it just us?

And like Gonzo said - great thread Matty 

Edited by MancWanderer

• Site Supporter

Brayford sent off. The ref has unfortunately been rather one sided, as you'd expect at a big away ground.

Just try and hold out now. 

I have to add though, defending for near on 90 minutes isn't fun.

Let’s be honest. We stole a point there.
Should have lost 3 or 4 nil, so we should be delighted.
Work to be done, looked flat tonight with no pace.

Fair play to the 199 that went up.

Tonight confirmed that Blake Tracy shouldn't be near our starting XI
Only on for 5 minutes but was absolutely brain dead and so lucky to not give a penalty away

All from https://burtonbrewers.proboards.com/thread/4683/bolton-wanderers-away?page=2

Nodded off as soon as my head hit the pillow last night so not had chance to collate stuff yet. I have noticed that Sunderland have a 10 pager on their forum about last night so you can have a bonus edition of A View From The Other Side when I get in from work. 

1 hour ago, matty2094 said:

Nodded off as soon as my head hit the pillow last night so not had chance to collate stuff yet. I have noticed that Sunderland have a 10 pager on their forum about last night so you can have a bonus edition of A View From The Other Side when I get in from work. 

Just had a quick look at that, christ they are deluded some incredible comments.

Santos is garbage and we are abysmal 

56 minutes ago, BWFC_LOVE said:

“Bolton as a club still with outstanding creditors to settle up they shouldn't even be in the league”

Baffles me stuff like this from opposition fans. What on Earth are they talking about?

We obviously must bow to the overwhelming history of the mighty Burton Albion.

I guess these views woll exist at every club, hopefully in fewe & fewr numbers as time passes. Numpties.

Edited by Dr. Feelgood

• Site Supporter
28 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

We obviously must bow to the overwhelming history of the mighty Burton Albion.

I guess these views woll exist at every club, hopefully in fewe & fewr numbers as time passes. Numpties.

Nah! Let the haters hate.