Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

A View From The Other Side

matty2094

It certainly seems like their new monied owners and the huge spending spree they allowed Cook to go on has turned the heads of fans who really should know better.

A lot of cocky presumption there. The "likes of these" remarks seem to forget who "these" are.

It is good to see there are some realists & fair minded ones. 

I wonder if Cook will be given time to get his players gelling and some sort of tune from them. Big funders tend to expect quick returns.

2 hours ago, Traf said:

Morsy is a decent L1 midfielder. He's no messiah, though.

Well, according to Cook, his absence explains everything & when he's back in he will bring 10x the fight & commitment & all their woes will end.

Mmmm. Firstly, he's got two more games suspension to serve ... so, Cook seems to have accepted this shite will continue a couple of games longer.

Secondly, he's expecting a great deal from an ordinary, if decent, player.

Cook may we not be there by the time his special player is back & fit.

Edited by Dr. Feelgood

LMAO! As well as being our best game this season that’s probably the best AVFTOS collection. Great work again Matty.

The pre-match comments were particularly amusing.

No bad blood with Ipswich and I’m sure they’ll come good sooner or later with the money they’ve got but the lack of respect they gave us with some of those comments make me happy that we smashed them.

Edited by Mantra

9 minutes ago, Ani said:

Reading a lot of comments there reminds me of us last year, playing a system that is easy to play against, lots of time and space and especially room between midfield and defence 

Yep, think Evatt benefitted initially from the lack of crowds. Not easy to bring in a load of new players and hit the ground running, however Wigan and Paul Cook's ex-assistant Leam Richardson seem to have done just that.

Paul Cook has a good record as a manager as far as I know, and I'm sure he'll get it right with time, but it's never easy when the fans are turning on you.

I think a decent amount of our fans were patient with Evatt to be fair, despite complaints I didn't see too many calling for his head. Maybe I just wasn't looking at social media after losses though.

I liked this one

"He’s rights about the attack though. It was toothless, they won’t lay a glove on us. We’re going to smash them. 4-0 I think.

They lost to Cambridge Utd and drew at home to 10 man Burton in their last two games, failing to score in both. Fancy trying to talk them up as some sort of challenge."

Got a few more from 2 different ITFC Forums

PRE MATCH

I have gone for a Town win, simply because no other result ought to be possible.

PC has now got the players he wants and has had the past 10 days to work with them. Even if some of the squad are not available for this particular game, we have a big enough and good enough squad to be able to beat Bolton easily.

No more talking about players needing time to gel, that's total bollox - they are professionals and in any other profession (eg medical, construction, IT, etc) teams are put together and start to produce immediately, football is no different.

No more talking from PC about how good a manager he is and how successful he has been in the past. The time to put up or shut up is here.

I’d still think we can beat Bolton. Walton in goal will help hugely, we’re at home..,the def weakness is the nagging problem without Morsy and (you’d hope) a upgrade in Edmundson. When is he due to play does anyone know?

2-1 Bolton

4-3 win.

absolute calamity defending from both sides and we do our utmost to throw it away but somehow hold out for the win.

Bonne x2, Edwards, Burgess

I think we will improve, but Bolton could jump to third this evening and I think they will just be rubbing their hands together at the prospect of playing us. They are not going to be quaking in their boots at facing our new goalkeeper. It’s going to take a while to have any kind of psychological edge over our opponents.

Bolton had 75% possession and 25 attempts on goal (albeit without scoring) against Burton last night...doesnt look like it will be an easy game on Saturday

it's a shame to see a team name like Bolton Wanderers fall away in recent years like they have. You'd have to go back to the 1950's for any real accomplishments but they were a big name once upon a time. To the business in hand and while a relief to move on from any and all damn international breaks this is a game we essentially have to win.

ITFC 2 Bolton 0

Bolton have had trouble scoring in a few games. Of course, they'll probably score against us though. I'm going for ITFC 3 v 2 Bolton.

Who can forget the amazing play-off semi final against Bolton in 2000, what a game! Unlikely to be so many goals on Saturday though so going for a 2-0 Town win

As I’m on holiday in Yorkshire and missing this game no doubt Town will get their first win. :lol:
Town 3 Notlob 1.

Their fans seem to accept it’ll be a hard game.

https://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/viewtopi ... =4&t=27292

And look out for Eoin Doyle......., Knows how to score goals.

DURING

Tap in....goal!!!!

Get in!

We’re off! Phew. We’ve hardly touched the ball yet.

Damn it, Bolton score

1-1

Come on lads, get it together

Ffs. Our poor high press/non existent press lets them in from a direct ball. They just need to watch some Liverpool videos to see how it’s done.

don't believe what i am listening too here

Keeping up with the average of conceding at home!!

FFS. Come on.

Never saw KVY before this season.... honestly can't see what all the hype is about, he is Fecking awful!!

Couldnt make this up! 2-3...learning the hard way.

Unlucky for Bonne, just misses the goal to the right of the post. Bolton then go up the other end and score.

Come on lads

Frustrating half. Our defensive work on the right has been poor, Bolton are playing our formation and our tactics and doing it better than us. But for Burns we’d be totally out of this game. Coulson has been ok, Harper absent, evans ineffective, Aluko looks tidy, Chaplin just not involved enough. Bonne sharp as ever.

Wow, what a first half that was, a fast paced game with equal amounts of skill and crappy mistakes....

More goals in the second half are almost guaranteed....come on Ipswich!

Yeah Bolton are sh!t.. they have several good players.. BUT Critically they have found a way to easily break through our system… it’s technical, it’s clever… we had adjusted to it…. As in close the space between our midfield and our defence … but they sprung it again

SECOND HALF

Terrible defending, Bolton have bloody scored again two minutes into the second half.

Jesus our defending is bad.

4 -2 now, anyone got idea of where this will finish.

There is chronically amiss with us, not just a one off but over a whole sequence of events. Bolton almost got a fifth there, seriously, what the hell.

I am actually glad I cant watch this performance!

****in' hell, it's 5 for Bolton now.

POST MATCH

One vote for Bolton win though. That person care to share tonights lottery numbers??

What a shambles that was in the end.

It looked like being a competitive match for the first half hour but we just crumbled after Bolton's third goal and it was all downhill from there. Bonne, Burns, Coulson and Aluko played well enough and Donacien was solid when he came on but nobody else could complain if they were dropped for the next league game.

Is there a silver lining? Maybe "at least we're not Wednesday fans travelling back from the ends of the f**king world"?

Nope. No silver lining. Humped @ PR by Bolton. Jaysus H Fkn Christ. :evil: :twisted:

Relegation didn’t happen to Bolton last season. They stuck by the manager and system and went up automatically. They play the same formation and style as us by one of Cooks former players in one of cooks previously successful sides.

All these players signed for cook. Many played together in his former championship winning teams. If he was ****, and Richardson was this behind the scenes mastermind of it all they wouldn’t have come here.

I am worried about the idea Morsy will fix everything and our lack of coaches. But equally the idea that cook had to go now is a bit short sighted.

mom sticking by Xmas as the deadline to see things clicking.

that said it took that Bolton side til feb and now they are playing the system very well indeed. Cooks system.

I thought we were playing Bolton, not Man City or Chelsea. We are miles short in fitness, set up, tactics and ability in certain areas of the pitch. We are also short of heart, bottle, call it what you will.

When Bolton score five,
'Cause we're fúcking shïte,
Oh, Ipswich,
Our defence should be more tight.

Or something like that.