Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

A View From The Other Side

matty2094

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Did he look more comfortable on the right?

Yes, he did. He doesn’t offer what the wingers can in terms of beating men, putting in a cross etc, but he looked decent with more space to work with.

He was able to link play a bit better and draw defenders wide, making gaps for others to run into and finding runners in or around the edge of the box. Some good hold up play and lay offs to MJ and Jones.

The ball will always travel quicker than the man so if your team only has the ball 40% or less of the time, you're going to be fucked by 65 mins chasing. 

The game plan last season was to keep it tight got 65/70 mins and then we generally freshened up the attack and went for it. We were fitter and stronger than the other teams and it was no fluke that we won about 20 games by just 1 goal.

• Members
10 minutes ago, Traf said:

The ball will always travel quicker than the man so if your team only has the ball 40% or less of the time, you're going to be fucked by 65 mins chasing. 

The game plan last season was to keep it tight got 65/70 mins and then we generally freshened up the attack and went for it. We were fitter and stronger than the other teams and it was no fluke that we won about 20 games by just 1 goal.

Our fitness is getting better and better, look at the body language tomorrow about 60 minutes

I noticed it about 30 mins on Sunday, some players were walking back into position, we were sprinting I thought we’ve got them here. 
Fitness is the biggest asset to any successful team I don’t care who you are 

9 hours ago, Traf said:

Out of our 4 wins this season, we have had over 50% possesion only once.

3 times we have had over 70% possesion, we have 1 point from those 3 games.

It's only a succesful tactic if the other team chase rather than sit back.

11 hours ago, Traf said:

Yep.   Think the 5 sub rule last season worked massively in our advantage,  games when IE totally changed the attack. 

• Site Supporter

A well organised team can surely press at the right time and sit when necessary. Make teams play around them and work hard.

Both Rudy and Evatt have said previously that playing our way requires a lot of fitness.

Sitting deep will require a lot of mental energy and awareness of what's going on around them, one switch off and all the work is undone.

Main thing is that our method prevails more often than not.

After a stupidly busy week, I opted to leave Shrewsbury alone (partly because their forum was rather uneventful)

Wednesday on the other hand... our egos already getting a stroking.

They are bring the fans as so far the team is entertaining them, they have seen 35 goals in their 11 games, 20 of which were scored by Bolton, they have had drew 3-3 with Wimbledon, put 5 past Ipswich and scored 4 goals in midweek against the Liverpool under 21. They are newly promoted and a club moving in the right direction that currently sit in 7th spot a win against us on Saturday could see them go third.

They have only 1 more win than us but have scored double the amount of goals and there fans get entertained when attending games.

Tickets are kept simple 1 price for adults, 1 for kids and 1 for concession, not tiered, or in categories or depending what blood type you are. They value their fans and are a club going in the right direction and i suspect if Darren Moore adopts the usual bore tactics the 4-2-5-1 formation that does not work and Barry Bannan in the defensive 2 Kieren Lee and Bolton will rip us a new one and be out of sight by half time.

Proper football club Bolton with plenty of history . No problem with their supporters. It must be easy to live in that area and support either City or United. 

After a bad start last season where everyone was calling for their manager to be sacked they eventually turned it round and got promoted. They have had a mixed start in L1 but apparently now starting to play some good attractive football. They have several players who are scoring regularly and our old player Kieran Lee is now getting MOM awards for his contribution. Their confidence is high so we will have to up our game to take the points on Saturday. Like the Owls they do have a very vocal set of traveling supporters.

I will be on my seat in the South Stand hoping my drive back to Bolton is a very joyous one after we take all the points from the Trotters.

Fair play to them..Had a rough time...Nice to see them pick up.....after Saturday..obviously....Hope Lee gets a good reception...he deserves it

On 01/10/2021 at 10:07, Tonge moor green jacket said:

EveshamAddick said:

While not wishing to make excuses, I do wonder what impact the appalling weather had in that. Lots of goals going in at other games in League 1 last night.

Bolton had clearly played in the rain before. Very unfair

That made made me chuckle.

made me spit cider did that ...and its not a euphamism

• Site Supporter

Just taken a look at Latics Speyk and, whilst the first 3 or 4 pages were about their ticket sales policy and our segregation policy, the next two pages were how IE is writing their pre-match speech by saying we’re going to batter Wigan 6-0. I think he actually said, “With all the chances we create, a team will end up on the receiving end of a 5 or 6 - 0 thrashing.

Anyway, one of their posters, somewhat less confident than the others who are already counting their three points, posted the stats from their previous attempts at derby games away from home against Bolton, PNE and t’Rovers.

When it comes to local derbies with meaning in front of a big away following, no club does a better job at capitulating than we have in recent years. this is our record combined against Bolton, Blackburn and Preston away from home since 2012 when we won at both the Reebok and Ewood Park.

P13 W0 D4 L9

It's definitely an away issue as well because to add context, here is our home record in comparison!

P13 W8 D4 L1

No pressure lads, 4000 of us there. Try not to bottle it...again!

7 hours ago, MickyD said:

this is our record combined against Bolton, Blackburn and Preston away from home since 2012 when we won at both the Reebok and Ewood Park.

P13 W0 D4 L9

It's definitely an away issue as well because to add context, here is our home record in comparison!

P13 W8 D4 L1

I can't read into stats like that too much when both our squads have changed so much in the last few years.

Just read someone on twitter saying - last season we lost to Tranmere twice in the league and we went up but they didn't. It's not the same situation obviously but worth bearing in mind that if we lose it's not worth having a meltdown over.

Instead I've gone for a nosey to see what Port Vale fans thing about Politic as that shower of shite yesterday has been removed from memory.

Denis the Man!!!!

Didn't take long for Dennis to make his mark!

Politics been drinking his Ambrosia

Class he is 

We can't have many players ever with Politic's goals per minute rate! 

Really like Politic, he's a bit of a wildcard that can change a game. Would love him on a free next season but seems highly rated by Bolton.

Bolton see him as a definite first teamer in the future. Got no chance getting him permanently. But we can be grateful that he's with us for the rest of this season as he's a match winner.

Has to find a way to get Politic in the side, looks to have game changing potential.

Politics goal was absolutely superb 

I'd like see more of Politic he is immense

On 16/10/2021 at 17:03, Beech said:

Bolton see him as a definite first teamer in the future. Got no chance getting him permanently. But we can be grateful that he's with us for the rest of this season as he's a match winner.

Dont count us out of this,he isn't signing the contract their and his manager slated him publicly for it...he loves it here and the management,so we will see but he would cost a fee and we would happily pay one

Politic I thought didn’t do an awful lot after his goal which I think was a consequence of how we sat back, but again his quality is not in doubt

Politic goal was beautiful, the touch to take it past the last man was sublime, looked like he’d over ran it but great finish from a tight angle.

Politic is different gravy. Chuffed to see Mal have a good game and goal too, hopefully that pushes him on.

Politic 9 my man of the match you do not score goals like that and not be deserving of at some point a whole game it was a pleasure to see such a goal like that and was worth the admission fee alone ,magnificent .

Edited by matty2094