Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

A View From The Other Side

matty2094

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, L/H White said:

quick glance at charltonways, they'd be delighted with a point, dont travel well up north during the week by the sounds of it

E6CF32AD-C524-4F79-81D5-FD0BDF3E89C7.thumb.jpeg.8fd956276034bf9e88a544f5b7fd2c78.jpeg

Over that 3 year period 2003-2006 we really had the hoodoo over Charlton. Always fancied beating them home or away. About time that was recommenced this season now we are massive again 😊

46 minutes ago, MickyD said:

From Morecambe FC - fans’ page

My son got pointed at by a grown woman Bolton fan who gobbed off at him calling him a dirty bastard as we walked Christie way quickly got him home he is only 14

fucking diddums!

14 for me was late 70s going into the 80s , think young Christie would have experienced slightly worse walking back to old car park behind the embankment where the coaches parked.

Although our fans indignation over a naughty word being used still amuses me. 

• Site Supporter
50 minutes ago, MickyD said:

From Morecambe FC - fans’ page

My son got pointed at by a grown woman Bolton fan who gobbed off at him calling him a dirty bastard as we walked Christie way quickly got him home he is only 14

fucking diddums!

Surely something must have been said to have provoked said gobbing off? 

Did a little reading of Charlton ways... https://forum.charltonlife.com/categories/general-charlton

..Started by reading their last match thread against Wimbledon. Consensus seems to be Charlton weren't great but got the win. It was too much of an open game for many of their liking including their manager. Apparently there was dreadful defending from both teams, particularly from set pieces -Charlton scored 2 corners, but also conceded from a free kick.

On the BOLTON thread, someone has done their research and has put together a concise report of where we're at. 

On other matters, the Trotters used the January window to really strengthen with 7 signings altogether, some going in what is a notoriously difficult window. The options they have at their disposal now is far stronger in depth than they had before. Charles signed from Accrington Stanley, Bödvarsson from Millwall, Sadlier from Rotherham, Dempsey from Gillingham, Morely from Rochdale, Fossey from Fulham on loan, and Trafford from Man City on loan. It makes it difficult to know how Bolton will fare as although their form has been very strong including that amazing 6-0 victory against Sunderland, it's almost a new team mid-way through the season. But make no mistake, even as new players still get to know each other, they are unbeaten at home since the middle of October and have only lost to the top 2 at home this season. Getting 3 points back to SE7 is gong to be a challenge.

Prediction
A really tough game even after 3 wins on the spin. Confidence though will be high going into a game where the league positions are only separated by Bolton scoring 3 more goals than us this season. What's incredible is they have scored more than 2 in a game on 6 occasions, we have managed that only twice. The difference is we regularly score goals, just not many of them. The unbeaten run is set to continue on Tuesday, making it 5 as we cement our place in mid table... this is though, a fixture that I anticipate will be of two teams who make up the top 6 next season.

OTHER PRE MATCH:

A draw would be a very good result from such a grim fixture.

I think if you take the best 5 and worse 5 performances out you get exactly what we are.  A team that will beat the worst teams by a goal or two and get beat by the best ones by the odd goal.

We aren't far away from having a very good team, we aren't there yet though.  I think Bolton are a bit like us run hot then cold.  

A Desmond that does neither of us much good is my guess. 

Big game. As others have said, will be a good gauge of where we are at. IF we can win it, it gives us a free hit at Wigan at the weekend.

I predict another Tuesday night northern meltdown under the floodlights of Bolton.

Opposition teams now know exactly how to counter our predictable and rigid 5-3-2 system and despite the welcome wins, we are not playing much in the way of decent football.   

Bolton 2-1 with Fraser to get a consolation late on. 

I’m looking forward to this more than usual …
a proper test of us 
I think we’ve flattered to deceive against shit teams recently and the results have been the most important but the performances are not convincing to me and I believe we have a soft underbelly.
Win this and I’ll believe , I predict a draw or a loss funnily enough because I’m  a miserable Cnut .

Despite the results the last two home games have shown we need a captain talking to a defence that needs a talking to, ie innis and Famewo in particular. Both great players, hey they even scored, but not a tight unit as it stands and prone to leave gaps. Pearce does that job particularly well though I completely forgot about lavelle who was a captain previously. I quite fancy charlton to win this by one or two goals

We still give away too many goals. I’d be happy with a draw with this one. Bolton 2 - Charlton 0

2-1 Bolton. 

Tough night up north.

2-1 T'norverners

Bolton is one of them grounds that we have been truly awful at … so not expecting to much on Tuesday …..just not our lucky ground …. Can we switch the game to Portsmouth …

We haven't lost there since 2012, 4 games at Bolton since have ended 3 as a draw and 1 as a Charlton win....

Win this and every one of us football romantics will start talking about making the play offs 

Every time we have a sticky patch it's the formations fault.  Formations, by and large, don't win or lose you football matches.  Players and tactics do. If one system was significantly better than another, all things being equal, everyone would play the same wouldn't they? 

Bowyer - it was the diamonds fault.
Akins - 433/4231 doesn't work.
Jackson - 352 is rigid, turgid and any other negative adjective.

Shows my apathy towards this season, that I didn’t even realise Dempsey had left Gillingham and for just £180k until I read the match preview. Maybe Scully didn’t want to sell to us but I think he will be a bargain at that price.

Winnable game, but also losable too so will settle for a 1-1 draw.

Notlob are back in peak form after an inexplicable slump .. this will be a very difficult game, I'd be happy with a draw, not happy, in fact delighted to come away with a point .. here's hoping

Bolton Wanderers 1 v CAFC !

Hats off to those going to this one - great treatment of away fans travelling from the South East to have kick off at 8pm……not !!

EFL really don’t give a shit about fans do they

The result at The Valley flattered them in my opinion, due to some dreadful Charlton back end of match defending, and was during the dismal run of form under Adkins, who was sacked just under a month later

Their demolition of Sunderland I take with a pinch of salt, as Sunderland currently imploding, noting they lost to Doncaster at home at the w/e

So, I’m sticking my neck out and going for a 2-1 away win, with the usual clench your arse cheeks last 10 minutes for Addicks fans that seems to be par the course at the moment

I think it's a Bolton thing rather than an EFL thing. Every midweek home game of theirs (Pizza Trophy aside) has been an 8pm kick off this season.

Perhaps the locals eat their "tea" later!

Bolton lost two nil at home to Wycombe just over three weeks ago … reckon we will do the same, Chuks and Dobson. 

Tough game. Playing them at the wrong time. Bolton 2-0 Charlton.

Perfect time if you ask me, we’ve been slow starters lately so that extra 15 minutes before we kick should suit us 

Hard fought draw 2-2 

Bolton are in excellent form and their transfer business last month was impressive, particularly the acquisition of Dion Charles from Accie for a reported £325,000. I have a lot of time for Andy Holt but his gamble in holding out for a really big fee in the summer didn't work out as the player's contract ran down. I think that Charles and Afolayan will give us problems, although it appears that Kieran Lee, who is an important creator playing just behind them, is likely to miss out.

I also think Bolton will go with a front three of Bakayoko, Afolayan, and Charles to try and create overloads against our wingbacks on the flanks. If they don't, I could also see Dempsey coming into the side for either one of the holding midfielders or Lee (who could also move deeper). 

It's a solid Bolton side, as you said, January was a really strong window for them. Weird to think they're a prompted team. I could see us grabbing a draw, which, in isolation would be a good result. Don't know that we'll have enough to win it, but we'll see. Hoping it's at least a good League One game. And having said that, watch it be utter dross. 

Sort of game we tend to sneak when we know it will be tough, i am going to go against the grain and hope i am wrong 2-1 Bolton

I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect this week will kill off any lingering play off thoughts...

Is this the world beating Bolton who have 39 points from 29 games and are plus 4 goal difference - exactly the same as us? Surely this game is winnable.

Bolton, will be one of the many teams challenging for promotion next season. This will be the toughest league game since Wycombe.

Charlton often surprise against teams who appear to be odds on favourites to win.

Bolton`s good run of form, another tiring trip up North and our poor away record made me believe we would get nothing from this game.

However, the sun is out and I feel really positive today so I am going to change my earlier (optimistic) prediction of a 2-2 draw and go for a 0-2 away win.

I've done Bolton away 5 or 6 times but I'm not going tonight. 
A cold February evening in Bolton with nothing to play for so top respect for those who are making the trip.
Fear for the worst but hope for the best.
Going for a Desmond 2 2.

A lot of respect to anyone doing the journey up to Bolton tonight. This has got to be one of the grimmest fixtures in the league for us, a Tuesday evening KO in Feb at an in-form northern club. 

You say that but every team we lose to are on a great run of form /world beaters/ won one game against a team in the top 6  last month / are a better team than their league position etc etc 

Saves @matty2094a job of copying the pre-match posts later if we win. Finished on Page 5 of that board... But looks like that was their PRE-match thread, and they've set up a new Match Thread

Edited by Mantra

• Members
3 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

It is.

I hope we're not dragged down by it again!

Decent pitch though, and not particularly windy.

And it’s massive compared to that 5aside pitch. We’ll stretch these tonight 

The main feeling from their board is depression and wrist slashing rather than any bitterness or contempt towards us.

DURING MATCH:

The Bolton keeper don’t look very old.

Low quality start to the match, lots of aimless passing

GOAL 1-0 - I've compiled different reactions into one quote box, it isn't all the same poster.

That is embarrassing Famewo

That didn't take long

Fuck sake Charlton

What a shit goal to concede. 

How did Famewo not manage to keep that out. Looked a fairly easy recovery block. 

'ackkin hell. Typical - from a drop ball given to ourselves.

Awful goal, lucky that he didn't go down...

Fooking calamity

Losing twice to Bolton would be rather upsetting 

*** Optimism alert!! ***

We went 1-0 down on Saturday after a p155-poor bit of defending and came back to win.

Dion Charles has the look of Clive Mendonca. Bustling stocky centre forward. 

(reply to optimist alert)

That was against a team threatening relegation & not won in ages. Bolton are flying atm & scores 6 against Sunderland recently. 

I think the game is over. We can give crap goals away to teams below us and recover. But not to teams above us. Its goodnight Irene already.

(optimist's reply)

F*** me.
We've won three in a row in the league (you can only beat what's in front of you etc etc) and Bolton started the night ahead of us on goals scored only. Anyone would think they were 25 points clear at the top of the table ...

Charles is quality. 

Dion Charles looks a great striker for this level 

And he only cost them £300k.

Evatt has won the tactical battle so far

I’m pretty sure if we’d have wanted him we could have got Charles 

YELLOW CARD: is booked for a foul on Ben Purrington.

????

Hmm.. what do we reckon about that tackle?

Seen reds given for that. Booking correct in my opinion.

Red for me...

Fuck off Jones.. 

Shocking - end of - a Sunday League tackle….

Bad tackle by Gethin Jones, he was never like that on Blue Peter

Ref is very lax with all these Bolton fouls and slow with the yellows, result Dobson poleaxed in a foul that could have seen red

Shame Santos had his red card rescinded. 

Beast mode to beat Gilbey then

Why are all our players so effing frustratingly shite? Control the ball. Keep it in play. Don't overhit the pass. It's not hard and yet they make it look so difficult! FFS

Second best in every department tonight.

Why does it filter through this team so quickly?

They really timewasting at 39mins?

Embarrassing from their keeper. Time wasting in the 39th minute.

Fossy looks a tidy player. He's unlucky that the US only produces quality players at RB these days. It's weird, it used to be goalkeeper, now it's RB. He'd be like 10th choice RB I reckon. 

Oh get up you twat - Feels ridiculous that can be a booking when you compare it with the Dobson foul

FUCKING FAMEWO

Making it so easy for Bolton. They're taking the piss.

They look better than us across the park.

Fuck sake there have been horrible teams we’ve played this season but what the actual hell ? You would hope Bolton would see themselves as better than this 

Ref is almost as embarrassing as the keeper here.

So Gilbey bumping the keeper is the same as an over the top leg breaking tackle on Dobson? 

This is quite possibly the worse half of football if you can call it that I’ve ever seen 

Bolton must be kicking themselves they're only one up

What a shite 1st half. Spent most of the time in here reading how shite we are 😅 

Two poor teams fighting it out for diddly squat for the rest of the season, this'll be a fixture again next season

HALF TIME

No goal conceded before half time thankfully.

Time to regroup. Perhaps get Fraser and Aneke on early.

(the two players that linked up for their goal)

Piss poor game, where Bolton are average and we are rubbish

Two shite teams.

HT stats

Possession:
Bolton 53-47 Charlton

Shots:
Bolton 1-5 Charlton

On target:
Bolton 1-0 Charlton

Shots inside the box:
Bolton 1-2 Charlton

Charlton Owner:

Thanks Thomas.

Welcome to the club Tommy lad!

I estimate I have said that very same thing 1,225 times since 1973.

An early contender for the "Understatement of the Year" award.

Why do I buy streams? at least going to the games you have to leave your house for Charlton to piss you off. Now I don’t even leave my front room and they manage it 

SECOND HALF:

I think the 3 wins on a spin have clouded many people's judgement on this team. 
We're shit, almost across the board. Even the players who aren't shit, aren't world beaters at this level. We are a bang average league 1 side with no aspirations for promotion and no real danger of relegation either.
Turgid turgid turgid for 90% of the time. 

Charles for Bolton is a handful. Charlton appear to be trying to see if everyone in the team can be booked. Pearce now in the book after losing out in battle with Charles.

Bloody hell... He's booked one of theirs!!! 

Clearly accidental by the Bolton player. Another unnecessary booking by the ref.

Santos is a beast of a player 

Santos, who has looked bloody strong tonight, with a goal saving deflection. Unlucky not to be level even if we probably don't deserve it. 

Bolton don't look great but they are doing everything they need to

GOAL 1-1

Aneke !!!!!!
Great cross Fraser.

I said get some energy on & we could do something. 

1-1 Pleased with that.

Get in!!!! The new boys combine!  

Let's nick this

Fraser cross ...

CHUUUUUUKKKKKKKKSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

1-1

Get in!!!!

FKIN get in CHUKS 1-1

What a gorgeous cross that is Scott Fraser

And Johnnie Jackson is a tactical genius.

Didn't really deserve it but fuck it I'll take it

Now. Go for their throats. If we don’t play with this energy for the next 15mins we’ll lose. 

Chuks!!!!!!!! Get in!!!!! 

Fraser has looked a cut above since he's been on and an assist to boot

What a January transfer window, get in!!!

The last 6/7 minutes have been so much better

GOAL 2-1

Bollocks

Bollox!!

Bastards

Balls.

2-1

Needed Inniss to defend that

cheers lads

Shame... Bore draw should be the result tonight.

Neither team have done enough to win this

Those optimistic thoughts didn't last long

Silly foul, bad defending

We need a whole new defence

Dirty northern bastards.

Hahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Doesn't last long does it.

Stupid foul to give away, we do it all the fcking time. Braindead players

MacG standing stock still until they get a head on it too, a better keeper comes and claims that, it's barely 6 yards out

Book this keeper ffs 

Shot ourselves in the foot tonight again, famewo awful defending, and Clare ridiculous foul. Feels like we do these stupid things more than anyone else, we probably don’t but feels like it!!.

replying to - Book this keeper

He's a cocky little shite isn't he?

I’d say Bolton deserve it by the odd goal to be honest.  Fancied it more won second balls etc.

FULL TIME

Poo.

POST MATCH

Mainly wrist slashing and a depressing read.

Football purists will not have found much of anything at all in performances from both sides. But Bolton were marginally more organised than us and ultimately came away with all three points.

Terrifying that Sandgaard thinks this squad only needs a couple more players to be competitive. 

Very harsh don’t think we deserved to lose that .. but again lot of key moments went against us .. sending off , weak free kick it went against us tonight 

Draw would have been a fair result, but the sole object of the game is to put the ball in the back of the net - Bolton did that more times than us, so cant argue with that simple logic really.

Charles is a great player at this level, I feel sorry for Accrington who were mugged at £300K.  To think loads on here wanted us to get a big PL team in the FA Cup, our defence was ragged by Charles.  

Shit team 
Shit League 
Shit Season 

Bolton went in twice as hard, and if they didn’t get there first they left a bit in, call me old fashioned but there’s still a market for such shithousery in league one, it’s effective, we on the other hand looked like scared boys at times who just met each other.  

YOUR AVERAGE CHARLTON PERFORMANCE THIS SEASON...

m52zji04hkc1.jpg

Terrible game of football. League one is jank.

Aneke's goal was extremely well worked. Fraser has to start on the weekend.
Felt like both teams cancelled each other out for most of the game. But we were generally sloppy and a bit crap.
Change of formation worked well. Shame our poor decisions gifted then a goal.

I’m offering a different view on things instead of saying we are just shit. On back three wins albeit not vintage wins although Portsmouth away we did look good, we came here against a team who are clearly on the up. For those just saying shit tactics, just because we lost , I don’t think could have done much else considering Bolton’s line up. The first half looked awful and even more so given the fact akin made an howler and let them score , but look at what happened to Sunderland when they came here recently. Fair play to Jacko for keeping us in the game , we could have gone more attacking early and got run over . We changed shaped and made the changes at the right time got on top and scored. We made another silly error giving away a free kick when we really didn’t need to, 2-1. We should have nicked a point late on but are  we’re just shit NO, people just look at result and say Shit 

THIS. 

Bolton- yet another team trained at RADA & a ref falling for their tricks, dying swan acting & some of the worst time wasting I've seen for some time. 

A promotion seeking team would be returning down the M6 with a 1-0 win. Edging these scrappy games is how you go up

Isn't League One fun!!???

I thought Bolton were gritty and sly, and they shut us down very quickly, and closed spaces until we changed shape and equalised. They then grabbed a winner, and we came unglued again, but still nearly grabbed an equaliser at the dearh

I guess the playoffs may well be gone now. Gutted. Never felt such a disconnect from a bunch of players in my years supporting the club. Maybe a sign of the times more than anything. Bolton were not even that good. They simply knew their game plan and executed it. 

Bolton closed us down quickly throughout the game. They looked quicker, played effectively as a team, dictated the pace and continually disrupted our play.  We had no answer to that. When we have used these same tactics ourselves we have won well. Too many players had a poor game.

Edited by Mantra

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Ani said:

Pretty much like us comparing a player to SJM.

I thought they were ok last night. The equaliser was very much deserved. Unlucky to lose. 

It's a funny one, in that we'd started to drop off a bit, and they were having a small spell of pressure. However they'd created very little- it was a visible shift in our performance and their changes and you could it coming.

I felt we needed a change or two earlier, but it the end our subs helped a lot, and we just about deserved the win.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Mantra said:

Bolton went in twice as hard, and if they didn’t get there first they left a bit in, call me old fashioned but there’s still a market for such shithousery in league one, it’s effective, we on the other hand looked like scared boys at times who just met each other.  

I'm definitely ebbing reading stuff like this more than the Sunlun shite we had the other week when the more i read the more deluded their fans sounded. 

19 minutes ago, matty2094 said:

Cheers @Mantra, struggling to get chance to compile this sort of stuff for midweek games. Wednesdays are always busy in this house.

Just a heads up, I’ll more than likely struggle this Saturday too as I’m away at a wedding this weekend.  

Priorities  ffs.