Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

A View From The Other Side

matty2094

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, Ani said:

The irony is that certainly in terms of the Covid money we have if anything used the system not cheated it. 

Indeed. 

As the club explained, we were the only football club to succeed with their application. 

When sustainability etc was spoken about as being requirements for application, then FV have played a blinder- football clubs aren't necessarily the best place for such an approach.

2 hours ago, Nottm_Wanderer said:

Actually Lincoln is a beautiful city, a cathedral , historical "steep hill" , a castle , some  decent pubs and restaurants and a modern vibrant area around the uni' at Brayford Pool waterfront . 

just saying ...from my visits I think it is really nice. 

I think you are being a tad harsh 

Miles away from anywhere decent, pretty, poverty, local awfulness.

3 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Didn't always. I remember he played his first game for Villa against us from his big move. FFFFFRRRRRREEEEEAAAAAKKKKK was shouted during his warm ups.

He was utter gash. I think they beat us 2-1 with a last minute thunderbolt from Hitzlespurger (TM ProGay)

No we won 3-2 i think, Nolan free kick late on.

Was quite late in the season so dunno if that was before transfer window came in, anyway i can remember a fat angry Villa fan purposely barging into me outside after the game.

9 hours ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

I think any club, and there have been several, that use administration to pay their creditors 25p in the pound and then go on to use the saved money to spend on more expensive players than they could afford if they had paid their debts in full are going to attract unwanted accusations.

If Wigan and Bolton are promoted this season that would be   2 of the 3 promotion places gone to clubs doing just that

Christ Roger you don't half type some bollocks.  Ourselves and Wigan, (and Rotherham and Portsmouth) have all been in administration in recent years and hit with point deductions.  It's hardly comparable to say, Leicester's situation where they wrote everything off with no points deductions and then later got a new ground and a league title.

14 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Quite nice is Lincoln.

Entirely.

It's sort of remote & the area flat and it takes ages to get anywhere and the nearest 'anywheres' are Scunthorpe, Grimsby, Doncaster & maybe Nottingham. But, as a city I've seen far worse ... & I'm not even counting Middlesbrough.

Let’s not get misty-eyed about Lincoln

Nice looking town

Step a mile away from the cathedral and these are folk who go to work in the dark, spend a day in a chicken processing shed, or work on a sugar beet farm, and go home in the dark

They are stranger than folk from Norfolk

Dwight Schrute would run a fucking mile from that lot. It’s not a great place 

5 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Let’s not get misty-eyed about Lincoln

Nice looking town

Step a mile away from the cathedral and these are folk who go to work in the dark, spend a day in a chicken processing shed, or work on a sugar beet farm, and go home in the dark

They are stranger than folk from Norfolk

Dwight Schrute would run a fucking mile from that lot. It’s not a great place 

Exactly, hills have eyes tackle. Far too remote, and the surrounding towns are odd.

Like being sent to the moon. Dreadful.

• 2 weeks later...

Are we all just in agreement that this thread just doesn't exist when we lose?

PREMATCH

Gills taken on fallen giants Bolton today following a crucial win away at Lincoln last time out, a day where most results went our way and the gap to safety closed to just three points.

The Trotters carry a significant threat having won 8 of their of 13 league matches since the turn of the year and handing out a few hefty beatings, including a 6-0 shellacking of Sunderland. However, this surge still leaves them 8 points off the play-offs, so failure to win today would likely signal the end of their season, having also lost to Franchise FC last time out.

Hopefully our recent upsurge in form will see a decent turnout today from home fans, the players and management definitely deserve it. One of the Bolton forums (they're so MASSIVE that they have several) states they've sold 800, which is quality turnout for such a trek given that it's likely to piss it down during the game. A crowd well over 5,000 would be validation of the squad's recent efforts.

It's worth pointing out that Bolton's last visit here was during a period where they were playing their Under-10's every week, and they were consequently beaten 5-0 in the August sunshine of a pre-pandemic/WWIII world. Hopefully we can copy the result today, if not the scoreline, to leave them sloping back to Lancashire with no points and a remaining fixture list of dead rubbers.

Enjoy the game all, here's hoping the Harris' Miracle continues and that by 5 o'clock we're celebrating another win to drive us closer to survival.

A win today could take us level on points with a team (or two)outside the relegation zone .It's massive.Even a draw could be viewed a a small step forward. Some tough games for all of those we are battling it out with.

Am feeling optimistic though. Am I right in thinking that if we win and other results go our way we could be out of the relegation places by the end of the day?

I have a vision that we are one down at half time, but then Keith Peacock rings the changes and we see ............. Danny Westwood dribbling past 4 defenders to score ............ Gordon Pulley smashing one in from 40 yards ............. Terry Cochrane leaving 10 defenders behind and allowing a tap in by Ken Price ............. that's 3-1 ............ then we get a penalty in the last minute, with Harry Hughes starting his run up from the half way line, and the ball and goalie ending in the net.

DURING

Good grief, how on earth did he miss that one? 

(assuming that's Charles)

The way Bolton are carving us up I'll be more than happy with a point

we're certainly very much second best at the moment.

Good strike to be fair

That was a bit of a stunner. Great camera angle too. If it wasn't against us I could enjoy watching that again.

Still plenty of time, Gills.

Let's get an equaliser before half-time.

We're looking decidedly 2nd best , after that bright start.

Hang in there.
Second half we’ll come on strong.

The goal looked to me as though we never closed anyone down .Phillips was the final culprit giving the guy far too much time and space .Great strike but could have been easily blocked if Phillips was closer.Having watched it a few times I feel sure Harris will be disappointed with the defending their was more than enough back to see it safe.

Bolton look great going forward. However they do look a bit fragile at the back at times. Can't see Gills getting anything out of this, but you never know.

Yup, that bloke fossi is good enough on his own, we don’t need to give them a helping hand.

'kin twat. Phillips sent off AGAIN. F'ing liability. Almost certainly ruined any chance of a comeback.

Sending off killed the game, I was hopeful of a draw but Bolton really pushed on after that. To be fair to them though they should have been further ahead after the first half.

Not a disaster, thankfully saved by other teams around us losing too. Forget about it and move on.

As my son in law observed when we come up against a half decent side at home we can't compete.

Plenty on twitter that are basically just saying they came up against a team that were streets ahead and could have been quite a few more.

Not often that twitter is generally reasonable but they do seem fairly level headed