Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

A View From The Other Side

matty2094

We've been at it for 40 years... I sense some of these characters have previously been followers of Blackpool. Their approach to BWFC has echoes of that of our great old chums from Bloomfield Road. There are "chip on the shoulder" attitudes a la Wigan, Bury, Tranmere lobbed in there too. 

Do we want them to stay up to see them foaming at the mouth when they play us next season? 

Time was when we would have been wondering whether they would turn up to play I suppose, a club without two half pennies to scratch their arse with, but with the undoubted help of the powers that be in the EFL and FA I suppose are one of the royal clubs that cannot be seen to go out of business along with Leeds, Southampton, Leicester City, and the latest team set for reincarnation  Derby County the latest to not go the same way as the Stockport's, Tranmere, and Herefords of this world, it must be nice to be seen as a cornerstone of English Football you might be able to get away with murder.

The biggest question is can we actually get a second win on the trot, a hard ask against a team that completely out classed us earlier in the season, and a player in Sadlier who played for us about the same time Bolton couldn't raise a team to play us because of money problems and now is out of our financial structure reach, how things have changed in such a short time.

The big question is can we play as well against better opposition than Crewe offered? If we do it will be the first time for a long time, and we will have to be on it from the start. It would be nice to think that at last we are  actually starting to build a better team that at least competes.

We could hope that Bolton players have now started to think about frolicking on the beach with their families, they have had a good season but now look to have too much ground to make up on the top six to get in the playoffs, get your sun glasses and speedo's out please.

Lots to discuss about this Good Friday fixture, as ever please have your say.

Not to go the same way as the Stockports and Tranmeres of this world? What does that even mean? We went into administration, took the points hit and settled our debts (unlike Leicester & Leeds) and dropped 2 divisions on route.  Now we're fighting back.  We should be celebrated! Yarkshire twats.

18 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Not to go the same way as the Stockports and Tranmeres of this world? What does that even mean? We went into administration, took the points hit and settled our debts (unlike Leicester & Leeds) and dropped 2 divisions on route.  Now we're fighting back.  We should be celebrated! Yarkshire twats.

Doncaster Rovers who are currently technically insolvent, relying on loans from parent company Club Doncaster

OR

Doncaster Rovers who were placed into administration & transfer embargo themselves in 1997?

Yes, the very same Doncaster who suffered from their own despotic version of Anderson in the late 90’s. At least Anderson didn’t try to burn the Reebok down!! I suspect some of the older fans around during that might have had some empathy for us but clearly the younger ones either didn’t know or didn’t care. Anyway, now it’s us who don’t care, the boots on the other foot and a good stuffing awaits them for their sins.

Not a lot on Donny or StanleyWays

Pick of yesterday's

Good solid performance first half for me, shame about the goal against the run of play.
Will be amazed if its 11 against 11 at full time.

Robbed again.

Anyone tells me the refs aint against Stanley i will call a LIAR.

Referee was dire, but to be honest, he gave us loads of wrong decisions.....

Would have to see the red again, but looked wrong to me.

I can remember at least 5 decisions, which were given only by the crowd http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif

DIRE IS a not strong enough word for the REF.

Although we competed well in the first half. Our high balls into the box were too easy for Trafford to take. The quality not quite there with crosses to close to the keeper. It was good to see Charles miss his best chance on the break, he was well marshalled by Sykes and Nottingham.for most of his time on the pitch. We played well to get back into the game with Leigh's long throws into the box. But Bolton's strength in depth upfront showed us what we are missing when Bodvarsson and Bakayoko came on as subs. Both looked like they belonged in a higher league......especially Bodvarsson. Our dissallowed offside goal looked good from behind the goal, but the linesman didn't agree when he saw Pritchard tangle with Trafford as Leigh's shot hit the back of the net. 

Got to say, the other way around and I would want a red!!

our red was justified in my book. about the only thing that was.

We saw as much wrestling as football , - thanks to the ref.........What was the procession along the West side at half time about ?

HamTown wrote: 23 Apr 2022, 15:22
Flares and a mini pitch invasion for a Bolton goal at the end of the season with nothing to play for, bizarre

A whole day in the sun drinking and snorting drugs will do that.

Football games are generally cesspits these days. As Cheltenham fans we don’t really get exposed to it at all in our stands compared to other clubs but for most clubs scenes like the Bolton fans today are just standard weekly occurrences and part of the match day.

• 3 months later...

Yes I have nothing better to do with my life. Happy new season ladies and gents.

No real chronological order to this - just during or after the game.

DURING

Sounds from the audio comm as tho their keeper is a bit special?

Bolton press much harder and higher than most sides.. But definitely some hearts in mouths moments today..

He was a handful earlier in the match for sure. Santos has been their standout player this half while we’ve been on top. Their wingbacks are half decent too.

We haven’t really got going yet on 15:28 - Jul 30 by ZXBlue

Its not especially high, they are just better organised, betetr shaped and playing well.

And that was a stupid challenge having let the player get the wrong side.

All of that and higher tempo imo. They’ve got more energy, sharper and not giving us a second on the ball.

That and they're dirty Bolton.

Bolton are good side, their tactics were spot on in the first half. Both clubs will be near the top end of league this season.

Bolton are still able to cut through us way too easily. Not sure how this one will end. Won’t be surprised if there’s a red card

They look a good side, but even though we're not at our best we're still level.

Bolton are a good side, no doubt about that. But we’re letting them dictate. We are weak in the tackle, slow to move the ball and offered no threat at all. We’ve got 3 or 4 passengers.

Absolutely bolton are solid. But at home we shouldn't be the ones as you say, being dictated to.

Seeing it in realtime on iFollow it seemed to be a fair call. Went down soft but was contact so has to be a pen for me.

AFTER

Bolton still the same thuggish , shytehousery team I see !
The football team nearly won it and should have done. Apart from their diving con of a penalty and corners ( thisisn’t rugby or hockey Bolton!!) they did very little to make Walton move .
Much to be positive about today I think .

This bleating and whining is embarrassing. Spoiler alert: teams aren’t coming to Portman Road to let us play our pretty football.

Looked like a clear penalty on the tv, maybe it was the angle but appeared nailed on. Thought Bolton were hardworking and pressed well first half. Didn't think they were especially dirty, cheating or thuggish which we have seen before.

Bolton still the same thuggish , shytehousery team I see ! on 17:58 - Jul 30 by Illinoisblue

This bleating and whining is embarrassing. Spoiler alert: teams aren’t coming to Portman Road to let us play our pretty football.

I’m fully aware of that. But when blatant fouls are not being pulled by refs and time wasting is not being punished, or rolling over like they’ve been shot by a bloody rifle trying to get opponents sent off then teams will continue to do it don’t they! It’s up to the refs to control this basic CHEATING!

Penalty looked nailed on in real time but very soft on the replay. Foolish of Davis to make the challenge.

It’s not cheating it’s clever play for goodness sake. Everyone from a park footballer to athe highest level uses these tricks.

If we can become a team that scores goals we will be unstoppable!

Bit clunky against a good side who closed us down really well early on. When they tired we weren't quite well-oiled or clin

ical enough to put them to the sword. What was good was that we more than competed with them physically over the 90 minutes, and dominated physically in the second half.

Given things should improve in that respect as the new signings bed in, & what sounded like well-organised defending from Bolton, I'm not despondent

Not losing is always first game priority. I’d hoped for a win, but given the chasing Bolton gave us last season, I’ll tolerate a draw.

Amazed no championship clubs have been in for Afolayan
Looks heck of a player

(about Dapo)

Proper little c**t though. Was hoping Morsy was going to snap him.

Their number 5 was a rock

Not a disaster today by any stretch. Bolton will be the happier to have escaped with a point...

As someone mentioned. ,Bolton are almost certainly one of the best teams in this league, and the result should be judged accordingly.

There’s little doubt that Bolton won’t be up there this season, they looked a decent side to me and they will cause sides problems - home and away. That said, during that 2nd half there was only one side that was really trying to win that game today and that was us. 

1-1 fair result.. wtf?!?!?!?!?!

• Site Supporter
13 hours ago, matty2094 said:

Quote some tractor driving double-negative loving tosser:

There’s little doubt that Bolton won’t be up there this season, they looked a decent side to me and they will cause sides problems - home and away. That said, during that 2nd half there was only one side that was really trying to win that game today and that was us. 

I’m still trying to get my head around whether or not this guy thinks we’ll be “up there this season”

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

I’m still trying to get my head around whether or not this guy thinks we’ll be “up there this season”

I reckon he means we will be up there but has worded it oddly by saying 'won't' instead of 'will' in the first paragraph.

• Members
17 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

"There’s little doubt that Bolton won’t be up there this season ...".

He's, very clumsily, saying there's little chance that we won't be up there.

Very clumsily. 

This is what a diet of sugar beet and carrots can do to you.

Bit boring when their lot are level headed and rational thinking. 

BEFORE

The absolute worst badge in League 1. What does 8WEC even mean?

I think it's one of the best

Accessibility worse than Sunderland - will properly test the support’s fitness to climb

Fake Wanderers 2 True Blue Wanderers 2

Bolton will score but the light and dark blue goal machine will score more

3-1 to top of the table Wycombe

DURING

Bolton look good, but we are evenly matched.

That was far too easy

Impressed with Bolton. They could well be contenders on this early evidence.

Pretty good game this, riding our luck at times but getting good chances too.

Really well taken but a dreadful goal to concede. We are really not at the races today.

Defence looks very doddery today. That Bradley kid taking the piss out of Obita.

*corner before HT*

Erm......that was a bit generous!!!!

The Bolton keeper’s reading of the game is superb.

The Bolton keeper’s reading of the game is superb.

Their huge centre back isn't bad either.

Better team won. For all the doubts expressed about Dickinson he can’t be faulted for any of the goals and good save at the end.

Anyway, here's hoping ... that we get some decent signings like Bolton have got with Conor Bradley (I know he is a loanee)

Their truly excellent goalkeeper today showed why we need to use the loan market. I get why the Gasroom Romantics want Dickinson to provide us with a Hollywood ending but it's time to get real. I get that he wasn't at fault for any of the goals and made a nice save at the end - but that - and the time he parried the ball to the onrushing attacker - were the only times he was actually tested. I didn't think he was fouled when he let the disallowed goal in at the stroke of halftime.

Bolton are a good side but shame to see us get beaten so comprehensively.

I note Jamal Blackman kept a clean sheet today. But I suspect we're in the loan market for a keeper. Trafford was exceptional today, didn't put a foot wrong, was confident, dominant, distributed well. The Manchester City academy clearly knows what it's doing.

I can’t remember the last time I wanted a regular season game to end when losing as much as today.

Firstly, credit to Bolton. It’s easy to point to our mistakes and issues but I thought they looked decent all over the pitch with a couple of players who could really push them into the mix come the end of the season.

Bolton's no21 Conor Bradley had a field day down the right and looks a really good player.

Too easy for Bolton to spread the ball quickly and get straight at our defence. Their 16 was superb.

Overall I felt they looked quicker and more athletic than us, which has happened before against top teams in this division.

On the plus side, Bolton looked a very good team and I'd be surprised if we had as many games this season as difficult as today. And it might have been the same result as last week, but our 3-0 win was far more one-sided than our 3-0 defeat.

25 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

Wycombe will always be one of my favourite away days. The circumstances of that day and all that. “As it been done yet” 😊

I’ll be happy if they finish second after us.

It’s a weird one. Always got to respect them after that day. Most inoffensive fans in the game (as shown by their thread). Always enjoy their shithousery when they’re sticking it to the bigger clubs (except us, obviously) and Ainsworth has come across really well whenever he’s been a pundit. And yet fucking hell they’re a horrid bunch to play against!

23 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

It’s a weird one. Always got to respect them after that day. Most inoffensive fans in the game (as shown by their thread). Always enjoy their shithousery when they’re sticking it to the bigger clubs (except us, obviously) and Ainsworth has come across really well whenever he’s been a pundit. And yet fucking hell they’re a horrid bunch to play against!

It’s a bit like cricket. Happy to beat New Zealand but they ain’t the Aussies.