Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

A View From The Other Side

matty2094

• Site Supporter

All kicking off of Morecambeways (which is not a forum, it’s a Facebook group) because a Bolton fan was in court for pitch invasion and got a 12 month conditional discharge and a fine but no banning order. 
They fucking hate us. 😀

E12966EA-7367-4EDF-B2BA-00B9F251F8BE.png

1D82E38F-E5DD-4655-A633-31E467DF9F04.png

F8748BC9-6F38-450C-818A-6E51B86BD445.jpeg

B4A19703-C795-4C75-8ED4-9168E6DD5241.jpeg

3A7C354F-6896-4187-B0E6-87E811C913D2.jpeg

3876E80F-EE9A-4EFD-83FB-AAD078733A99.jpeg

BC2366AC-35B2-4E00-990C-DE4AA7AB765C.jpeg

D64552EE-75E4-4B82-A368-BEFD19E4F276.jpeg

BA626990-FF9E-4E1F-8389-9FB2254A8858.png

• Site Supporter

Jordan Russell with his “Yet I throw a flare which I didn’t bring into the stadium” post. This guy can’t actually think going on a pitch to celebrate a goal is worse than indiscriminate chucking of a flare can he?

2 hours ago, MickyD said:

As an aside, and talking about presidents (sic), I wonder if the original news article or reports from the hearing could help @Dr Faustus and others in a similar situation. A lot is made of past-precedence in law.

If you are on about precedent then that’s about a decision from a higher court in the pyramid, binding decisions. A decision in a lower court can act as a precedent but wouldn’t have as much weight attached to it as a decision in a higher court. 

Cases are heard on a case by case basis and subtle suggestions as to the interpretation of statute and case law I find interesting. 

Out of interest, are you aware of the court pyramid structure? 

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Morizio said:

If you are on about precedent then that’s about a decision from a higher court in the pyramid, binding decisions. A decision in a lower court can act as a precedent but wouldn’t have as much weight attached to it as a decision in a higher court. 

Cases are heard on a case by case basis and subtle suggestions as to the interpretation of statute and case law I find interesting. 

Out of interest, why would I not be on about precedence? I even used the word in my post. The presidents quip was a result of a post from the uneducated of Morecambe.

Regarding the court pyramid structure, yes, I’m familiar.

13 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Out of interest, why would I not be on about precedence? I even used the word in my post. The presidents quip was a result of a post from the uneducated of Morecambe.

Regarding the court pyramid structure, yes, I’m familiar.

Have you taken my post as to be having a go at you?

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Morizio said:

Certainly the last sentence came across rather condescendingly.

31 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Certainly the last sentence came across rather condescendingly.

Well I’m sorry that you’ve interpreted it that way as it wasn’t my intention. 

What fascinates me about English law is that it is like an ever growing and evolving organism. 

• Site Supporter
27 minutes ago, Morizio said:

Well I’m sorry that you’ve interpreted it that way as it wasn’t my intention. 

What fascinates me about English law is that it is like an ever growing and evolving organism. 

It is fascinating, mind-blowing and also annoying. 

No wonder a top lawyer etc are so expensive. 

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, Steejay said:

Morecambe put up for sale by owner Bond Group Investments https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62768939

Tick tock…

They need our Supporters Trust board to go running in with masks, capes and undies on the outside like they did with Bolton in their own heads.

image.jpeg.fa02322c67c1f62eaabef31e95066a50.jpeg

Edited by MickyD

Split this in to 2 posts as there's quite a bit. First up, the matchthread. 

PREMATCH

A few predictions first...

Bolton Wanderers v Charlton Athletic 1-1
Bolton Wanderers v Charlton Athletic 2-0
Bolton Wanderers v Chalrton Athletic 2-3
Bolton Wanderers v Charlton Athletic (Saturday 1500) 1-2
Bolton v Charlton   2-0
Bolton Wanderers v Charlton Athletic 3-1
Bolton Wanderers v Charlton Athletic 0-2
Bolton v Charlton 2-1
Bolton v Charlton. 0-1
Bolton Wanderers v Charlton Athletic 2-2
Bolton Wanderers v Charlton Athletic 2-1
Bolton Wanderers 2-0 Charlton Athletic
Bolton Wanderers v Charlton Athletic  3-1

Hope our Centre Backs manage to deal with Dion Charles today - He's managed to score a route one goal for both Accrington and Bolton against us, because our CBs haven't dealt with the bounce of the ball

Jayden/Captain - Don't get into a ruck and sent off while up against big Santos.

Talk about Pompey on the top of the table, and how well they are doing, but today is their first real test in Peterborough, we could cement top six place with a win today, so lets see..

They look a strong side, Bolton. Largely unchanged from last year and have a style of play. Expect they'll be very difficult today. 

Morley and Dempsey, two of their more attack minded minded midfielders on the bench. That is an interesting selection by Bolton. 

DURING

Kick off, and already all you can hear are the travelling Addicks,..family day here for Bolton..

fuck yes!!!

WOW WHAT A START - 0-1 Fraser 

Johnson with the mistake.

A phrase heard a lot in recent years

Kick off, and already all you can hear are the travelling Addicks,..family day here for Bolton..

Its a family fun day man!

Almost a carbon copy from Fraser’s perspective of his goal against Accrington, ball in from the right and side footed past a helpless keeper from inside 10 yards.

Fantastic hustling from Rak-Sakyi to steal the ball from under the CB’s nose.

Rak Sakyi is the best player of all time. 

How is it each time Stockley goes down the ref gives nothing,,making too much of it? ,don't see that

In a world of online bookies and Robot Dao’s, Franking Sense feels like a wonderfully old school sponsor. 

How comes the away supporters not in the south stand behind the goal?

1-1 

Still day dreaming about the early lead.

Been a lot of Bolton since we scored

1-1 looked like a massive handball

We’ve looked terrible since the goal. Made it so easy for them. 

Defense optional today 

Been a 6s and 7s since we scored but looked a clear foul in Clayden in build up. With the unpunished dive and holding of Stockley at throw ins the ref is already looking like “one of those”. 

Surely to god that was handball?

That was such a sweaty goal to concede. Poor Clayden getting caught out, and then the defence all over the shop. 

Lino has had a shocker there. Where’s VAR when you need it?

Totally a handbal their goal

Bolton not letting us play out from the keeper, we lump it up to JS and nothing come of it

How did he get away with that blatant hand ball 😳 

Why the feck is Lavelle leaving that. Clear your line. It's an awful and clear handball into the net too. 

Surface of the pitch is weird. The ball looks to be sliding over it at times, rather than rolling

Good to see we have phased tackling out of our game plan. 

When Santos empties his pockets when he gets home tonight he’ll find Stockley in there.

That’s a huge push on Stockley and the foul goes Bolton’s way. Should be a penalty. 

Santos is very good for this level 

I'm looking at a tiny screen, wearing my intermediary glasses, not far off needing a cateract operation, but it looked to me as though there was a handball from the Bolton forward as he put the ball in for the  equaliser. Did anyone else see that?

Any particular reason we are playing at walking pace ?

This ref does seem to be a bit of a homer. Or just shit🤷‍♂️

Shocking officiating again in this piss pot league….fucking handball on their goal clear as day…our players should have been all over the ref and Lino though

Are we playing with 6 men? Why are there massive holes of space all over the pitch?

Fully deserve to be 2-1 down here. They are carving through us.

Ahhhh 2-1 Bolton probably had the better of it 

We are being overrun in midfield and can find no outball when we do have possession.

We are shite

We just can not defend…they are literally walking through us…!!!

Actually think we’ve played alright. Bolton first goal should not have stood and otherwise they are a good side and should be expected to have long periods of dominance.

thought this would be a tough game, feel like Bolton are a sure thing for top6 based on last season and this performance 

How much better is Charles than Stockley?

A: 100x
B: 2,000x or
😄 50,000x

That 'xxx are massive' chant is so tinpot. Bolton exactly the sort of club I'd expect to sing it 

Just nowhere near Bolton. Deserve to be losing 

some many players off the pace this half. We have made Bolton look good and they are very average. 

I think Bolton look a very decent side. They're good in possession and good in the press. Santos always looks very good. 

We've definitely seen a lot of our shortcomings exposed, but expect Bolton to be in and around the playoffs. 

Bolton have enough about them to suss us out, exploit our weaknesses, and playe well enough to hurt us, as they have been doing.

Bolton have worked very hard with the press and we've just not been able to get any sort of passing game together. Let's see if there's a plan B for the second half.

Bolton first goal was put in by the player hand.. reply has shown ..

We can't cope with Bolton's shape. Garner needs to change something, whether shape or personnel, as the Bolton players have had so much space 

Bolton look different class. How can they hang on to players like Santos and Charles?

Santos got to be the best CB in this league

Santos is a very good CB. Would love a player like that.

Correct decision. Bloke wasn’t offside from the cross but was from the flick on. (Thomason)

Don’t think that was offside but hey makes up for the first goal

Christ we are getting torn a new one here, what happened to garnerball 

Aside from 20 minutes Bolton have looked like a side that are a division above us.

I think it would take a miracle for us to be top 6 this season.

As already said by others, not many will get a result at Bolton. Or at Sheff Wed for that matter.

A self-imposed time out for me I think. 

Following this club is depressing enough. Reading all these hysterical comments only makes it worse.

Comprehensively outplayed by a much superior side. 

It happens. 

And will again this season. 

POSTMATCH

I really didn’t think Bolton were that good and they bullied us. 

Take Rak-Sakyi out of that team we are bottom six .

I really didn’t think Bolton were that good and they bullied us

Really? In fairness I thought they looked pretty decent. 

So, we were outdone today by a better team. But it is why they were better that is the problem. They passed their way around our midfield. Their forwards made our defence look disorganised. And apart from Raky Saki we offered no threat upfront. 

I think we would have given a better account of ourselves with our first choice left back involved and the option of Chuks on the bench. Neither were available but I still think Bolton will be a tough place to visit for most teams in this division. 

Garner being very honest in the post match. "Shows where we are as a club". Said Bolton have far more depth in their squad.

A very disappointing afternoon, although Bolton were the better and more cohesive side and well worth the three points.

We were poor in the first half and, whilst it was disappointing to find ourselves behind at half time after taking such an early lead, we could have no real complaints. Bolton moved the ball well and were afforded far too much space for both of their goals. Stockley was isolated, forlorn and dominated throughout by Santos. Predictably, Rak-Sakyi provided our only real threat, with Kirk very quiet on the left.

Bolton pressed quite effectively, forcing us into long balls, which didn’t present any real threat. Santos started many of Bolton’s attacks, with some very good long passes - aided and abetted by the absence of any pressure on him. Bolton outplayed and overloaded us in midfield throughout the first half.

We were better in second half, with some early aggressive forays down the left from Charles Clayden. Rak-Saki was, however, our only threat up front, with three early shots early in the half and another towards the end. There was zero threat from Stockley and Kirk and we were hardly helped by a series of very poor corners from Morgan.

No amount of work on the training ground is going to bridge the gap between us and the better teams in this division, of which Bolton are certainly one.

Outplayed and outwitted by a well drilled Bolton team. We aren’t playing badly and should have scored a couple ourselves. Need maximum points from the two home games otherwise we ain’t going anywhere. 

Brownie was very good on the defenders constantly not getting tight enough, and not blocking shots, contrasting with the likes of Santos who was top of Stockley all game.

I am neither surprised nor worried that we lost to Bolton, although the performance was discouraging. 

Sadly I predicted we'd lose 3 or 4-1. We just don't have enough to beat teams like Bolton.

Collectively, we allowed Bolton far too much space and we were profligate with the ball with poor passing that included several "suicide" balls across the pitch directly to them ... Lavelle was shaky in defence and like Bambi in boots coming forward. Big Stockley spent the game in the even bigger Santos's pocket. I won't go on, it's too painful.

Least impressive of our league games so far, but we often struggle at Bolton and their rough house tactics.

I don't buy the idea that we can wait another 2 windows anyway. This summer was our 5th transfer window in L1, whereas Bolton were newly promoted last summer.

Poor from the players and management today. Within 10 mins you could see that 4-3-3 was struggling against the Bolton 3-5-2. We gave their fullbacks almost free reign to bomb on and left our own flanks completely exposed.

Bolton bullied us today and that midfield was far too light weight to wrestle any sort of grip on the game. 

Constantly gave the ball away cheaply and the Bolton press left the back four ina  complete mess when trying to play out.

Second game I've done this season but we looked much less in control than the first (Accrington) - some of that is Bolton being a step up but otherwise I thought a number of elements were below par.

All 3 goals we conceded were poor, albeit doesn't help that the linesman can't see the fella punching it in when it was blatantly obvious from the upper tier.

I think Garner should have changed it earlier today - both in personnel and the formation. Bolton were just dinking diagonals over the top and forcing 1v1's all game.

All in all we got totally outperformed by a team who I think will make the top 6 comfortably despite a slow start. 

Started the stronger, their first looked a handball. 

After that Bolton imposed themselves pressed as a unit, kept the ball better moved it quicker and exploited gaps. 

Ultimately from what Bolton fans was saying was how small and weak our players are as well as that they outnumbered us in certain areas by playing 3-4-1-2. 

Today's result was disappointing but fair. We were outplayed by a better team who have a very strong home record. I expect them to be there or thereabouts in the mix for promotion, and they played some good football. You can point at their first with reasonable suspicion for handball, but our defending was pretty weak for all the goals.

-Bolton bullied us and played some nice stuff. Charles is the exact kind of striker we needed, who would fit the BG system very well.

I'd like to publicly thank my youngest son. He loves an away day, so when I forwarded the message about Bolton's offer of cheap tickets I thought I'd be on my way. Instead, he questioned whether I knew how much petrol costs and how far Bolton is. Great questions, son! They saved my day. Well most of my day. The bit where I sat at home with my other son, pretending we live in Amsterdam so we could watch a stream of the match wasn't exactly the most fun I've ever had. 

Agree wholeheartedly on Charles. A hard-running, waspish pest of a striker who can finish too. Just think, two weeks after Bolton signed Charles, we paid the same fee for Aneke!

Been on this train from Preston 3 hours and still another half an hour to go

First off Bolton were good, they annoyingly interchange, move and are very old school Dutch in a lot of ways. Different to how I think Ben Garner wants us to play as Ian Evatt has had to scrimp and make do a lot more than us. 

First game I've seen this season where we truly deserved to lose.

Bolton have always been a bogey team for us, and once again were better than us all over the pitch today.

Couldn't understand why they were heralded as promotion contenders before the season kicked off, but they showed glimpses of it today - Sounds like their biggest issue now is doing that on a consistent basis.

Shame we didnt take our chances second half, as we did improve but Trafford did well in goal.

Watched the game with dad, a Derby and a Wednesday fan. All of us felt we were way off the pace of the game. Bolton just looked in control when in possession even though they had loose balls here and there, they won so many more 2nd balls than we did. When they had possession they were a few passes away from our box, often with a 60-70 yard switch ball to the far wing and hit the man time and time again.

Rough house tactics and bullied in midfield.

Bullied by Kieran Lee and George Thomason FFS, they're hardly Keane & Vieira.

Otherwise, generally fair well-balanced views. And this their biggest issue now is doing that on a consistent basis. is spot on

Some quite level-headed comments there. Always found Charlton supporters to be a decent bunch.

Reading opposition fans' opinions of Santos is always interesting... it's almost universally positive, which makes me think - does our fanbase take him for granted? And if so, is it perhaps because we've been spoiled with a recent-ish history of PL quality like Bergsson, N'Gotty, Cahill, Dawson et al? 

Yes, Rico is prone to a howler, but in the third tier, how many CBs can outsprint most attackers, get their head on everything, AND spray 60-yard cross-field passes for fun?