Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Gigs

L/H White

1 hour ago, Zico said:

What does it matter if download is an older audience? 

Well they just had KISS and Iron Maiden headlining so not sure their steps have been that huge

Just to edit, they have - the three outlining stages have had some amazingly interestingly and diverse music on.

IoW Festival tomorrow. Not too far to travel😎 Bastards won't even allow people to take water into the site despite forecasts of 27/28c. You are allowed an empty bottle to refill 'for free at many of our on-site water outlets'. Well festival nation, or whatever you call yourselves, after almost twenty years of attendance, next year you can fuck right off. I can hear most of it from my garden anyway. And stop scaring my horses. ....I will attempt to piss on anything that looks electrical

Also I've seen more of Serge Pizzorno than his wife has in the last ten years, given Kasabian are a 'headliner' every other year. 

Edited by Offshore
grammar

3 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

The 2nd and 3rd stage headliners included Megadeth and The Decendents hardly young up and coming acts.

Very true but some of the mid afternoon acts are certainly headliners.

It's a massive issue for download and they are very aware of it. Although it still.is the most rebooked festival, and has the most loyalist audience.

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Very true but some of the mid afternoon acts are certainly headliners.

It's a massive issue for download and they are very aware of it. Although it still.is the most rebooked festival, and has the most loyalist audience.

Aye, which is why i don't think they have a problem as such

Neither do Glastonbury 

There's festivals for every demographic 

Older people don't go to events like park life, lovebox or wireless

Neither do the Glastonbury lot 

Leeds Reading have Dave headlining 

Something for everyone

8 hours ago, Zico said:

Aye, which is why i don't think they have a problem as such

Neither do Glastonbury 

There's festivals for every demographic 

Older people don't go to events like park life, lovebox or wireless

Neither do the Glastonbury lot 

Leeds Reading have Dave headlining 

Something for everyone

True, but when you have headliners playing 7 times and they are in their late 60s, early 70s then there is a longer term problem for Download. Those headliners do make up for those ticket sales, despite the loyalty - headline release day still makes up for 70 odd percent of the tickets.

Yes there is something for everyone, Glastonbury though is in a unique position and that's why they look at the differences in their audience make up.

And for some markets and segments the music is totally secondary to the experience. When that is the case, it's not about who you put on. 

I'd also say Dave has now crossed over and I'd be interesting to see the make up.of Leeds and Reading - I doubt it's shifted that much to be honest from having the Foo Fighters headline.

Why do you think we love to harvest all that juicy data...from Peppa Pig to Prog Rock helps with all Programatic planning.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

True, but when you have headliners playing 7 times and they are in their late 60s, early 70s then there is a longer term problem for Download. Those headliners do make up for those ticket sales, despite the loyalty - headline release day still makes up for 70 odd percent of the tickets.

Yes there is something for everyone, Glastonbury though is in a unique position and that's why they look at the differences in their audience make up.

And for some markets and segments the music is totally secondary to the experience. When that is the case, it's not about who you put on. 

I'd also say Dave has now crossed over and I'd be interesting to see the make up.of Leeds and Reading - I doubt it's shifted that much to be honest from having the Foo Fighters headline.

Why do you think we love to harvest all that juicy data...from Peppa Pig to Prog Rock helps with all Programatic planning.

Download still have plenty 80s 90s and 00s bands to go at yet, though it doesn't feel like there's been too many, if any, big rock acts in the last ten years 

Having read Henry's comments it sounds more like an observation than a criticism or demand for change 

I don't think any festival needs to change what it does, Glastonbury did stormzy and I'm sure they'll do others 

But like you say, the whole experience is probably not what appeals to young urban audiences 

And that's something that's certainly not going to change, or shouldn't have to

Am of the opinion here that if folk want to go they will and no amount of marketing will really charge it

3 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Eldest on his third year of Reading.

The campsite clientele hasn’t changed much but get loads of urban ethics and wigga day trippers

2 hours ago, Zico said:

Download still have plenty 80s 90s and 00s bands to go at yet, though it doesn't feel like there's been too many, if any, big rock acts in the last ten years 

Having read Henry's comments it sounds more like an observation than a criticism or demand for change 

I don't think any festival needs to change what it does, Glastonbury did stormzy and I'm sure they'll do others 

But like you say, the whole experience is probably not what appeals to young urban audiences 

And that's something that's certainly not going to change, or shouldn't have to

Am of the opinion here that if folk want to go they will and no amount of marketing will really charge it

I have to say, seeing bad campaigns vs decent ones the difference is huge in terms of sales and money earnt.

There will be a core that go, in my go, I'm not bothered about then - thats the easy picking, low hanging fruit that cost nothing to get in. Our job is to improve that to reach a set target where you are making money.

Its also why we can charge decent money as a company, if we get it right we pay for ourselves and more for the client. If we don't, well then we lose the account and it goes to someone else. 

We've just won a folk festival down south for the media. We know a hard core folk audience will attend, its the 30-40% extra who are inclined to go but need convincing or being made aware of what the offer is, and understanding what is their motivation. Is it either the exprience, a certain band, the price points, the location - and each of these has to be served up to each audience in the right way. Thankfully this is now possible because everyone has spunked their data away for free without any thought - and we don't even have to actually target, we just get the seperate key messages and pump them out using programatic to serve the right one to the right people.

Everyone is a customer, and everyone has a motivation point in which they will part with their cash. Its our job to find that and the platforms to serve it on - that's why we get paid silly amounts for a utterly despicable job. I mean, what sort of society puts more monetary value on what I do than a teacher or a nurse. That's capitalism for you, we are worth it because we generate money for someone else.

Anyway, back to selling a CBBC pig for the afternoon....

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

My first concert, bridgewater

30th July

first day of the season

let me see what the fixture list comes up with next week to decide if I go, but if not, I may use it to appease the mrs if I'm off on an all dayer

Booked Bestival last night. Camping with the family. 

£784 for the 4 of us... 

Fat boy slim headlining with support from Mr tumble. 

I imagine it's going to be wholesome parents who used to be wreck heads having a crafternoon with the kids then scrabbling about trying to find class As at about 9pm. 

Noel Gallagher at Colwyn Bay

Lifetime ambition fulfilled seeing Feeder. Unfortunately they were ridiculously prompt so only got to hear Just the Way I’m Feeling and High while queuing to get in and then Buck Rogers and Just a Day. Vaccines better than expected considering they’ve had a busy two years (🥁) and of course nobody paid attention to Noel until he started banging out the Oasis tunes which of course were superb. Originally in the seats but had a row of council types behind us who wouldn’t shut up wittering so had a dance on the pitch instead. 

12 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Noel Gallagher at Colwyn Bay

Lifetime ambition fulfilled seeing Feeder. Unfortunately they were ridiculously prompt so only got to hear Just the Way I’m Feeling and High while queuing to get in and then Buck Rogers and Just a Day. Vaccines better than expected considering they’ve had a busy two years (🥁) and of course nobody paid attention to Noel until he started banging out the Oasis tunes which of course were superb. Originally in the seats but had a row of council types behind us who wouldn’t shut up wittering so had a dance on the pitch instead. 

Been big into Grant and the boys for years, got pretty much every album, single and promo CD they released from Polythene to Comfort in Sound. Just the albums since then