Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Random away attendance question

SatanGreavsie

Think the most Ive been on with Bolton must be Brum in cup or that day at Blackburn? Those two must be the highest in 30 odd years?

England in Munich for the 5-1 was pretty high. Not sure of the official figure there were fucking loads packed in that end.

Edit forgot Our cup match at United. 10k surely highest since Blackburn 79?

Edited by gonzo

2 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

As an aside, i wonder which of our Wembley/Millenium appearances yielded the most Wanderers fans?

I’m guessing v Liverpool Coca Cola Cup final?

2 hours ago, MalcolmW said:

Hmmm, i wonder how many from Bolton actually travelled down for that game? I always had the feeling the vast majority at that game were Lahndoners.

4 hours ago, Underpants said:

The thing with United down south is that there would be plenty of the glory hunting bastards only living a short tube ride to SP against Wimbledon. They wouldn't dream about doing it at West Ham, Chelsea, Spurs ...etc.

Our  away following against Southampton and Arsenal in the cup replays were better than impressive.

Both were great turnouts for mid-week, other end of the country jobs. I enjoyed Arsenal more than Southampton.

9 minutes ago, tkonion said:

Both were great turnouts for mid-week, other end of the country jobs. I enjoyed Arsenal more than Southampton.

Both brilliant. Ironically I was living in Soton when I went to the Arsenal game, and living in London when I did the Soton one. Being at the latter when the boozer by the away end (The Winston?) ran out of ale thanks to us, just as a coach load of Bolton turned up with a big flag flying out of the sun roof and then at the same time a large following emerged from the walk from the station. Bloody brilliant turn out for a midweek cup game - just a pity about Barry bloody Horne

7 hours ago, SatanGreavsie said:

Both brilliant. Ironically I was living in Soton when I went to the Arsenal game, and living in London when I did the Soton one. Being at the latter when the boozer by the away end (The Winston?) ran out of ale thanks to us, just as a coach load of Bolton turned up with a big flag flying out of the sun roof and then at the same time a large following emerged from the walk from the station. Bloody brilliant turn out for a midweek cup game - just a pity about Barry bloody Horne

I arranged a meeting in Basingstoke for that one. Set out early, leaving 4 tickets on my mantlepiece. Wife spots them, calls me on a very early mobile & I'm past Shrewsbury by this point.

She calls Bolton Wanderers who say if she can get them to Lymm by 10.30am some of the staff will meet her & take them. That happened & I picked them up at the Dell, presented to me by a vouple of reserve players who, to my shame, I can't recall.

The Horne goal broke my heart.

He later became my younger son's Chemistry teacher & ran the King's School, Chester football teams. I asked him about it one day & he puts it in his top 3 goals.

Just in case you're wondering, he's a seriously dull fecker.

On 19/08/2021 at 20:15, Roger_Dubuis said:

25,000 of the 37,700 at Bolton was Man Utd's biggest away following in their 2nd Division season. The biggest other ones were 20,000 at Sheff Weds and  17,000 at Blackpool and Oldham.

One Leeds like to forget is  20,000 Man Utd filling two sides of Elland Rd on the final day of 79/80.

Got to comment here , no way those figures are correct .Possibly 20k scum & us the rest .Absolute carnage by them but howd on a bit.

Roger your a cunt.

• Site Supporter
On 19/08/2021 at 20:15, Roger_Dubuis said:

25,000 of the 37,700 at Bolton was Man Utd's biggest away following in their 2nd Division season. The biggest other ones were 20,000 at Sheff Weds and  17,000 at Blackpool and Oldham.

One Leeds like to forget is  20,000 Man Utd filling two sides of Elland Rd on the final day of 79/80.

A bit like your lot like to forget you were averaging under 40,000 at home by the late 80s?

3 hours ago, Horwich said:

Wigan regularly had attendance of 25000 i the prem. There must have been 24500 away fans 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

Not quite as they only got behind the goal as is the case now. Sunderland took about 6,000 there though when away fans used to get the touch line stand (which was how the place was designed and how it was intended until Whelan had a brain fart)

On 20/08/2021 at 00:01, SatanGreavsie said:

I don't know the name but I'm pretty certain that I was in that pub to.

We (believe still stands) hold highest away attendance at Emirates at 13K.

Crowd given as 60k but 52k on as loads of Argyle in the corporate level which would have been empty else.

Took more to Highbury in what could have been our Hillsborough. 17k estimate in a pen with capacity of 12k with kids being crowdsurfed to cinder track before somebody managed to force gate to the segregation zone.

Apart from Derby getting 8k for Cup QF , Pompey winning title with at least 7k in a 12k crowd in 83 most seen at HP. Bleddy carnage after they had painted Stonehenge blue.

On 21/08/2021 at 10:09, Leyther_Matt said:

Not quite as they only got behind the goal as is the case now. Sunderland took about 6,000 there though when away fans used to get the touch line stand (which was how the place was designed and how it was intended until Whelan had a brain fart)

I am sure Stoke got the whole of the side stand for a Wigan away game once, filled it and kicked off big style.  So probably c7500

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, marple whites said:

I am sure Stoke got the whole of the side stand for a Wigan away game once, filled it and kicked off big style.  So probably c7500

And also probably why they aren’t going to make that mistake again.

Serious question: 

We get that a bloody big net and a row of stewards and/or coppers would constitute segregation on the pitch-side of the side stand but are there any permanent barriers underneath to keep fans separate?

Also, from previous attendance experience, the vomitories at Wigan aren’t big enough when all fans try to get downstairs at half time so could you all please remain in your seat at half time please?

1 hour ago, marple whites said:

If you're talking about when they invaded the pitch after the game started, just been a minute's silence for Stanley Matthews then they had the end behind the goal for that game. 

But yeah for a while the away end right at the start of the stadium opening was the side stand. 

7 hours ago, jayjayoghani said:

If you're talking about when they invaded the pitch after the game started, just been a minute's silence for Stanley Matthews then they had the end behind the goal for that game. 

But yeah for a while the away end right at the start of the stadium opening was the side stand. 

Stoke had the side stand for that one. Every away team had the side stand until the first Premier League game there. It was actually designed as such, with the car park behind intended for away fans and a much bigger concourse than the other ends. There were even steel gates and each end of the stand that stretched as far as the car park so there was no way in or out. And then Whelan decided to announce he was going to change it at all without speaking to anyone 😂

8 hours ago, MickyD said:

And also probably why they aren’t going to make that mistake again.

Serious question: 

We get that a bloody big net and a row of stewards and/or coppers would constitute segregation on the pitch-side of the side stand but are there any permanent barriers underneath to keep fans separate?

Also, from previous attendance experience, the vomitories at Wigan aren’t big enough when all fans try to get downstairs at half time so could you all please remain in your seat at half time please?

Couple of sets of doors on ground level with them being separate stands so I think it would be fairly noticeable should a load of lads be heading down to be fair.

As above with the larger East Stand concourse, North Stand was built as the family stand so was assumed nobody would be supping there and so could get away with a smaller concourse. Then away fans started to fill that stand and it turned out to be a death trap. Surprised they’re still allowed 4,700 tbh (5,500 actual seats fwiw)

1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Stoke had the side stand for that one. Every away team had the side stand until the first Premier League game there. It was actually designed as such, with the car park behind intended for away fans and a much bigger concourse than the other ends. There were even steel gates and each end of the stand that stretched as far as the car park so there was no way in or out. And then Whelan decided to announce he was going to change it at all without speaking to anyone 😂

Couple of sets of doors on ground level with them being separate stands so I think it would be fairly noticeable should a load of lads be heading down to be fair.

As above with the larger East Stand concourse, North Stand was built as the family stand so was assumed nobody would be supping there and so could get away with a smaller concourse. Then away fans started to fill that stand and it turned out to be a death trap. Surprised they’re still allowed 4,700 tbh (5,500 actual seats fwiw)

Stoke fans invaded the pitch from the North Stand, I was at the game. I must have had, in my mind anyway Stoke all in that stand, but realise now it must have been a large Stoke mob in the home end. 

1 hour ago, jayjayoghani said:

Stoke fans invaded the pitch from the North Stand, I was at the game. I must have had, in my mind anyway Stoke all in that stand, but realise now it must have been a large Stoke mob in the home end. 

You could be right tbf as I only started working there a few years later but it certainly would have been usual for them to have been allocated any in the North when that had always been the family stand. 

30 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

You could be right tbf as I only started working there a few years later but it certainly would have been usual for them to have been allocated any in the North when that had always been the family stand. 

http://cdnedge.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/658258.stm this explains it. Stoke in the home end. 

On 19/08/2021 at 23:26, Burndens Bogs said:

Hmmm, i wonder how many from Bolton actually travelled down for that game? I always had the feeling the vast majority at that game were Lahndoners.

I'd have thought very few from Bolton in the grand scheme of things. I'm sure I once read they suspect there were between 10K~12K Bolton fans travelled to that game, and over 100K Londoners. Although, I'm sure we'll never know