Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Loan Watch 2021/22

TrickyTrotter

On 04/01/2022 at 09:03, Whitesince63 said:

Would think they’d sort out a deal with Hutch before the season ends and I’d be surprised if they don’t also look to keep Edwards if he’s fit after his injuries. Shame about Denis but clearly there’s something missing between him and IE.

I think Edwards will go. In fact, I'd be astonished if we offer him a new contract.

I don't follow that logic.  Vale are a handful of places below us, why can't a sub in a top 6 league 2 team be a sub for a league one team that has forgotten how to score?  Would Thomasson get in Vale's starting team?  A year ago he was on our bench and we were 17th in league 2, now he starts in league one.  Would Doyle, John, Gordon, Dixon or Delf get games for Vale?  I think we have to realise where we are at present, there aren't a lot of EFL teams worse than us on current form and plenty league 2 players would improve us, and probably some from the national league if the Boreham Wood and Stockport teams are anything to go by. 

From watching colls no doubt that Liam Hutchinson is a good shot stopper and a very commanding keeper claiming crosses but it’s his kicking that is letting him down at moment in my opinion. Can’t see him being number 1 for the time being 

mutley 

1 minute ago, Mutley said:

From watching colls no doubt that Liam Hutchinson is a good shot stopper and a very commanding keeper claiming crosses but it’s his kicking that is letting him down at moment in my opinion. Can’t see him being number 1 for the time being 

mutley 

Said on another thread. I saw him at Chester preseason and his passing and general awareness on the edge of his box was exceptional 

Have you seen him play ?

Seen him play probably 15 times, just my personal opinion. I would like to see Gilks back in the team personally as I think he’s more than good enough for league one. His organisation of the defence is infectious and not to be overlooked 

mutley 

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Mutley said:

Seen him play probably 15 times, just my personal opinion. I would like to see Gilks back in the team personally as I think he’s more than good enough for league one. His organisation of the defence is infectious and not to be overlooked 

mutley 

Today’s announcement has ended Gilks’ playing career.

He now needs to coach these goalies how to shout loudly.

steejay

Edited by Steejay

20 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I don't follow that logic.  Vale are a handful of places below us, why can't a sub in a top 6 league 2 team be a sub for a league one team that has forgotten how to score?  Would Thomasson get in Vale's starting team?  A year ago he was on our bench and we were 17th in league 2, now he starts in league one.  Would Doyle, John, Gordon, Dixon or Delf get games for Vale?  I think we have to realise where we are at present, there aren't a lot of EFL teams worse than us on current form and plenty league 2 players would improve us, and probably some from the national league if the Boreham Wood and Stockport teams are anything to go by. 

I'm not unsympatheitc to your argument but it's not simply about the number of leagues places between the two clubs. The opposition he'd face after returning to us would be stronger.

10 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I'm not unsympatheitc to your argument but it's not simply about the number of leagues places between the two clubs. The opposition he'd face after returning to us would be stronger.

Port Vale fans off twitter say he's been great off the bench but not as good playing 90 minutes. Sounds perfect for us 

He's had a few niggles and strains too recently, holding him back 

11 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I get what you're saying, yes any players we have need to be able to perform against Wycombe, Ipswich etc.  But we have plenty in our squad that have only proved themselves in Lge 2 recently and they've been expected to step up to Lge 1, when they weren't ripping up trees last season (Gordon, Thomasson arguably, Delf).  Just opinions but for me Politic looked more than capable at Lge 1 when he was here, he was a bright spark for us.  I'll go with whatever IE decides, I just don't go with the argument with anyone not picked in Vale's first XI is automatically no good for us.  Isgrove plays in a similar position and no guarantee he'd be in a top end Lge 1 team, but almost a guaranteed pick for us when fit.

54 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I get what you're saying, yes any players we have need to be able to perform against Wycombe, Ipswich etc.  But we have plenty in our squad that have only proved themselves in Lge 2 recently and they've been expected to step up to Lge 1, when they weren't ripping up trees last season (Gordon, Thomasson arguably, Delf).  Just opinions but for me Politic looked more than capable at Lge 1 when he was here, he was a bright spark for us.  I'll go with whatever IE decides, I just don't go with the argument with anyone not picked in Vale's first XI is automatically no good for us.  Isgrove plays in a similar position and no guarantee he'd be in a top end Lge 1 team, but almost a guaranteed pick for us when fit.

Me neither.

I think Politic is capable of offering something in this league and would've been a useful option to have currently, with players recovering from COVID/supposedly lacking in match fitness.

I get the impression Evatt moved on from him the instant our contract offer was rejected, though, (and I think Politic also moved on from us) so any footballing considerations now are pretty much irrelevent.

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Me neither.

I think Politic is capable of offering something in this league and would've been a useful option to have currently, with players recovering from COVID/supposedly lacking in match fitness.

I get the impression Evatt moved on from him the instant our contract offer was rejected, though, (and I think Politic also moved on from us) so any footballing considerations now are pretty much irrelevent.

Yep.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Mutley said:

mutley 

He’s aged twelve months since last season. He really isn’t up to it.

mickyd

2 hours ago, Mutley said:

mutley 

Tbf with some of the pitches Colls have played on this season - quagmire mudbaths or 100mph artificial pitches - will have helped him learn loads about his kicking. Better quality pitches and, with all due respect, a better standard of pass back to him and I don’t think it’ll be too much of an issue. That said, I do think it’s a good year too soon for him and he’d benefit from spending the rest of the season in League Two or the Conference so it’s been a surprise to hear IE is expecting LH to be challenging Dixon.