Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Ipswich Town (A)

burnden

1 hour ago, Biggish Dave said:

The result and people you go with makes a huge difference. I still say Ipswich is a shit away day as in crap pubs, crap beer and a pain in the arse of a trip.

I always thought that but we found a few decent places most had bouncers so large groups had no chance, could’ve done with an earlier train leaving ipswich not sure if it was reduced timetable or the norm 

• Site Supporter
16 hours ago, JimmyRiddle said:

Why get so touchy and insulting, it's only an opinion, we are allowed them and it is a forum for opinions as far as I know?? Very rude person.

Watched that Burton match live and he did absolutely nothing for 70 mins till he was taken off, a proper striker working the centre halves and we would have won that match easily. 

So slag me off as much as you want but not hearing much evidence of what he does do.

Aye it is all about opinion. 

Your last bit though- no evidence? Several folk have offered just that. The data you seem to be wanting won't readily be available to fans on here, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. That seems to be the thrust of you argument.

You could explore the Internet for such evidence, I would imagine some is available, but I doubt the club will release much of what he does for obvious reasons.

Rudy is your man for such things.

• Members
3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Aye it is all about opinion. 

Your last bit though- no evidence? Several folk have offered just that. The data you seem to be wanting won't readily be available to fans on here, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. That seems to be the thrust of you argument.

You could explore the Internet for such evidence, I would imagine some is available, but I doubt the club will release much of what he does for obvious reasons.

Rudy is your man for such things.

It’s not going to get published but to my eye I reckon Doyle’s running stats are high I’d say a player like Doyle is running 8k 

I reckon his closing down stats are high, Same with his pass completion and his conversion rate. 
He drops very deep to receive the ball 

Looks to get it out wide and gets himself in the box

His agility and movement is exceptional 

His closing down always put the keepers and defenders under pressure 

And he scores goals and assists

Not sure what more he can do.

Hes absolutely pivotal to us

Edited by Rudy

4 minutes ago, Rudy said:

It’s not going to get published but to my eye I reckon Doyle’s running stats are high I’d say a player like Doyle 8 is running 8k 

I reckon his closing down stats are high, Same with his pass completion and his conversion rate. 

He's not tall or fast enough.
He doesn't do tricks and flicks
He won't score 30 this season.

I think that covers the anti-Doyle arguments.

9 minutes ago, Rudy said:

It’s not going to get published but to my eye I reckon Doyle’s running stats are high I’d say a player like Doyle 8 is running 8k 

Brilliantly explained. If Evatt would have kept him on against Burton, and had the two chances Kerchunga had, think we would have won 2-0.

• Members
13 minutes ago, Traf said:

He's not tall or fast enough.
He doesn't do tricks and flicks
He won't score 30 this season.

I think that covers the anti-Doyle arguments.

I was a little critical that he should have scored more last season but I really couldn’t have asked for more from him.

You always think your striker should have a 100% conversion but we wouldn’t have been promoted without him.

8 minutes ago, woolli said:

Brilliantly explained. If Evatt would have kept him on against Burton, and had the two chances Kerchunga had, think we would have won 2-0.

I think so, cliche alert but you can’t teach that strikers instinct. He just looked very tired against Burton but Ipswich he looked a lot sharper 

Edited by Rudy

20 minutes ago, Rudy said:

I was a little critical that he should have scored more last season but I really couldn’t have asked for more from him.

You always think your striker should have a 100% conversion but we wouldn’t have been promoted without him.

I think so, cliche alert but you can’t teach that strikers instinct. He just looked very tired against Burton but Ipswich he looked a lot sharper 

Doyle has looked much sharper and fitter all season. His work rate is phenomenal and even though he does miss a few sitters he is always a threat and he assists many of our goals - top scorers of the league 

• Members
3 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Doyle has looked much sharper and fitter all season. His work rate is phenomenal and even though he does miss a few sitters he is always a threat and he assists many of our goals - top scorers of the league 

Like @woolli said he gets himself in positions to get those chances.

Is he our highest goal scorer in a season since Super John?

3 hours ago, woolli said:

For some balance, if Doyle had stayed on at Lincoln we arguably draw 0-0.  Kachunga was as influential as anyone in the last 15 minutes or so, creating the goal for Sarce and then being a great outlet while we ran the clock down by staying on the front foot.  And we lose the first game v MK Dons without him, great assist for Baptiste when nobody would have blamed him for trying to shoot from a tight angle.

• Site Supporter

Doyle’s suffered from COVID-19 and IE stated that he was really struggling physically.

FWIW, I was a bit concerned about Doyle’s capacity to adapt to the higher level but I think that he’s been brilliant this season and Evatt’s ability to manage his game time has been just as good.

IMO, Doyle is vastly underrated and is crucial to the way we play.

@JimmyRiddle, has he been rattling your Mrs?

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, Steejay said:

Doyle’s suffered from COVID-19 and IE stated that he was really struggling physically.

FWIW, I was a bit concerned about Doyle’s capacity to adapt to the higher level but I think that he’s been brilliant this season and Evatt’s ability to manage his game time has been just as good.

IMO, Doyle is vastly underrated and is crucial to the way we play.

Oldham mate thought he was quality for them in league one. 

Looking at his stats, he's been pretty much a 1 in 2 striker in other 100 league games at this level - 48 in 107 

So not too shabby and he works his nuts off 

I'm more concerned about the lack of back up if he gets injured

44 minutes ago, Steejay said:

Haha, not that I know of!!

I know I'm going against the grain but thought I'd do it after a good game rather than a bad one when the bloods boiling.

I get he works hard and is well liked etc etc, but for me he just looks like a player from a different era given the players around him in that team now.

I don't think he creates enough for others, he can't really play with his back to goal, and by his own admission doesn't like heading!!

I just don't think he has enough 'presence' at the top of the pitch for his Tema mates to play off. The centre halves rarely seemed concerned by him, in fact have you ever seen him run at a defender one on one with any success?

So I just think a more dynamic rounded striker would benefit the team more than what Doyle does, even if they maybe don't score as many. 

Does no one else think it odd that given the plethora of shots we have had this season, and goals, Doyle has yet to register from open play? He has 1 assist!. 

But just to quote Evatt as he explains it better than me

“I think we need someone that gives us a different dimension to what Eoin gives us,” Evatt said. “And he gives us a lot, so it is a difficult position to find, especially number nines, there aren’t many around.

“Obviously, we’re looking for someone who is a bit more physical, a bit quicker and who can stretch the back line and give us a plan B if we need it.”

So obviously I am focussing on the negatives to make my point, and I know he has good virtues too, but to compare him to McGinlay or Walker is utter madness. Do any off his ex clubs rate him in the same way??

And if he was the Messiah for his performance at Ipswich, which I didn't really notice tbh, it seemed to be midfield and Dapo in the main, but will concede he gets the reflected glow from the team performance. If so, then he also needs to take responsibility for the previous two nil nils , he can't be blameless as the CF so can't have it both ways??

I think Bakayoko's injury hasn't helped as we would see a direct comparison of styles in the position when Evatt switches them. I definitely think his physicality through the middle may have made a difference at Cambridge for sure.

And finally he isn't even that clinical in what he is meant to be good at, as others have commented on, he misses a lot. His penalties are mint though!!

So if nothing else I increased the Post count on a Mon & Tues!!

C'mon down Max, time for your obligatory childish comeback 🤣

Edited by JimmyRiddle