Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Ipswich Town (A)

burnden

I think JR makes some valid points. Doyle does have limitations hence never have played above this level. 
However if you take any of our players you could pull them apart by pointing out weaknesses, Sarce is not as mobile as some, Sheehan is too lightweight, Santos gives team chances.  Dapo before this season had no end product etc etc . 
If players were knocking about who can do what Doyle does and more of course we might be interested. But for now he is more than good enough.

The comparisons to Walker and McGinlay do not stack up before the knee injury Walker was head and shoulders above the level we were playing and SJM just got better and better. 
Why someone finds it necessary to find faults in the players is quite weird though. The spirit that Sharon is spreading throughout the club is clearly all about working together, she talks about the fans representing the club maybe part of that is getting behind the players who are giving all they have not nit picking faults  

13 hours ago, JimmyRiddle said:

Haha, not that I know of!!

I know I'm going against the grain but thought I'd do it after a good game rather than a bad one when the bloods boiling.

I get he works hard and is well liked etc etc, but for me he just looks like a player from a different era given the players around him in that team now.

I don't think he creates enough for others, he can't really play with his back to goal, and by his own admission doesn't like heading!!

I just don't think he has enough 'presence' at the top of the pitch for his Tema mates to play off. The centre halves rarely seemed concerned by him, in fact have you ever seen him run at a defender one on one with any success?

So I just think a more dynamic rounded striker would benefit the team more than what Doyle does, even if they maybe don't score as many. 

Does no one else think it odd that given the plethora of shots we have had this season, and goals, Doyle has yet to register from open play? He has 1 assist!. 

But just to quote Evatt as he explains it better than me

“I think we need someone that gives us a different dimension to what Eoin gives us,” Evatt said. “And he gives us a lot, so it is a difficult position to find, especially number nines, there aren’t many around.

“Obviously, we’re looking for someone who is a bit more physical, a bit quicker and who can stretch the back line and give us a plan B if we need it.”

So obviously I am focussing on the negatives to make my point, and I know he has good virtues too, but to compare him to McGinlay or Walker is utter madness. Do any off his ex clubs rate him in the same way??

And if he was the Messiah for his performance at Ipswich, which I didn't really notice tbh, it seemed to be midfield and Dapo in the main, but will concede he gets the reflected glow from the team performance. If so, then he also needs to take responsibility for the previous two nil nils , he can't be blameless as the CF so can't have it both ways??

I think Bakayoko's injury hasn't helped as we would see a direct comparison of styles in the position when Evatt switches them. I definitely think his physicality through the middle may have made a difference at Cambridge for sure.

And finally he isn't even that clinical in what he is meant to be good at, as others have commented on, he misses a lot. His penalties are mint though!!

So if nothing else I increased the Post count on a Mon & Tues!!

C'mon down Max, time for your obligatory childish comeback 🤣

TBH I didnt read it all. Will let others respond. Eoin Doyle has been brilliant for us last season and I believe he will be this season. 

Me & my brother always disagree on Doyler. At times last season he was dropping too deep and drifting to the wing too much but that wasn't his fault... he was surrounded by shit at the start. He did what he was brought to do, score the goals to take us up. Evatt also knew he would be able to step up to L1 too, after witnessing him bag 21 in 26 in his Chesterfield team IE captained to gain a big move to Cardiff. He's getting older but he never relied on rapid pace or strength, he's just supremely intelligent with his movement & very good off the ball. Them two Ipswich lads Burgess & Edmunson? meant to be highly rated from Accy & Rangers but they got an absolute lesson off him. He's not as clinical as we expected but with the amount of work he gets through he's bound to miss a few due to tiredness. Fully expect him to get 15 or more this season & fuck me when he get's a pen you never doubt him!

Just back 😊 & still chuffed.  Seeing the 2 "Bolton loyal " flags at the pub outside the station was a good start & it just got better & better......we were that good & could have won by more.

Dapo was unplayable in the 1st half, Sheehan oozed class & Doyle gave them hell for 90 minutes......but they were all good.

Ipswich have got good players but ,as yet, not a team, this result may look even better if they do gel. We outclassed them.