Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bury

only1swanny

10 hours ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

The National League only have 23 clubs so their is a slot. Can see a backlash though if they get in there

Part of the conditions of NL membership are that you have to start in their regional division, so one below at least. Nothing to stop them promoting an extra team from North/South to create that vacancy. 

11 hours ago, Rubberkex said:

Made up with this news. Lovely memories of going to Gigg Lane with me dear owd dad in the 60s to watch Colin Bell and Alec Lindsay play for a good Bury team. Days of sitting in a wooden stand with wooded seats twisting wooden rattles with pipe smoke everywhere...beautiful times from an age before the tribal nastiness and greed of today.

Beltin news.

Can't agree more. Sat in the boy's stand watching Bell, Gregg Farrell and John Conelly with my dad who is now 85 and was heartbroken when his club was dissolved. All this prior to going to Burnden with my grandad and having my head turned to be a Wanderer. I think nights at the dog track also swung things toward all things Bolton. My dad was also Colin Bell's decorator. Did his and his sister's house and also the Bell and Waldron in the 70's. (As well as Graham Gouldman's place). 

2 hours ago, Ghana White said:

Surely if macc could only get in top north west counties division they'll have to do the same at best, feel sorry for good teams in that division having promotion push sabotaged two years in a row.

Macc went bust as a National League club rather than a Football League club though. The league placings of the re-formed versions of Darlington, Chester, Nuneaton  and Hereford were, rightly or wrongly, partly influenced by which division the original club were last in. 

• Site Supporter
On 22/10/2021 at 22:37, Johnnyrotten said:

I think the likes of Forest Green, Salford, Harrogate, Sutton, Crawley, Stevenage would love to have as many fans as Bury.  As a football fan I'd rather have traditional, proper football clubs with a half decent number of fans in the EFL than the new breed of no marks/no fans with their 5k capacity lego grounds.

All clubs started out at some point. Even the biggest. No club should have the automatic right to jump in high up just because of the history of a previous incarnation. 

We had Wimbledon in the top flight winning an fa cup all on merit. Would be a great shame to remove that romance for a so called proper club that has been badly managed.