Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Safe standing

Rudy

The point about standing is not being put in a sheep pen.

If you are on an open terrace and you have a dick head nearby you can simply move away. The problem with sitting you can be stuck with some self-opinionated brain dead booing twat behind you and you can't get way. I had this at Burnden and it didn't end well, I found the Des McBain warning letter a few weeks ago in some old papers.

Standing means shuffling around, in the old days you used to stand in the same place and knew the people around you by sight and not by name.

Is there a reason why we can't just have a safe standing area and leave the seats as they are?

The disasters were associated with capacity rather than standing. If everyone still gets assigned a "seat" but stands rather than sits (as happens at every away game without issue), then what's the problem? 

Make a standing area (such as Block I) then people know where it is allowed and this also prevents any investment required from the owners. That corner has stood for the last 20 years anyway, it actually wouldn't change much. The danger comes with overcrowding, not standing. 

Why complicate things?

46 minutes ago, HowfenWHITES said:

Is there a reason why we can't just have a safe standing area and leave the seats as they are?

The disasters were associated with capacity rather than standing. If everyone still gets assigned a "seat" but stands rather than sits (as happens at every away game without issue), then what's the problem? 

Make a standing area (such as Block I) then people know where it is allowed and this also prevents any investment required from the owners. That corner has stood for the last 20 years anyway, it actually wouldn't change much. The danger comes with overcrowding, not standing. 

Why complicate things?

Because, as seen at away games like Wigan recently, there are often more people than seats in some areas of the stand.

• Site Supporter

I guess a designated standing area with seats would at least put paid to the moaning fuckers who tell those standing up to sit down. It’ll also prevent those standing up having to tell those wanting to sit to fuck off!

Is there any reason why folk can’t just have a seat / stand and get on with it. Our fan base is ever increasingly growing in its bellendish with regards to seating. Like standing at the front of Wimbledon and acting the cunt when the old fella steward asked you to clear the hatching area. 

seating is shit on the whole. Standing in the new style seats is a massive improvement. If folk want to stand they go there. The seated people go in the seating areas. 

Bring them in

49 minutes ago, Traf said:

Because, as seen at away games like Wigan recently, there are often more people than seats in some areas of the stand.

OK maybe the away game example is a bad one, (I was at the Wigan game when they did "unresereved" seating - shit show) but home games at the UniBol are a much more diluted experience.

A standing area benefits standers and sitters as long as ticket details are adhered to. Which I feel at home games they will be. 

• 2 years later...
  • Site Supporter

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/24194810.bolton-wanderers-examine-safe-standing-toughsheet/

WANDERERS are offering supporters the chance to decide whether safe standing is introduced to the Toughsheet Stadium from next season, The Bolton News can exclusively reveal.

The club is discussing whether to portion off a section of one of the lower tiers to accommodate standing fans for the first time since the ground opened as an all-seater venue in 1997.

An online questionnaire will be sent out to club members in the coming weeks to poll opinion, along with ongoing conversations with the Bolton Wanderers Supporters’ Trust, but with previous straw polls indicating the fanbase would be fully behind the changes, it seems likely that Wanderers will implement safe standing in some fashion from the 2024/25 campaign onwards.

14 minutes ago, Cheese said:

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/24194810.bolton-wanderers-examine-safe-standing-toughsheet/

WANDERERS are offering supporters the chance to decide whether safe standing is introduced to the Toughsheet Stadium from next season, The Bolton News can exclusively reveal.

The club is discussing whether to portion off a section of one of the lower tiers to accommodate standing fans for the first time since the ground opened as an all-seater venue in 1997.

An online questionnaire will be sent out to club members in the coming weeks to poll opinion, along with ongoing conversations with the Bolton Wanderers Supporters’ Trust, but with previous straw polls indicating the fanbase would be fully behind the changes, it seems likely that Wanderers will implement safe standing in some fashion from the 2024/25 campaign onwards.

Interesting. Was only saying how good it was at Derby. Seems like a lot brainer to me.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, L/H White said:

that's where I sit, i'll be firmly against this, or they'll have to move me or refund my ticket 

Wanderers are keen to stress that fan feedback will lead any changes they make – and that anyone affected in the area they potentially deem best-suited to safe standing who has already purchased a season ticket will be offered every assistance possible in either switching to a standing ticket, or to another area of the ground.

• Site Supporter

Great idea.

Should make it East crazy corner, where it already happens and open up a new south corner where it doesn’t disrupt any other ST and creates another opportunity to watch us.

11 minutes ago, desperado said:

Great idea.

Should make it East crazy corner, where it already happens and open up a new south corner where it doesn’t disrupt any other ST and creates another opportunity to watch us.

Good idea

The weird part of is to only start announcing this when we’ve already shifted loads of season tickets next year. In that sense, the logical answer would be to stick it in crazy corner where arguably nobody would be negatively affected by it.

Think safe standing in England would be 1:1 - May create a better atmosphere at times, and offer some a chance to feel all "old skool", but it wond add anything ££ for many clubs, so dont think they will bother.

I'm not an expert on it but think it'd be a bit tricky to introduce the way out ground is set up. It'd probably best suit North Lower but not sure many people would want to move to there for it. Putting it in last block or two of East Lower would be awkward in terms of impact on those in the next block who don't want to stand. Creating a South Lower block to do it in would cause GMP some furrowed brows I imagine. 

No issue with it myself but practicalities will be a challenge I reckon