Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rotherham (H)

L/H White

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Can understand not giving them more tickets if we’re using the south stand ourselves and in that case they would be in upper tier anyway? 

I'll be amazed if they ever had a mix of home and away in the south lower again

• Site Supporter
29 minutes ago, TrickyTrotter said:

Lincoln mate just texted me.  Rotherham a big physical side who closed them down and should have won by 3 or 4 tonight.

Should be an interesting game Saturday.

Just seen 26 shots from Rotherham! And Lincoln have been one of the better sides I’ve seen so far this season. As you say makes it interesting Saturday. 

9 hours ago, TrickyTrotter said:

Lincoln mate just texted me.  Rotherham a big physical side who closed them down and should have won by 3 or 4 tonight.

Just the type of style we’ve struggled playing against in the past.

If teams close our back 4 down & stop us from buiding from the back at our own pace, we seem to struggle and have no plan b.

I don’t think it will be 0-0.

• Site Supporter
13 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Worraloadabollox.

I have a season ticket in the ESL with my daughter and we don't fall into any of your brackets for typical ESL punters, neither do thousands of others who i see who frequent the ESL, just normal folk most of 'em.

There might be a couple of hundred or so noisy kids in the corner but that's about it,like them or loathe them they help create a bit of "Banter" with opposition fans.

We prefer the ESL because it's closer to where we park, the atmosphere is better than the West or North Stand, plus we're not quite ready for a library atmosphere, sucking on Werthers originals with blankets  over our knees.

:D

I didn't say ESL was exclusively for...

I get there are others who aren't Johnny Concrete but I maintain my view,  they are there and they are plentiful. 

1 hour ago, Morizio said:

A big physical side coming to boss and bully us on our own turf. Reminds me of the 90’s.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/16171920.amp/

... great game. Great scrap. I'd forgotten it wS in the first 2 minutes. My abiding image was Jerry Taggart lifting a Wolves full-back, Jamie Smith iirc, into the air by a throat grip and shaking him about like a rag doll.

But the reporter exaggerates. He says "A 22-man brawl - no exaggeration ...", but it was only 21. Bryan Small sat it out, down in his right back position. Every other player, including our keeper ran into the melee & joined it. 

Just clocked the gate at Blackburn last night .... 9,140. Very poor ! PNE aren't doing much better this year either! 

Blackpool's gate last night was just over 11,000 as have been all their home games this season. That's actually not bad for them! 

It does go to show how good our gates are at the moment with hopefully a bumper attendance for our game on Saturday. There's clearly a lot more energy about the football in Bolton than in neighbouring areas

(Given this is a post about attendances, Wigan don't really come in to the conversation)

4 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

... great game. Great scrap. I'd forgotten it wS in the first 2 minutes. My abiding image was Jerry Taggart lifting a Wolves full-back, Jamie Smith iirc, into the air by a throat grip and shaking him about like a rag doll.

But the reporter exaggerates. He says "A 22-man brawl - no exaggeration ...", but it was only 21. Bryan Small sat it out, down in his right back position. Every other player, including our keeper ran into the melee & joined it. 

McGinley stayed on the floor throughout.

A Bolton fanzine had a pic of Taggart's fist landing on Keith Curle's chin. I have never been able to find it on the internet.

Edited by Mannyroader

4 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

I think Small ended up doing kick up’s on Manny Road touch line.

My one and only game at Burnden as a 10 year old after years of mithering to be taken to a game. I was never not going to get the bug after that one!

1 hour ago, Mannyroader said:

McGinley stayed on the floor throughout.

A Bolton fanzine had a pic of Taggart's fist landing on Keith Curle's chin. I have never been able to find it on the internet.

Having been hit ... clearly trying for a sending off.

This sets out the tale pretty well.

Like you I've searched for the 'rag doll' moment on photo but never found it.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/look-back-bolton-v-wolves-2521912

6 hours ago, MickyD said:

I didn't say ESL was exclusively for...

I get there are others who aren't Johnny Concrete but I maintain my view,  they are there and they are plentiful. 

A bit like saying the West Stand isn’t excusively for crusty old codgers who dribble and stink of piss, but they are there and they are plentiful.

1 minute ago, burnden said:

16000 home +12000 away tickets sold as of 2pm today ..... Shazza asking the town to back the club with a massive turnout for the family day 

I think you need to knock a 0 off that away following otherwise we're going to be over-run by them sheepshagging Yorkies on Saturday afternoon.

On 14/09/2021 at 20:49, radcliffe white said:

Can understand not giving them more tickets if we’re using the south stand ourselves and in that case they would be in upper tier anyway? 

It’s more that given them more than the 1,800 would mean opening the upper tier with costs for C1,500 when they might only sell 100 tickets up there so we make a loss on it. Recall a similar situation against Huddersfield at Easter a few years ago, and Blackburn as well to come to think of it.