Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rotherham (H)

L/H White

Don't wanna disappoint the Doyle lovers!.

He has still not scored from open play in the league, 3 out of the last 4 league games the team have not scored, as a CF he is gash regardless of how much 'running' he does.

He could have had us back in it on 25 mins with a simple chance, then had absolutely no anticipation for Sarc's cross, on his heels, should have been an easy tap in. Watch the highlights!

I know there were a few other poor performance but we are going nowhere fast with him up front, and Kanchunga not looking too great either!

Edited by JimmyRiddle

Second half just wasn't good enough. Too easy for them too sit deep and defend. 

Our attacking options off the bench just aren't good enough at the moment. We need Ameachi and Baka back soon. 

We have to accept teams are going to sit in and frustrate us especially if they get 1 up. 

We need to move the ball quicker when teams sit in deep or we need to be more direct. 

Bit of a reality check there after a 2-5 away win. Very, very early days still but my thought after the first eight games is that we're an improving side and club but there are better sides in this league who are more experienced at the level. 

No side escapes a season without injuries but it would be interesting to see how we'd have done today and against Burton with Amechi and Baka available. Different options. 

We're not an out and out poor side defensively but there's certainly room for improvement in that department and the goals against column tells that story alone.

Doesn't help when we concede first mostly every single game! That's the reason why we have such high possession because the other teams just allow us the ball & they can just sit in to see the game out with a whole half of killing time. We did have our chances I can't believe Doyler missed that chance. Johnston had one ruled out, Gethin pee rolled a guilt edged chance. We didn't punish them and we allowed a player who'd previously scored 6 in over a 100 games bag a brace past us. Evatts still a young manager and he's still learning. We might be like how Plymouth was last season in this league... Good football but really naive & shed a shitload. Wouldn't surprise me if we beat Sunderland well when theres no pressure on us next weekend. Really need Baka and Amaechi back just for the pace and physicality off the bench which has absolutely nobody on it too chance the way a match is going. 

Good indication of where we are at the moment. We did ok - but Rotherham just looked more savvy. 

Shame that goal didn't stand as 2-1 would have made it interesting. 

They will be there or there about come the end of the season. 

We make more noise when there's just the usual suspects there!

• Site Supporter

Rotherham should have had a pen second half but agree with most of what’s being said in that they just had a bit more about them in terms of solidity and experience in this league.

Their number 8 is a good un 

We still have enough to challenge at the right end of the table but Evatt needs a back up plan rather than watching us knock it across the back 4 hoping gaps will appear. I don’t mind a thunk over the top now and again as it makes the opposition uneasy.

Gut feeling is we’ll get a result next week.

Edited by Spider

• Site Supporter

Reality check today.

They are an established top tier league 1/championship team.

We are a young, newly promoted League one team, with an expectation of settling in this league, with raised lofty ambitions of getting into the play-offs. It may or may not happen.

We will come back and learn from from this. 

The dream is still on. 

Been to game so not read the thread yet.

Things that were obvious to me:

If halfalion is neutered we are as well.

There are no options on the bench that can change the attacking threat.

Why are we not throwing santos up front for the last 15mins? We pass it around as if its a training exercise when we are losing instead of launching it to a big man up front like santos.

Rotherham were good today and controlled the game well and saw it out after they scored 2.

36 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

He has still not scored from open play in the league, 3 out of the last 4 league games the team have not scored, as a CF he is gash regardless of how much 'running' he does.

He could have had us back in it on 25 mins with a simple chance, then had absolutely no anticipation for Sarc's cross, on his heels, should have been an easy tap in. Watch the highlights!

I know there were a few other poor performance but we are going nowhere fast with him up front, and Kanchunga not looking too great either!

Fair post

Very frustrating at times Doyle and yes kachunga for me offers absolutely Jack 

43 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

Don’t disagree with any of that.

I said something similar at half time in ESL. 

I don’t have a solution though…..

Edited by captainmed

• Moderators

For me, very even first half, if anything we shaded it

From their point of view, 2 good goals

Doyle and Jones chances were better than the 2 they scored from

Anyway, they did a decent job of stopping us playing out and controlled Dapo

Finish above them and it will be a successful season

• Site Supporter

Afolyon was just about kicked off the pitch again! It seems to happen every game. He definitely needs protection from the refs.

In other news, I was in the ground fairly early. Our little coffee and pasty stall had a sign up saying, “This kiosk is closed due to staff shortages”

Thing is, the warming cabinet was full of Carr’s pasties.

I pointed out this anomaly to the bar staff who told me that if someone wanted a pasty they’d need to join the bar queue to pay then one of the bar staff would go to the kiosk and get a pasty.

You couldn’t make it up.

Edited by MickyD

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, captainmed said:

Maybe I’m on my own - I thought he played well today! 

Retained possession well, first touch was class, brought others into the game quickly, was willing to take the ball all the time and was leading from the front.

Ok he didn’t score, but there was hardly a plethora of chances created for him.