Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rotherham (H)

L/H White

A few fucking groundhog day Opportunities By them, we're missing Gilks' shouts even if he's turned like a chinese pear pear athleticism wise, he should be coaching Dixon to marshall the defence, letting them do the same two or three times in a row, and that ref was a spray tan cunt.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

11 hours ago, captainmed said:

All this nonsense about catering.

If it really is that bad then don’t queue. Surely you can wait until after the game for a pint?

For anything non-alcoholic and food/snacks etc, then just take them in yourself. Easy, just a little bit of planning involved.

Anyway the only thing that matters in football is the 3 points. 

There was no complaining under BSA when we were grinding out 1 nils against the big boys in the PL.

😎

There was plenty of complaining. Having to go down at 30 mins to guarantee a pint when we had 25k on week in week out.. 

3 hours ago, frank_spencer said:

Give Rotherham their credit they've done a job on us.

Perfect away performance 2 early goals and defend solidly to keep a clean sheet.

Yep. Turned us over. 2 goals in quick succession then sit back. 

2 hours ago, Ani said:

We are a newly promoted team and doing very well. 
Not been today as on holiday but there are going to be days when we come up against decent teams who do a job on us. 
Brush ourselves down and move on. 

Agreed.  I would have snatched hands off to be where we are, given how we struggled to beat the likes of Harrogate, Barrow and were well beaten by Exeter and Grimsby very recently, with virtually the same team.  The opposition isn't as good as I expected to be honest, I think the few improvements we need are well within our grasp in the next couple of seasons. 

1 hour ago, Black Sheep said:

For what its worth 've watched BWFC home & away for around 40 years & Doyle is over rated IMO, I think League 2 is his level, he needs 5 or 6 chances to score a goal, that chance today 1st half was a poor attempt - watch it again he was lucky that it hit the post he actually miss hits it, he lacks composure IMO he snatches at the ball instead of placing it.

He's a decent player but he's not a clinical goal scorer, saying that if he was he probably wouldn't be playing for us !, however if we want to improve next season we need a better striker than Doyle - he may work hard & help the team but he misses some glaring sitters (and he did last season as well)

All in all its been a very decent start to the season & I'm made up that we are 8th as staying up is a result for me this season - but if we are to improve we need a better striker in January who can score goals (perhaps FV will have to actually pay a fee ?) and we need some steel either at CB or in midfield as some teams can easily bully us - but as it stands this team will finish mid table quite easily 

Not a lot to argue with there imo.

We need another string to our bow - or a plan b as it’s more commonly known.

2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Created loads of openings in that first half. Shots not got away and poor final balls.

I feared the weakness in defensive side of midfield might rear its head, and at times sheehan in particular can be seen trotting back.

Didn't understand the subs though. At a time when they'd settled for what they'd got, we took of sheehan and sarc, the two creative lads, and subsequently struggled to create much.

Folk saying we were bullied- not convinced at all as we beat the press many times in that first half with nothing to show.

The usual frailties costing us at the other end.

Yeah agree with most of that, I didn't think we were bulled at all, Rotherham looked very open and easy to get through in the first half - loads of openings, played well generally 1st half, just the usual achilles heal of not being very good at shooting, if Dapo's having an off day.

I thought Sheehan played well for an hour, then seemed to run out of steam, I thought his substitution was right because he simply wasn't playing well at that stage, and his corners were dreadful.  Plus Lee played well v Burton and unlucky to be dropped.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Yeah agree with most of that, I didn't think we were bulled at all, Rotherham looked very open and easy to get through in the first half - loads of openings, played well generally 1st half, just the usual achilles heal of not being very good at shooting, if Dapo's having an off day.

I thought Sheehan played well for an hour, then seemed to run out of steam, I thought his substitution was right because he simply wasn't playing well at that stage, and his corners were dreadful.  Plus Lee played well v Burton and unlucky to be dropped.

I would have started with Lee to be honest. Tighten up a little at the back. OK he doesn't create like Sheehan but defends better.

At the time though, even if Sheehan was a but spannered, once he and sarc had  gone off, they were sat in, and we struggled to create much.

Early in the second half Dapo got a crack when fouled and hobbled about for a while. I wondered if it hampered him a bit, but without him at his best and two creative midfielders gone, we looked a bit devoid of ideas at the end.

2 hours ago, Ani said:

We are a newly promoted team and doing very well. 
Not been today as on holiday but there are going to be days when we come up against decent teams who do a job on us. 
Brush ourselves down and move on. 

We are the best version of bwfc we’ve been for many a year. Some folk will see the negative as that’s what they want to see. 

for me Rotherham will win the league. Shoot me down but I believe they will. 

we need to back up next week and bounce back. And I’m confident we will. 

2 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

Bit too much praise for Rotherham yes well drilled did a job but nothing special for me

Off day finish above this lot 

I thought that too, didn't look as good as MK Dons or Oxford, although clearly a step up from Burton.  Just an off day from us, especially Dapo.  If we'd played well and/or got the rub of the green with the Doyle chance and the disallowed goal, it could have been an entertaining 2-2 at least.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Playing Sheehan and Sarc and we’ll score goals but we will concede 

Its a big call taking one of them out but imo it’ll need to happen at times 

Agree totally. 

Can't see him dropping the captain though, and Sheehan's forward work is great.

The disappointment at the moment is the same lack of threat from set pieces as last season.

We got a head onto a couple of corners today (Jones I think) but no threat. Teams seem quite happy to concede free kicks and nullify open play threats as we don't pose many danger from them.

Could defend them better too.

Had a debate about the back 4 with my neighbour, who doesn't rate Santos and says defence is poor.

I disagreed as I reckon our defending from set pieces isn't great, but the whole team needs to improve on that. Centre halves concentrating on their big front lads can't be blamed for others not picking up a man coming in late.

Need a stronger voice in the perhaps, but the whole team needs to be stronger when facing a corner.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

Bit too much praise for Rotherham yes well drilled did a job but nothing special for me

Off day finish above this lot 

Yep.

Good side yes, but we ripped them open at times first half. Reckon IE is spot on. When chances came, and there were plenty, they weren't taken.

Need to improve defensively for sure, but in missing so many openings, we cost ourselves as much as the opposition did.

1 hour ago, L/H White said:

Agree. 

He puts a shift in don't get me wrong, but he isn't great at much else 

Difficult to put a case for Lee offering more than Sarce.  I like both players, but they are limited, in different ways.  Lee seems to play games like its 5 a side, all neat and tidy and I bet its impossible to get the ball off him at 5 a side, but never seems to look up and play the incisive pass or switch play.  Sarce is all action, heart on sleeve, 100% committed, does a bit of everything well, but no better than a mid table league one player, and that's not a criticism, he's a proper captain.

33 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Agree totally. 

Can't see him dropping the captain though, and Sheehan's forward work is great.

The disappointment at the moment is the same lack of threat from set pieces as last season.

We got a head onto a couple of corners today (Jones I think) but no threat. Teams seem quite happy to concede free kicks and nullify open play threats as we don't pose many danger from them.

Could defend them better too.

Had a debate about the back 4 with my neighbour, who doesn't rate Santos and says defence is poor.

I disagreed as I reckon our defending from set pieces isn't great, but the whole team needs to improve on that. Centre halves concentrating on their big front lads can't be blamed for others not picking up a man coming in late.

Need a stronger voice in the perhaps, but the whole team needs to be stronger when facing a corner.

It will go under the radar because we lost, but in the 2nd half Santos was fantastic.  He won every challenge (even if some are borderline fouls that he never seems to get penalised for) and his distribution was outstanding.  That drilled 40 yard pass onto Dapo's toe would have been lauded if we'd been winning.  He's got a mistake in him of course (OG last week etc) but today he looked quality.