Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rotherham (H)

L/H White

At the moment our only real attacking threat is Dapo, therefore teams target him and thus greatly reduce our attacking threat, once Amaechi and Bako are back that’ll give the opposition more to think about, looking forward to playing Rotherham on their own patch with hopefully a full squad, think we will get our revenge. 

7 minutes ago, L/H White said:

Was the goal definitely off, I haven't seen it back 

I asked the same question yesterday and someone replied and said they were right in line with it & it was definitely offside.

I noticed as soon as the liners flag went up that those in the WSL who would have been inline with it didn’t protest much.

• Site Supporter

People need to have a bit more patience. I understand as fans we want success yesterday but after 8 games last season we were near the bottom of division 4 while they were in division 2.

We'll improve gradually in every window we have Evatt & Markham in tandem. This season we'll be mid table imo but I reckon we'll challenge next season.

Enjoy the ride and let's hope for a decent FA cup run to keep us all happy

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I asked the same question yesterday and someone replied and said they were right in line with it & it was definitely offside.

I noticed as soon as the liners flag went up that those in the WSL who would have been inline with it didn’t protest much.

95% of the time, the liners get it right. I've not seen it back yet but enough people close to being in line said it was the right call. Pity it wasn't one of the 5% times

6 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

People need to have a bit more patience. I understand as fans we want success yesterday but after 8 games last season we were near the bottom of division 4 while they were in division 2.

We'll improve gradually in every window we have Evatt & Markham in tandem. This season we'll be mid table imo but I reckon we'll challenge next season.

Enjoy the ride and let's hope for a decent FA cup run to keep us all happy

Good post mate and yes patience is needed we will be ok this season I still think play offs myself

it was more frustration yesterday the place was packed week before we pump ipswich away just a bit disappointing but that happens 

• Members

Gotta remember as well we still have some young and inexperienced players, we also have a young and relatively inexperienced manager

He will get things wrong, we will lose but one thing I will say with IE is he is a man who can be trusted. He looks at things that have been wrong and makes changes.

Be reet

• Moderators

First half was a case of finishing, we didn't take our chances, they did 

Second half we didn't offer much and got quieter as the game went on 

Definitely missing Bakayoko and hopefully this Amachei has something to offer because 4-4-2 with Doyle and Kachungha up top was wank

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Thought they were basically huff and puff and shithousing but even so won comfortably.

We score one of the earlier chances and it's a totally different game but it doesn't take a tactical genius in the opposition technical area to know how to make it hard for us.

First time I'd seen a squirrel in the ground yesterday.

Wsl?

Was it a squirrel or a rat? Saw something dark shooting across the steps and under seats. Folk weren't so sure what it was it was so quick!

40 minutes ago, tomski said:

I thought completely the opposite. They did a job on Dapo and I think his head had gone yet we kept trying it time after time 

Yep. He got a whack which didn't help, but I also thought he needed to give and go a bit more. When they've two and three guys on him, we have players spare and sometimes giving them something else to think about works better than battling with them.

They deserved their win because they scored two fine goals whereas we missed everything we created.

• Moderators
16 hours ago, JimmyRiddle said:

Don't wanna disappoint the Doyle lovers!.

He has still not scored from open play in the league, 3 out of the last 4 league games the team have not scored, as a CF he is gash regardless of how much 'running' he does.

Does the goal v Oxford not count?

15 hours ago, JimmyRiddle said:

Promoted, the talent is in the team to do well and I'm not castigating him completely btw, only pointing out other managers seem a bit more agile in their team formations, nothing more. But IE will make mistakes so commenting on them doesn't mean I want him thrown on the bonfire! He is clearly learning and learning well in the main.

Doyle however...🤣 I just don't get him or what he does and would love a proper alternative so we know one way or another. Unfortunately Kanchunga doesn't look like it will be him.

You dont get him? His goal ratio is nearly one every two games! Deary me!

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, ZiggyStardust said:

Looking at that; he was one of the players that stands in an offside position initially. I never understand why, but teams do it.

Having been offside initially, why he goes and attacks the ball I don't know- he can clearly see he's still in an offside position as the ball is coming over.

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Looking at that; he was one of the players that stands in an offside position initially. I never understand why, but teams do it.

Having been offside initially, why he goes and attacks the ball I don't know- he can clearly see he's still in an offside position as the ball is coming over.

That’s something that really bugs me. Surely if you stand onside, you have a decent run to attack the ball

1 hour ago, L/H White said:

I think it was Jones that was starting in a offside position, then trying to come back on

That and short corner's make me shit brown liquid 

Johnson stood in a offside position before the free kick was taken and didn't time his run back correctly 

2 hours ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Barrow started badly under Evatt then improved massively, as did we last season. I see no reason to doubt he will be working on ways to improve us inside the way he wants us to play. 

Our improvement last season was largely when IE changed our team from February.  The signings of Dapo, Williams, Lee, John were obviously pivotal.  Some players improved - Baptiste and Jones went from average to undroppable - but I don't expect much improvement from the current squad, without new recruits and the return of Baka. That's not a criticism, its just where we're at currently.  IE said in an interview on the EFL podcast last week that his weakness is set pieces because he doesn't enjoy working on them, and that's clear when watching us, defensively and offensively.  But Johnstone is definitely a step in the right direction because he looks to have a knack of winning headers offensively and knows where the goal is, that's down to recruiting a player that has that in his locker.

A lot of fair assessments to be fair. My 2 penn’eth worth.. 

We were simply outthought and outfought be a very Wiley and structured side & their manager. Looking at the football aspect alone we (again) played some lovely stuff. Not many teams in this league can live it with. However we need 5 or 6 good moves to create 1 or 2 decent chances and even then our conversion rate is very poor. Last week was an exception to the rule where every chance went in. Yesterday, Burton and Cambridge demonstrated the issues. 

Doyle. Works hard but I agree with a few who say he’s hit his level. Works hard (tries) to run channels but does need 2 or 3 chances to score 1 which were just not creating for him. His link up play with Dapo and Isgrove was great yesterday but he’s 30 yards away from goal. He’s not quick or strong enough at this level. CB’s are better quick and stronger and his touch to get it out of his feet is poor. There’s been a few instances over the last few games where it’s been played in but he’s tried cutting back or the balls stuck under his feet. It should be one touch and bang. 

back 4 are all comfortable and we play through the thirds really well but it always breaks down in the final one. You get the impression they all went to score the perfect goal and make another pass rather than get a shot off. 

Warne outhought Evatt yesterday. First half they pressed so high on our goal kicks we couldn’t build out. The gap between their front 4 and back 4 must’ve been 30 yards. So we had to go long. As such without any support from deep it broke down. 2nd half after they pinched 2 goals they sat off and we found it hard (as Evatt referenced) to break down 2 banks in front of us. 

Baka is a big miss. Physical presence with pace that can unsettle a back 4 and give us another option. 

I applaud IE and the teams insistence on continuing to try and play no matter what the minute but he needs to come up with other plans particularly as other teams will see how Rotherham set out against us and try to mirror it. 

we’ll win more then we lose playing the way we do and it’s far more enjoyable watching us try and do it this way then previous regimes. We just got done by a more street wise and knowledgable unit yesterday