Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rotherham (H)

L/H White

• Site Supporter

Just watched some of the club's extended highlights. Kinell, don't know who put them together, but it misses out just about every opening we had in the first half.

Unbalanced.

They do confirm the lack of defensive cover from Sarc and Sheehan though.

Williams can't do everything. 

5 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Wsl?

Was it a squirrel or a rat? Saw something dark shooting across the steps and under seats. Folk weren't so sure what it was it was so quick!

Yep. He got a whack which didn't help, but I also thought he needed to give and go a bit more. When they've two and three guys on him, we have players spare and sometimes giving them something else to think about works better than battling with them.

They deserved their win because they scored two fine goals whereas we missed everything we created.

That sums it up perfectly.  For all "Warne outthought Evatt; they were more streetwise; they did a job on us" etc, they won because that first goal was a shot that I'm not sure we have a player capable of executing.  And they scored from one of their few corners partly because their corners were dangerous, compared to our frustrating near post deliveries.  We can talk tactics all day long but if you can't, or won't, cross or shoot accurately that has to be what needs addressing first.

• Site Supporter
27 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

That sums it up perfectly.  For all "Warne outthought Evatt; they were more streetwise; they did a job on us" etc, they won because that first goal was a shot that I'm not sure we have a player capable of executing.  And they scored from one of their few corners partly because their corners were dangerous, compared to our frustrating near post deliveries.  We can talk tactics all day long but if you can't, or won't, cross or shoot accurately that has to be what needs addressing first.

Aye.

Fwiw I don't think we were out fought at all, a physical game yes, and they made it difficult at times because they are decent. We have a couple of obvious issues that need addressing, but overall we're doing OK.

Lots of over reaction to our loss on Twitter. This is the summary in The Football League Paper. Spot on in my view.

Two divisions separated these clubs last season. That gap is down to just two places and one point as Rotherham deployed previous Championship nous to do a number on the Trotters.

It was a lesson individually and collectively for Wanderers. They conceded from two setplays and missed a host of chances at the other end. Chief threat Dapo Afolayan was increasingly marked and fouled out of the game.

But there was plenty to suggest Bolton can bounce back.

First time I'd seen a squirrel in the ground yesterday.

Was it a squirrel or a rat? Saw something dark shooting across the steps and under seats. Folk weren't so sure what it was it was so quick!

You are never more than 2 metres from a rat. It was a rat, live with it.

I could hire out my ferrets, sadly my ratting dog is no more

4 hours ago, TrickyTrotter said:

Lots of over reaction to our loss on Twitter. This is the summary in The Football League Paper. Spot on in my view.

Two divisions separated these clubs last season. That gap is down to just two places and one point as Rotherham deployed previous Championship nous to do a number on the Trotters.

It was a lesson individually and collectively for Wanderers. They conceded from two setplays and missed a host of chances at the other end. Chief threat Dapo Afolayan was increasingly marked and fouled out of the game.

That's where I'm at. No disgrace losing to Rotherham, who are one of the better sides in this league.

We're currently averaging enough points for a top 10 finish, which in my opinion would equate to a very successful first season back up.

Too many Bolton fans seem to think we should win every game and have to have a big inquest after every game we don't win resulting in lots of criticism of our management & players.

This team is our League 2 team plus Sheehan who we signed from League 2.
Rotherham were in the Championship.

4 minutes ago, matty2094 said:

Apologies if it’s been mentioned but how/why the fuck did the ref give that drop ball back to their keeper second half after we had possession and the ref stopped it for their head injury? 

A new rule for this season or just a fuckwit of a ref?

Guy behind us, Mounts knows  him, think he plays for Colls. Said same thing happened to them, ref said they had been told to drop it to the keeper, if play was stopped for a head injury in the box.

Rules state:

Dropped ball

PROCEDURE

• The ball is dropped for the defending team goalkeeper in their penalty area if, when play was stopped:
    • the ball was in the penalty area or
    • the last touch of the ball was in the penalty area

so, I have no idea, but it seemed a bit odd.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, matty2094 said:

Apologies if it’s been mentioned but how/why the fuck did the ref give that drop ball back to their keeper second half after we had possession and the ref stopped it for their head injury? 

A new rule for this season or just a fuckwit of a ref?

If they weren't going to give it back we should have contested it.

Presumably our lot thought they would and the ref too, but he could see they weren't going to so perhaps should have had a word and then re dropped it after inviting someone to contest it.

24 minutes ago, Ani said:

I think yesterday was a needed reality check for people. 

However no one should lose sight of how far we have come in last 18 months or so. From being on the brink of going out of existence we are showing we can compete in a league we just got promoted to, we have players who clearly what to be here and play for the club. A manager who wants to play attacking football and maybe most importantly owners who 'get it' and are constantly raising the bar for the club.

I know people picking faults with certain players want the club to do well and that it is just how they express their support. But let's be honest this is the most exciting time to be a Bolton fan for a very long time. It will be a roller coaster but just enjoy the ride it is a million times better than it looked like not that long ago. There is pride back in the club let's celebrate that every week rather than worrying about the little niggles that will always be there  

Yes, to all of this.

9 hours ago, Ani said:

However no one should lose sight of how far we have come in last 18 months or so. From being on the brink of going out of existence we are showing we can compete in a league we just got promoted to, we have players who clearly what to be here and play for the club. A manager who wants to play attacking football and maybe most importantly owners who 'get it' and are constantly raising the bar for the club.

I know people picking faults with certain players want the club to do well and that it is just how they express their support. But let's be honest this is the most exciting time to be a Bolton fan for a very long time. It will be a roller coaster but just enjoy the ride it is a million times better than it looked like not that long ago. There is pride back in the club let's celebrate that every week rather than worrying about the little niggles that will always be there  

Nail on head. Great post

1 hour ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Nail on head. Great post

And keep in mind that just 7 months (almost to the day) ago we were 2-0 down at Mansfield with 10 minutes to go and facing being 20th in L2. After surprisingly winning that, having the run we did and a good start to the season, we're 37 places higher than that. OK, we can still be critical of performances, but also need to count blessings...

11 hours ago, Ani said:

100% agree.  Not a day goes by that I don't think how great it feels to be a Bolton fan, compared to (as referenced by Satan Greavesie) where we were after the Tranmere defeat and when 2 down at Mansfield.  We couldn't even compete at league 2 level and now we're looking like an established league one club, fingers crossed, with hopes of looking towards promotion in a year or 2 instead of fearing what the future holds.

17 hours ago, TrickyTrotter said:

Fair summary that - we just need to remember how far we have come and not get carried away.