Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rotherham (H)

L/H White

The inconsistency is the frustrating thing at the minute. The Burton and Ipswich performances were as good as I’ve seen but the Cambridge and Rotherham games were quite poor, aside from possession stats. 
Plenty of similarities between those two games.

If we can get on a good run for 10 games we should solidify our place in the top 6 this season.

MJ should have blocked the shot for their first goal I think, and the corner was well-worked from them - heading it into the ground and the bounce going over Sarcevic on the far post was probably the only way he could’ve scored the header from that range. Can’t say they exactly sliced through us many times.

Dapo wasn’t at his best but have to credit their right back for keeping him at bay. Doyle should have scored but hit the post and also wasn’t on his toes when the ball flashed across goal in the second half.

Bad day at the office and Rotherham fully deserved to win but nothing overly concerning at this stage.

Could do with some good recruitment in January to help us kick on second half of the season. Hopefully Baka and Amaechi will be back within the next month. Still only 4 pts off top.

1 hour ago, Traf said:

It was unusual for Doyle to snatch at the chance that hit the post. If anything, he normally delays to make sure. Had he hung on a moment, he'd have seen the keeper was flying across the goal leaving it wide open.

I thought Doyles shot that hit the post was just an instinctive snapshot, i noticed some on here saying it was a “sitter” but i just didn’t see it that way, it came at him quick and i thought he was fucking unlucky with a great attempt,another inch or two the other side of the post would have seen him hailed a hero.

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I thought Doyles shot that hit the post was just an instinctive snapshot, i noticed some on here saying it was a “sitter” but i just didn’t see it that way, it came at him quick and i thought he was fucking unlucky with a great attempt,another inch or two the other side of the post would have seen him hailed a hero.

Exactly the way I saw it 

• Site Supporter

Watching it again, he has to adjust his body position because the ball bounces a touch too soon to make it a half volley. Consequently, it's on the rise, so he leans over slightly to keep it down. Perhaps it's that lean that makes him drag it across slightly and not into the net.

Certainly gets a thump on it, and it's not that easy a technique. Still should have bagged it though. 

41 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Watching it again, he has to adjust his body position because the ball bounces a touch too soon to make it a half volley. Consequently, it's on the rise, so he leans over slightly to keep it down. Perhaps it's that lean that makes him drag it across slightly and not into the net.

Certainly gets a thump on it, and it's not that easy a technique. Still should have bagged it though. 

It was definitely an awkward one to take.

• The topic was unpinned