Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sunderland (a)

L/H White

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

We aren’t going up. We need another season to get rid of the rest of the league 2 players and transition the squad.

I think my hopes were too high from our good start but we’ll be mid table with this squad and that’s alright.

I wouldn’t rule us out just yet, our approach play is very decent and when we get Baka back we have got another decent option. 

3 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Last two games our attack has been all bark and no bite. 

I know you're quoting a Sun'land fan there, but its hard to argue with it.  I've only listened to commentary today but its a feature of our recent games, that's 5 games out of the last 6 against league one teams that we've failed to score.  And keepers aren't exactly needing to have a blinder against us either.  Frustrating. 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

We aren’t going up. We need another season to get rid of the rest of the league 2 players and transition the squad.

I think my hopes were too high from our good start but we’ll be mid table with this squad and that’s alright.

Probably where I'm at now to be honest.

But 4 games out of 5 without scoring and Doyle none from open play in 9 league games!!!, just shy of 1/5 of the season so not quite the season I was expecting.

Be careful though, certain parties on here don't like criticism aimed at Doyler, they'll be after you.

5 minutes ago, Breightmet Boy said:

I’m actually happy with the performance, our defenders threw themselves in front of plenty of shots, our midfields passing was mint, we just need someone to compliment the nine and punish the other team, with that we are capable of a surge and good run of wins

We’ll done the 9

Just now, JimmyRiddle said:

Probably where I'm at now to be honest.

But 4 games out of 5 without scoring and Doyle none from open play in 9 league games!!!, just shy of 1/5 of the season so not quite the season I was expecting.

Be careful though, certain parties on here don't like criticism aimed at Doyler, they'll be after you.

I’m not after an argument, I like the guy, think he’s a good striker, he did brilliant for us last season and I wanted him to carry it on into this season.

But, I’ve seen enough of him to know that he’s not the standard you need to go up from this division. His hold up play is good, and he’ll probably score around 10 goals, so he’s probably an average striker for this division which I don’t think is unfair - but he’s not the guy to lead the line for a promotion winning team.

I hoped Sarce could make the same transition but I don’t think he can (again just average in this league) and I’m undecided on Isgrove and Jones.

It’s not a dig, we shouldn’t expect to come up and win the league, and the start has increased expectations with me as much as anyone, but it’s the truth without the rose tinted’s on.

If we can stay in the pack to Jan and make 2 or 3 decent signings then I might change my mind, but it isn’t happening as we are.

9 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Genuinely the worst team I’ve seen us play, gave them way to much respect. Very frustrating. 

Wow, if they are worse than Burton and Ipswich that's some going!  Jimmy's team in freefall as expected after that display at our place.

But Sunderland definitely sounded worse than many of the teams we've played to date (but their narrow win sounded similar to a few of our's last season that got us promoted).

7 corners and the first time it lands on a Bolton head the ball goes back to the corner taker....offside!! I wonder if they score from corners in training.

Performance wise I am still more than happy with but we do struggle in the final 3rd.

I'd take 8-14th in January, then similar to last season, bring in improved players and maybe kick on for the 2nd half of the season.

1 minute ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Wow, if they are worse than Burton and Ipswich that's some going!  Jimmy's team in freefall as expected after that display at our place.

But Sunderland definitely sounded worse than many of the teams we've played to date (but their narrow win sounded similar to a few of our's last season that got us promoted).

Forgot about Burton, but by god how the fuck Sunderland up top I’ve no idea, we absolutely embarrassed them at football. 

• Site Supporter

Negatives: Set-Plays. Some key players not at their best today, eg Santos and Dapo. Gordon I don’t think is L1 quality. Jones/Isgrove partnership not as effective today. Chances not converted. Playing out from the back caused too many problems today.

Postives: Another game against a supposed big player in this league where we looked better (despite not being at our best) Johnstone outstanding today. As was Williams. Kachunga was decent when he came on. We are going to create chances against everyone in this division, lots today. There’s a massive amount of belief, spirit and togetherness in this squad that will take us far.

13 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Would love to stay mid table for the reasons you say.  7 months ago I'd have settled for mid table in league 2 and its virtually the same team but now without any (fit) alternative to Doyle.  2 big games next week.

29 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Another disappointing 0 from us; we need a striker.

That was the risk we took when we decided to go with what we'd got at the end of the transfer window , despite the injuries in the forward department.  

Hopefully some of the injured should be back sooner rather than later , and also Kachunga should be approaching full fitness .

Edited by dusan nikolic

• Site Supporter

So I summary, virtually none of our players did anything, doubts that they're good enough for league one, but we've played the better football and Sunderland were shite.

It's all well and good complaining, but what do folk expect, we have little money to spend on players and wages. I'm sure if there was Evatt would have brought them in.

Fwiw, I don't think Sarc is necessarily producing his best because I don't think the midfield is balanced enough and perhaps he's lost some of his freedom.

We've lost narrowly to a team tipped by many to be at the top, and given a right good account of ourselves.

We're gaining respect and that augers well for the next window in attracting players who might be a bit better than what we have now. But until then this lot are doing pretty well.

It's frustrating, and the deficiencies are there, but so are the positives and we mustn't loose sight of that.

Stick with it, keep the crowds coming and help give Sharon some brass.

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

So I summary, virtually none of our players did anything, doubts that they're good enough for league one, but we've played the better football and Sunderland were shite.

It's all well and good complaining, but what do folk expect, we have little money to spend on players and wages. I'm sure if there was Evatt would have brought them in.

Fwiw, I don't think Sarc is necessarily producing his best because I don't think the midfield is balanced enough and perhaps he's lost some of his freedom.

We've lost narrowly to a team tipped by many to be at the top, and given a right good account of ourselves.

We're gaining respect and that augers well for the next window in attracting players who might be a bit better than what we have now. But until then this lot are doing pretty well.

It's frustrating, and the deficiencies are there, but so are the positives and we mustn't loose sight of that.

Stick with it, keep the crowds coming and help give Sharon some brass.

I completely agree. I think we’re playing good football in the main and taking it to some of the “favourites”. I’m far from disappointed and absolutely perspective is needed when you consider where we come from.

Early season results have increased this season’s expectations, and I’m as guilty as any, but the last few games have just confirmed for me that we are not where we need to be to challenge, we are still relying on too many good players in league 2 who haven’t managed to transition to anything more than average league 1 players.

We have a brilliant manager and already have a “philosophy” or way of playing that is better than most. And we’ll go up soon enough, I just don’t think we have enough currently so expectations need to be aligned.

26 minutes ago, desperado said:

Negatives: Set-Plays. Some key players not at their best today, eg Santos and Dapo. Gordon I don’t think is L1 quality. Jones/Isgrove partnership not as effective today. Chances not converted. Playing out from the back caused too many problems today.

Postives: Another game against a supposed big player in this league where we looked better (despite not being at our best) Johnstone outstanding today. As was Williams. Kachunga was decent when he came on. We are going to create chances against everyone in this division, lots today. There’s a massive amount of belief, spirit and togetherness in this squad that will take us far.

I was happy for Gordon to be given a chance and nothing against him, but even at Lincoln when we won (so everyone was praised), he looked like the weak link. I'm not one for square pegs in round holes but next time John is unavailable, I'd have Johnstone at left back and Baptiste C/B.  It would make us taller/more physical when defending or attacking set pieces, and nothing lost going forward.

2 minutes ago, captainmed said:

Concede first again.

Fail to score again.

Play well again.

Fail to win again.

Rinse and repeat.

Results tell a story.

Fine margins. We are a few players short quality wise. We need something else up top (Bakayoko back in first instance). I am still enjoying it and yes it's frustrating but still a lot to like and a lot to look forward to.