Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sunderland (a)

L/H White

• Site Supporter
Just now, woolli said:

The same Evatt who as already stated we dont need another striker!

Woah there hoss. 

What's he supposed to say- I want another because Doyle isn't good enough?

Crikey, we can't compete financially with some, so he knows full well he has to be patient and go with what be has until the right player is available at the right price.

Certainly don't go undermining those you're going to have to rely on.

• Members

Bit of perspective we’re in league one. We have a 33 league one striker who should have scored a lot more than he did in league 2. 
He’s playing at this level for a reason. He has the hardest job and runs his bollocks off and is lacking a bit of confidence. Calling him shit or calling for him to be dropped is ridiculous. 

Kneejerk hysterical reactions on here at times 

Maybe it needs Doyle to miss a game or 2 for some to see how much he brings to the team, & how far ahead of any competition for his place, he is.

Of course IE would love to bring in an upgrade, just as he would for every position, but recruiting a better striker than Doyle for nothing is needle in a haystack stuff & will always be a gamble.  Kachunga for example, would anyone moaning at Doyle really want to replace him with Kachunga ? (when fit,Bakayoko might give us an option but his goalscoring record is nothing special )

2 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

It’s impossible to be real mates with a red, in over 50 years and most of it in and around LH & Walkden I proud to say that I haven’t managed it yet. 🤣

The only thing Mancunian about those places is the postcode and the imported big shithouse bum dossers from Man-chest-staw, from when they cleared the Mancunian slums in the early 1900's, 1930's and again in the postwar years of the 50's/60's/70's...

Hence the preponderance of monkey-walking "hee-yah, hee-yah arr kydd'' plastic Manc reject fraggles living a mere twenty minutes slow jog from Burnden up the old Bolton-Eccles Railway.

Unfortunately these, spit, Reds I'm frien...acquaintanced with, actually go (or went) and the Scum are their local team.

It's easy to be mates with them, just never talk about the game with them, if they insist make excuses, go and vomit in the bogs, then go home.

I've known some utter cunts on our side down the years as well, I wouldn't micturate on them should they be immolated.

• Members
3 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Is it?

He was shit yesterday, where it mattered in front of goal, and he's been pretty shit in most games this season, he gets a free pass from most fans because he puts a decent shift in, which is fine, but he needs to score, most of the chances we create go to Doyle, he needs a better conversion rate.

If a striker is struggling and out of form, they usually get dropped, fortunately for Doyle, we don't have another striker to replace him.

Exactly. So who does he get dropped for? No one. So do you drop a player who’s low in confidence or rally around him and believe in him 

• Members
4 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

From Evatts perspective that's what he and the club have to do, but if fans have an opinion that Doyle is shit, the fans have that right, it's not ridiculous.

This season overall, Doyle has been shit.

It’s also my right to think it’s ridiculous 

• Site Supporter

If Doyle drops back to become almost an extra midfielder is it beyond the other midfielders for one of them to show centrally for an out-ball? It isn’t currently working where the only ball for Doyle is just out wide. Maybe we need someone to fill Doyle’s boots in the middle.

• Members
3 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

1, and your point is ?

I'm not basing it on last season, because as you well know, the team was put together in record time. Now we are more settled, its clear what we are missing and what positions need strengthening.

If we had a back up striker, nobody would be complaining if he was dropped, we haven't, so it's a case of carrying on with what we have, so let's hope he bags a couple on Tuesday and we come away with 3 points.

My point is it’s a better league and if he was dropped last season we wouldn’t have gone up even when we did have a back up striker. Form is temporary 

Just now, only1swanny said:

Think Kachunga would do well in that central position as he's all 9vdr the place when he's brought on. 

I defo thought that should have happened for the last 20 yesterday when Doyle was dead on his feet. Dapo right Thomason left maybe, something just to change it up a bit and be creative.

4 matches out of 5 without scoring is a poor stat for a team playing so much football.

2 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

All hyperthetical, comparisons to last season are like apples & oranges.

We've had bad luck with injuries to Bakayako and the Amekachi lad that we haven't seen yet, hopefully when all are fit, it will give Doyle a lift, or a place on the subs bench.

Still short in the striking department though and it doesn't alter the fact that in front of goal this season Doyle has been shit.

I feel a bit sorry for Doyle works is bollocks off but it better suited to playing with someone along side him to feed off . With our style of play we might be better with bakayoko who can may be hold it and play with is back to goal or alternative play them both and drop sarc 

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

I feel a bit sorry for Doyle works is bollocks off but it better suited to playing with someone along side him to feed off . With our style of play we might be better with bakayoko who can may be hold it and play with is back to goal or alternative play them both and drop sarc 

I don't think Evatt will go with 2 up like that.

We'd still have the issue of little defensive cover from the midfield, but whether that would be overcome with more goals, who knows.

Always ideas, and ultimately, that's Evatt's job to work out how best to play.

Going off last year though, he made a change in shape fairly early on but stuck to his guns over how we played until it came good.

Can't see major changes just yet.

25 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

. With our style of play we might be better with bakayoko who can may be hold it and play with is back to goal or alternative play them both and drop sarc 

This for me is more it than Doyle scoring or not scoring goals, and I agree he looks to me like he would be great foil for a target man in a  4 4 2, but that's not us.

I said last season I thought Doyle was the weak link in the way we want to.play and got pelters on here, but I stand by it. The recent run we are on is indicative of many games last season, however then against poorer opposition we came out on top when on the good run when many games we still had minimal chances on target.

So with so many runners from midfield, and trying to stretch the width across the pitch,  we need a striker who can play with their back to goal, have good upper body strength and disrupt the centre halves by being a nuisance.

Of all the strikers we have had in recent years I think Nathan Blake would be the best fit for me, strong as an ox, can win headers and enough pace to worry some defenders. I think a striker more of that ilk would allow the team play with more freedom and space, as they would be occupying/concerning defenders far more than Doyle ever does.

More worryingly is Evatt seems to think Doyle is the best we have coz even when Bakayoko was fit he played him wide right??

Edited by JimmyRiddle

15 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

This for me is more it than Doyle scoring or not scoring goals, and I agree he looks to me like he would be great foil for a target man in a  4 4 2, but that's not us.

I said last season I thought Doyle was the weak link in the way we want to.play and got pelters on here, but I stand by it. The recent run we are on is indicative of many games last season, however then against poorer opposition we came out on top when on the good run when many games we still had minimal chances on target.

So with so many runners from midfield, and trying to stretch the width across the pitch,  we need a striker who can play with their back to goal, have good upper body strength and disrupt the centre halves by being a nuisance.

Of all the strikers we have had in recent years I think Nathan Blake would be the best fit for me, strong as an ox, can win headers and enough pace to worry some defenders. I think a striker more of that ilk would allow the team play with more freedom and space, as they would be occupying/concerning defenders far more than Doyle ever does.

More worryingly is Evatt seems to think Doyle is the best we have coz even when Bakayoko was fit he played him wide right??

I said yesterday a Nathan Blake type would be brilliant in this team.

For now everyone seems to agree that Doyle is our best option up front , once the injuries are sorted that might change. No dispute Doyle gives 100%. Based on that seems sensible to back him. 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Ani said:

I said yesterday a Nathan Blake type would be brilliant in this team.

For now everyone seems to agree that Doyle is our best option up front , once the injuries are sorted that might change. No dispute Doyle gives 100%. Based on that seems sensible to back him. 

I think that is what Evatt is ultimately planning with Baka. Obviously injured, and some debate over his finishing quality (iirc his stats are worse than Doyle's) but perhaps Evatt isn't concerned over who scores, as long as we do.

I like Isgrove, but I think with Baka & Doyle both in the XI we'll score more.

We'd then miss Isgrove's workrate getting back, so you'd have to sacrifice one of Sarce or Sheehan for Lee or Thomason. On current form, it'd be Sarce missing out. Sheehan seems to be the first replaced of late, so maybe Sarce plays the last half hour?

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, Traf said:

I like Isgrove, but I think with Baka & Doyle both in the XI we'll score more.

We'd then miss Isgrove's workrate getting back, so you'd have to sacrifice one of Sarce or Sheehan for Lee or Thomason. On current form, it'd be Sarce missing out. Sheehan seems to be the first replaced of late, so maybe Sarce plays the last half hour?

Perfectly reasonable. 

Just realised Harry Kane hasn't scored a league goal yet this season. Not just Doyle who is missing them.