Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Kachunga - victim of racist abuse

TroySwoosh

1 hour ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

You've won me over with your intellect. 

Good.

Glad you're not envious of your intellectual superiors

I know it wasn't your choice you probably left school at fourteen to go and work as a carder in th'Mill, that 3s 6d per week you brought in was much needed...

Edited by Youri McAnespie

11 minutes ago, Carlos said:

Youri, go and sleep off whatever Poitín or LSD you are tripping on today.

He started it, he's only been here ten minutes and he's accusing me, one of the biggest bleeding heart liberals on here of bigotry whilst defending someone (Bolty) who openly admits he's going to boo.

I suppose any poster who's received a reply of 'You sicken me' has wrote something incredibly racist?

I'm pacific Pete - but I ain't being pulled up for being something I ain't by someone who's been here all of fifteen minutes.

Including some bizarre allegation I'm racist too.

Daft owd sod.

• Site Supporter

Got to admit, I hate the term M0ng when relating to Downs Syndrome kids, M0ngy Darren included. However, it’s use is all about context. If someone I know off here came up to me at a match and greeted me with, “Alright m0ng boy?” or similar I’d laugh it off. If, however, they were referring to a Downs Syndrome person at the same game I’d be pissed off with their attitude. 

As I said, it’s all about context.

39 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Got to admit, I hate the term M0ng when relating to Downs Syndrome kids, M0ngy Darren included. However, it’s use is all about context. If someone I know off here came up to me at a match and greeted me with, “Alright m0ng boy?” or similar I’d laugh it off. If, however, they were referring to a Downs Syndrome person at the same game I’d be pissed off with their attitude. 

Well said...

Maybe that's why I didn't get that job at Birtenshaw, when I opened my sample teach with "Alreet m0ngy boys and girls"..?

Like MickyD says it's got its own meaning on here stemming from the days of a filter.

Darren has always been Darren to me.

His mention of ageism yet failure to pull me up for my homophobic slur suggests to me that, for him, it was less about disabled rights and more of trying to paint me as a hypocrite.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's a budding boo-er like Bolty admits to being.

And why gun for me? What about; Tory tosser Leigh White? Puritanical Prudish Preacher Gonzo? Drug and Drink Addled Thug Didledee? The thick and proud of it Malcolm or the vile racist pair that are Rudy and Deane?

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, MickyD said:

I'll remember this next time I see you at the match

(am I ok to follow it up with facial gesture where you stick your tongue behind your lower lip and go "ugh"?)

33 minutes ago, MickyD said:

There is no context where calling someone that is concerned. Just as there is no context for using racial slurs.

I get that times have changed and what was once done unthinkingly is now more highlighted but the right thing to then do is hold your hands up, say "yeah, I understand" and not do it again.

But no, he doubles down. Triples down. Goes on about age, about homosexuality, about disability & feels its OK because he's been doing it for years. You see it as "in context".

You may as well abandon any claims to racial insults being wrong in that case ... aaaah, but no, that is virtuous & gets you righteousness points.

• Site Supporter

There is no context where calling someone that is concerned. Just as there is no context for using racial slurs.

I get that times have changed and what was once done unthinkingly is now more highlighted but the right thing to then do is hold your hands up, say "yeah, I understand" and not do it again.

But no, he doubles down. Triples down. Goes on about age, about homosexuality, about disability & feels its OK because he's been doing it for years. You see it as "in context".

You may as well abandon any claims to racial insults being wrong in that case ... aaaah, but no, that is virtuous & gets you righteousness points.

So now it's my fault?

Aye,  alreet!

• Members

There’s always context 

6 minutes ago, Rudy said:

There’s always context 

I often wonder about this. I was in the Army with a few black lads and I'm sure I said some things that written down now would look pretty bad.

And the context then was I was living with these guys, going on the piss, in the same football teams, going on exercise/deployment s,  they were my mates.

So anything said was not with any malicious intent, and they gave as good as they got!. But 20 years later I'm worried how it would look now, and also, not my mates but people looking for an angle could portray similar banter years later?.

I also don't know if it's a northern thing too, we take the piss out of our nearest and dearest, it's a term of endearment almost, if I don't like you coz you're a cunt would just say so!

• Members
13 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

I often wonder about this. I was in the Army with a few black lads and I'm sure I said some things that written down now would look pretty bad.

And the context then was I was living with these guys, going on the piss, in the same football teams, going on exercise/deployment s,  they were my mates.

So anything said was not with any malicious intent, and they gave as good as they got!. But 20 years later I'm worried how it would look now, and also, not my mates but people looking for an angle could portray similar banter years later?.

I also don't know if it's a northern thing too, we take the piss out of our nearest and dearest, it's a term of endearment almost, if I don't like you coz you're a cunt would just say so!

To me it’s the content never the word. The other day me and my (white mates) were quoting certain scenes from Django unchained. No one was being harmed or offended. 
You have to know your surroundings of course but if it’s not malicious all good with me 

50 minutes ago, Rudy said:

To me it’s the content never the word. The other day me and my (white mates) were quoting certain scenes from Django unchained. No one was being harmed or offended. 
You have to know your surroundings of course but if it’s not malicious all good with me 

Like the big hoohah about Edinson Cavani?

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, MickyD said:

I used to see Darren occasionally at the day centre he went to (pre Covid, don't know if he still goes). He still knew me as a Bolton fan and remembered my nickname and we always had a talk about the match.

• Site Supporter

I may have said before, Darren was one of the first Downs kids to go into mainstream education at Smithills. A former colleague and one or two classmates still take him out for a meal every year which, 34 or so years after leaving is a fine effort.

We we’re once returning from a fire, this same colleague, RM, was officer and I was driving. Darren was standing at the bus stop near Ainsworth Arms, top of Halliwell Rd. We stopped and RM asked him where he was off to. He was going to Jubilee Centre to a party. RM asked the crew if we were ok to give him a lift down.

No worries, so in he jumped. He was like an excited kid! Even more so when I flicked the sirens and blue lights on all the way down to Shepherds Cross Street. He loved it!