Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Women's Football

Mr Grey

• Members

In terms of how long it’s being going as a professional sport it’s good

In terms of sky and co thinking it is as a stand alone sport to go along mens football it’s shit

Its a proper poor standard even at the highest level 

Its proper conference stuff, sky are just milking it to try and appear more diverse, there isn’t a call for it. The crowds are minuscule. They’re so far off being a high level sport.

Look at all the clubs who could benefit from getting shown on sky on a Sunday instead of this.

Pandering to an audience that isn’t there scared of upsetting a sensitive fuckin world. 

Stick them on terrestrial and see who gives a fuck

The only people who will go to watch women's football is those who know someone is playing or schoolkids because they get given free tickets.

Football fans generally choose to watch football because its either their team that they've been brought up to support or because they want to watch football of a good standard. Women's football fits into neither of these.

I think it's good that women want to play and I think it's good efforts are being made to improve it, but for it to be put up there and talked about in the same breath as the men's game is nonsense for me.

• Site Supporter
43 minutes ago, Rudy said:

In terms of how long it’s being going as a professional sport it’s good

In terms of sky and co thinking it is as a stand alone sport to go along mens football it’s shit

Its a proper poor standard even at the highest level 

Its proper conference stuff, sky are just milking it to try and appear more diverse, there isn’t a call for it. The crowds are minuscule. They’re so far off being a high level sport.

Look at all the clubs who could benefit from getting shown on sky on a Sunday instead of this.

Pandering to an audience that isn’t there scared of upsetting a sensitive fuckin world. 

Stick them on terrestrial and see who gives a fuck

Spot on

Like watching England play. 

The overall standard will no doubt improve. American's women's football is very skilful because it's been going for longer.

The difficulty I have with the domestic game is the lack of context. We all know the history of all the clubs in the men's football league - we know when Bolton have won against a big successful club or how shit it feels when we lose at home to tinpot crap like Tranmere. We know the derby matches, the grudge matches, the matches with a bit of history to them etc. In the women's game you get clubs with the same names but that history isn't there as a reference point. 

23 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Perhaps their matched will be played just before the male counterparts soon- bit like the hundred.

Crowds would be massive then!

Chelsea Women have sold out their season tickets this year, you have to take your chance you'll get in if you want to go watch. They play at Kingsmeadow where Wimbledon used to play.

23 hours ago, paulhanley said:

Like watching England play. 

The overall standard will no doubt improve. American's women's football is very skilful because it's been going for longer.

The difficulty I have with the domestic game is the lack of context. We all know the history of all the clubs in the men's football league - we know when Bolton have won against a big successful club or how shit it feels when we lose at home to tinpot crap like Tranmere. We know the derby matches, the grudge matches, the matches with a bit of history to them etc. In the women's game you get clubs with the same names but that history isn't there as a reference point. 

Agree with that.  There are loads of reasons why women's football carries zero appeal to me, and I do enjoy other women's sports like tennis, athletics, Olympic sports etc.  But nobody's weekend is spoiled by City women losing v Chelsea, apart from the players involved.  And that's no different to Daisy Hill losing to Padiham.  Why should it be on TV?  There are so many sports that could do with more exposure/funding - badminton, bowls, squash doesn't get that benefit, they have to fend for themselves.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Exiled Girl said:

Chelsea Women have sold out their season tickets this year, you have to take your chance you'll get in if you want to go watch. They play at Kingsmeadow where Wimbledon used to play.

That's pretty good, but putting it into context, that's less than 5000 for top competition in the women's game.

International players, European matches etc.

Room to grow no doubt, but the game doesn't have the appeal of the men's. 

It’s not for me. I have gone off non Bolton/England football so much I’m close to disliking the sport this never really stood a chance. 

Not sure why people need to bag it mind. Either watch it or don’t. Sky are a bit desperate in how they are pushing it but sky are desperate in general.

Id have it on par with going to watch Radcliffe or Coll’s 

Important to add a bit of balance on this one I think

And I say that coming from a similar self-centred outlook as most on here, in that as a professional spectator Sport it’s not really high on my agenda.

However from a professional outlook (teacher and coach of girls football teams and advocate of the game through the girls in football partnership) and as a father (like others on here) of a daughter who enjoys playing football, the tv exposure can help grow the game. She likes watching women’s football and is starting to get to know some of the players who can act as good role models. 

If we are interested in the future generations of our daughters/granddaughters choosing sport, choosing football and choosing healthy lifestyles then I don’t see a problem with the exposure it’s getting. 

There’s loads of sports channels now with a whole host of programmes, sports and variations, it’s easy to chose not to watch it if you don’t want to.