Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion

Women's Football

Mr Grey

17 minutes ago, desperado said:

Important to add a bit of balance on this one I think

And I say that coming from a similar self-centred outlook as most on here, in that as a professional spectator Sport it’s not really high on my agenda.

However from a professional outlook (teacher and coach of girls football teams and advocate of the game through the girls in football partnership) and as a father (like others on here) of a daughter who enjoys playing football, the tv exposure can help grow the game. She likes watching women’s football and is starting to get to know some of the players who can act as good role models. 

If we are interested in the future generations of our daughters/granddaughters choosing sport, choosing football and choosing healthy lifestyles then I don’t see a problem with the exposure it’s getting. 

There’s loads of sports channels now with a whole host of programmes, sports and variations, it’s easy to chose not to watch it if you don’t want to.

Good post that.

It's a decent post, and from that perspective it's fair enough, Desperado puts some valid points forward.

However the quality is shit, the viewing figures are shit, crowds are shit and Sky's coverage is over the top.

13 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

And your point is? Or I'm guessing you don't really have one.

I think its a decent post.

It IS a good post .and covers your point well .. but what the BBC & Sky are currently doing is giving huge publicity to something which nowhere justifies it.

Like putting on a pice of drama performed by an AmDram troupe and pretending it's like the RSC performing it.

The amount of shoehorning is not justified and pissing off a very large number of people. As a wider, serious point the media are trying to social engineer and not showing the true picture. That's not their role. There is a situation now where no public figure could possibly speak this view in public and keep their job. That is wrong.

8 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

It IS a good post .and covers your point well .. but what the BBC & Sky are currently doing is giving huge publicity to something which nowhere justifies it.

Like putting on a pice of drama performed by an AmDram troupe and pretending it's like the RSC performing it.

The amount of shoehorning is not justified and pissing off a very large number of people. As a wider, serious point the media are trying to social engineer and not showing the true picture. That's not their role. There is a situation now where no public figure could possibly speak this view in public and keep their job. That is wrong.

Or after years of underfunding it's now being given the resources it deserves to improve.

I don't see why it pisses people off. Don't like it? Don't watch. I don't watch Golf or Tennis or F1 or millions of other sports.

One of my daughters loves football, just started in her Year 7 team. We've been to Bolton lots but taking her to see the women's FA Cup final or Arsenal ladies has been her real highlights and inspired her to want to play more. Friend of mine has just been named FA Kent coach of the year for her work with Canterbury's veteran women's team, she and many of her players never had a chance to play at school or anywhere else. She's a huge football fan - she made the infamous documentary on Orient years back - and its great to see her able to fully get involved now.

As I say, people can switch over if they want, as for social engineering, I'd say that's a bit. Sky isn't a charity, they do things to make money, they feel there is huge potential for growth in this market or else they wouldn't do it.

Women's football doesn't appeal to me to be honest. It's Ok for about 10 minutes to have a laugh at the goalkeepers, but otherwise, I'll watch a different channel.

It's a non-story about why Sky etc show it, they show lots of other minority sports like Rugby (both), golf, F1 etc etc, none of which are appealing either. 

However, if showing women's football gets more girls interested in watching/playing the game, it's got to be a good thing, no?

Can’t be sustainable in the long run without people actually paying to watch it 

The interest of Sky will fade , of course the BBC will keep plugging away & the big six or seven will finance it for political reasons.

Not remotely interested in the games .Just depriving lower league teams of a bit of tv revenue on international weekends.

The US Wimmibz league ate now threatening legal action to get equal oay.

tbf, in their case they are more successful than the mens but still at a low overall skill level in reality.

This could all be sorted by saying fck it, no segregation, mixed teams, pick the best. Though you could expect a quota to be forced through if that ever happened.

• Site Supporter

Any business can only pay what it can afford in wages- men's game is a prime example of what happens if you overpay. Women's game shouldn't go down that route or risks being in the shite later.

OK if Abramovich wants to fund Chelsea out of his own pockets, but even he won't be around for ever.

The equal pay argument just doesn't wash until the women's game brings more money in and becomes sustainable. If they end up having more money than the men's game then fair play, pay them more than men.