Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Afolayan article

freds dad

• Members
9 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

OK, there's only so much of a pie, but Premiership clubs would eat the extra wage as, in their terms, he'll be on nothing with us.

Our development costs are nowt in real terms.

If a Premiership team sees him as 1st team potential they'll pay surprisingly high. Of course, only 3 months ago a Premiership club wished him well but let him go ... but he's proving them wrong currently.

But there you go he’s not cost us a lot he has 18 months on his deal and he plays L1 football . Just because Prem teams have the money doesn’t increase his value 

If we were offered £3M for him in January, he'd be off. People need to remember our situation. Whilst we are now stable, we're not going to run a huge debt again so any sort of decent cash injection will be more than welcome, it allows us to "reinvest" as well as keep the doors open.

Talk of £10M+ for a player who had played 7 L1 games is utter madness

Edited by Sweep

A decent few months in L1 isn't going to get any prem teams offering silly money. He's playing fantastically well but he was let go by West ham in the summer for a reason.

If come the summer he's still playing this well then perhaps a move will materialise. But he'd need to be 4 years younger or playing this well in at least the championship to get silly money thrown his way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Site Supporter
On 17/09/2021 at 14:08, CambridgeBWFC said:

Think I would want quite a lot more than £10m given some of the amounts thrown around on shite these days.

But this is BWFC so it probably won't top £4m

This is a different BWFC now Cambridge

I don't get the impression the First Lady will take the first bid. And the Home Bargains bloke and the drummer out of Pink Floyd won't be breathing down her neck for a quick return.

On 17/09/2021 at 16:29, Jol_BWFC said:

£25m and we’d “have a look”? He’d be frogmarched out the door if anyone came in with a £10m bid.

On 18/09/2021 at 11:08, Sweep said:

If we were offered £3M for him in January, he'd be off. People need to remember our situation. Whilst we are now stable, we're not going to run a huge debt again so any sort of decent cash injection will be more than welcome, it allows us to "reinvest" as well as keep the doors open.

Talk of £10M+ for a player who had played 7 L1 games is utter madness

As much as I like Dapo he's far from proven enough for a top half championship club to come in for him, I don't see him at that level yet.  Not a criticism, I just think teams that have a few million to spend will be looking for maybe more pace, strength, finishing.  He's more than good enough for us but he can be better and more consistent, he still has too many of those Rotherham type games when he's off the pace.  A cracking signing for us, I've no concerns that he'll be leaving any time soon. I'll just enjoy watching him.

Just re-name this thread 'The Afolayan Thread', he's that good he deserves one dedicated to him. Although I don't like all the noise about him. Bright side is, the more hype around him the bigger the price tag becomes.

The touch he takes on his thigh just before his daisy-cutter goal against Charlton was so good. Such a simple thing but allowed him to control a difficult ball in the pouring rain perfectly in his stride, to then immediately run at the defender. If you cock that touch up then you don't have the time to make that dribble. Fucking baller. Cliché but that lad oozes class.

Edited by Mantra

• Site Supporter
38 minutes ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

Black History Month: How Dapo Afolayan gave up a future at Chelsea but made it as a pro his own way - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/58793983

Piece on the BBC about him, not much mention of us really but the more I hear from him you just know he has the mentality and commitment to make it right to the top

Yep, he seems really grounded with a good attitude.

He's every chance of getting to a really high level, hopefully with us, if he stays patient.

3 hours ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

Black History Month: How Dapo Afolayan gave up a future at Chelsea but made it as a pro his own way - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/58793983

Piece on the BBC about him, not much mention of us really but the more I hear from him you just know he has the mentality and commitment to make it right to the top

Interesting insight that.  Definitely got his head screwed on. Didn't mention his time at Oldham or Mansfield which on paper were no different to coming to us on loan, in league 2.  Strange that he either didn't have an impact at those clubs, or that if he did nobody else came in for him as it was obvious from the minute he came on as a sub v Morecambe that he was better than league 2.  We're lucky he was still available on a free at the age of 23.

• Site Supporter

Cherish every moment this lad steps out in a Bolton shirt. He's got a massive future and we're extremely privileged to have him here. Every credit to Evatt and the owners for getting his signature, and on a 3 year deal too. Same goes for Santos really.

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

Brilliant. Cheers for sharing 

Find it bizarre everyone is putting a value on him further up the Fred they’d be happy to take. I’d rather no one came in and we kept him. 

Every club is a selling club with maybe the exception of Real Madrid nowadays. 

As I don’t receive any of the money from his sale it’s of little interest. Understand the club has a price and what not and he will go at the time but he can stay for a bit for me.

4 hours ago, tomski said:

Find it bizarre everyone is putting a value on him further up the Fred they’d be happy to take. I’d rather no one came in and we kept him. 

As I don’t receive any of the money from his sale it’s of little interest. Understand the club has a price and what not and he will go at the time but he can stay for a bit for me.

I agree that I'd rather he stayed with us because in the short term £5-10 million isn't as useful to us as he is on the pitch.

But that 5-10 million if reinvested correctly could then lead to more "Dapos" coming to the club and then selling on for more profit.

It's a tough one though because I'd say out of all our players, taking Dapo out of the team would probably have the greatest negative effect on us. Personally I can't see him leaving under Evatt unless an offer comes in that's too good to refuse.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, tomski said:

Aye 

I hope he stays as it means we're doing well 

But if we have to sell, I don't want to feel like we've been bummed like with Holding or to a lesser degree Clough and that we're in a position to hold out for top dollar 

Basically, if we do sell him i hope it's to a pl team or championship team with parachute money to burn, and not to reading for 500k on deadline day because we'd rather not lose him for nothing

• Site Supporter

Here's the thing: he's not good enough yet for the prem- west ham wouldn't have released him if that was the case. If some club from there was to take a punt, it would likely be a struggler or someone hoping to develop him, which would mean reserve team football again.

If he does get there then it's going to take a bit more time and games, and good coaching.

Not going to get any better in league one than here, which essentially leaves the championship, which Evatt is aiming for this season anyhow. 

Going to have him for some time yet I reckon.