Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Charlton Away

RUREADY2ROLL

Well that was a pleasant surprise. Don’t think we even looked THAT good, at least for the first hour or so, and yet we coast to a win like that. Absolutely superb. As much as I’ve bought in to the “3-3-3 = mid-table” talk, his often do mid table teams come up with away wins like that?

Trains back from Charlton were a pain in the arse to the extent that I ended up getting cans from Sainsbury’s while we were waiting to get on to the platform. Piss wet through and no pubs by the time we got back to Greenwich, but somehow it didn’t really matter 😊 COYWM

Sarc is not playing as a midfielder nor an out and out number 10, but somewhere in between, he is doing a lot of closing down and when he gets the ball trying to be creative. He is giving a lot to the team at the expense of a more expansive role more suitable to his style of play. 
People may agree or disagree with this but one thing I am sure of that this is a team to be proud of and our style of play and all round commitment to the cause is superb.

8 minutes ago, nantwichwhite said:

Sarc is not playing as a midfielder nor an out and out number 10, but somewhere in between, he is doing a lot of closing down and when he gets the ball trying to be creative. He is giving a lot to the team at the expense of a more expansive role more suitable to his style of play. 
People may agree or disagree with this but one thing I am sure of that this is a team to be proud of and our style of play and all round commitment to the cause is superb.

Think he played a lot better without Sheehan tbh. Lee offers that bit more going forward I think which maybe takes the pressure of Sarce a little bit, particularly away from home. Hell of a run to get himself in the position for the fourth though, and a really cool finish. 

I thought Sarce & Kachunga were poor tonight, but collectively as a team we were better than they were and got the result, which ultimately is all that matters.

We'll play Saturday and another 1 or 2 will be off the boil, but that's why they're lower league footballers.

Even though we haven't picked in wins in the last two prior we've not played badly at all but that first half tonight we was shocking we were letting ourselves down because we know we're much better than that! Thankfully Dapo's magic got us in at HT with something to build on & you just knew Evatt would let them know them standards aren't the same as the ones they're capable off. Second half the intensity was there, the bravery on the ball, the duels, the link up, the ruthlessness. It was night & day! Dapo is so dangerous every time he gets the ball with being able to go on either foot... also the vision and cheeky lobbed ball to put Kachunga in behind? He's developing at a meteoric rate that lad. Safe to say Lee made up for them two sitters at Newport! Absolute class from him, the assist was some pick out aswell... has to start Sat after that impact. Real composure from Sarce but he is a weird one he's invisible for a good hour but then he just has them spells when the game is becoming more open where he pops up everywhere his energy just dominates teams in the later stages. Rico was a rock... got to love the crunch to win the ball then the ring around a rosey in the last min to authorize his dominance. Gethin was superb too, did well up against a tricky winger & seems to be improving his crossing!

• Members

Play walking football with a Charlton fan and he predicted the result last night (he actually said 'I can see you lot winning 3-1 or 4-1, we are absolutely shit at the moment).

Glad he was right! Saw all the goals on Gillette Soccer Special. Looked like a great following for a Tuesday night away game darn sarf.

When we start our run in January the rest will wonder what's hit them!

Onwards and upwards.

Just home, after some post-match pints and a kebab.

Fantastic support from the fans today and the players loved the celebrations for the second half goals in front of us.

Not the best performance (esp first half) but we took our chances very well today. Santos was immense. MOTM for me.

Special mention to the Bolton fan who got off the tube at Finsbury Park - if you post on here or know him. Too fucked to even keep your/his eyes open, let alone participate in a conversation with a couple of whites.

• Members

I thought Kachunga played alright last night retained the ball well worked hard defensively got his head up and looked for Jones on the overlap

I genuinely believe Lee and MJ are the key to promotion they were both head and shoulders above everyone 

Their right winger was nice with it though 

It’s a funny one with Katchunga, his link up play is good and at times he looks quite tidy on the ball.

It’s taken him a while to get up to speed fitness wise, but he’s getting there.

I thought he was unlucky with his header that flashed just wide, i don’t think it was the “sitter” that some thought it was.

The lad needs a goal.

6 minutes ago, Rudy said:

I thought Kachunga played alright last night retained the ball well worked hard defensively got his head up and looked for Jones on the overlap

I genuinely believe Lee and MJ are the key to promotion they were both head and shoulders above everyone 

Their right winger was nice with it though 

Yes overall I thought he did alright too, he is still lacking in confidence and he makes the wrong choice or a bad touch let's him down at times. But him and gethin linked up well at times and he works hard defensively. 

Everyone seems to have a great right winger, but teams target our left side of defence more as Dapo offers less cover and we push forwards more on that side leaving it exposed. Declan John was caught out as much as Gordon has been in recent weeks. Not sure how you solve it without moving Dapo more central and playing someone else out on the wing to provide that cover or really stopping the left back going forwards. Both would seriously change the way we play so it wont happen. More credit to Gethin though for how much mileage he puts in on the right, a few said he wasn't good enough at the end of last season, start of this, more than holding his own.

I was out last night ... these film premiers don't half get in the way. No internet but caught 1-1 half-time, without details.

Put t'interweb on later to see 1-3 switch to 1-4 before my very eyes. What more could you wish for ?! Brilliant stuff but the truly great thing is the togetherness ... on the pitch, in the club's fabric, the ownership, management, fans. It's been a while. It's very welcome back.

• Members
16 minutes ago, Zico said:

My favourite aspect of last night was how the lads celebrated with the fans, making the effort to turn around and acknowledge them, lovely stuff 

Dapo was leant over at full time MJ and Rico stood him up pointed to the fans and them embraced him before they walked over 

1 hour ago, radcliffe white said:

Wouldn’t say there’s any negativity on here but some posters like to blow it up

obviously early doors some frustrations myself included but that’s all it is

Now let’s sort Shrewsbury out Saturday and assuming Sheffield is off enjoy a break and rest some legs 

I don't know if there's been any more developments in last 12 hours or so but last I heard Sheehan hasn't been called up and Sheff Weds have only had their keeper called up by NI, none of their Scottish players have been selected. I think it might be on?

1 minute ago, Marc505 said:

I don't know if there's been any more developments in last 12 hours or so but last I heard Sheehan hasn't been called up and Sheff Weds have only had their keeper called up by NI, none of their Scottish players have been selected. I think it might be on?

Hopefully mate as the following will be one of the best all season

think it’s confirmed by end of the week? 

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Yep, no reason to call it off.

Sheffield Tap is calling...

1 minute ago, radcliffe white said:

Hopefully mate as the following will be one of the best all season

think it’s confirmed by end of the week? 

Just looked at when their last game was called off (due to Sunderland call ups not their own) and that was the Friday before so yeah should be next couple of days if at all.

I think I'm going to pay out on tickets and travel anyway now, should be a great day that.