Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Charity Match

L/H White

Loved every minute of it, belting day for a great cause. 

As others have said, one of the best things was to see my 10 year old nephew seeing mine and his dad's reaction to our heroes. 

Think I've said on here before that I don't contribute much to the football threads as I'm not the most knowledgeable football fan, just love watching our team and love our club. Days like today are the reason why. 

8 minutes ago, bolton_blondie said:

MND is a fucker. Progresses so quickly. Seen quite alot of younger people with it. One fella my own age. It was heartbreaking. 

Yes. Have a family member who has been diagnosed this year and from new year to now the progression is frightening. 

Anyway I love that this afternoon. Just got home now after sinking a few pints at Lucianos after the game. 

I'm still wounded I couldn't get a bet on 7-4....🤣 

• Site Supporter

Well what a day! Tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat throughout that thoroughly enjoyable experience. 

First of all so pleased for Gethin, his mum and the charity, he and his team mates have seen what this club is all about. 

Not far behind in the emotion stakes is  the combination of seeing all those legends and how much affection they still have for the club and seeing our young team experience what it means to play for our special and unique football club.

Maybe we are biased and I’m seeing this through rose tinted specs, but other than a few top clubs would you get that reaction anywhere else? Certainly none of our local lancashire or NW rivals would pull something like that off. Those players are true BWFC legends, all of them are famous Premier league footballers because of what they did for Bolton Wanderers. The affection we have for the club is shared by them. 

And after a few turbulent weeks with results, Sarcevic and membership debacles something like this dwarves all of that. If IE, Santos and the boys were in any doubt before this weekend what this family club means to the fans, the town and the community, well they’ll certainly know now.

Lets hope they can use this to inspire them to greater things. 

Very proud of our great club

COYWM 👏

Don’t normally do testimonials friendlies etc.Last minute decision to take my grandson .Glad I went ,my grandson is really on board now , any doubts about his football loyalties absolutely nailed.

As others have stated quite emotional & combined with such a good cause it’s heartening to be involved , credit to the players who travelled long distance .We finally got to say our farewells to Campo in particular.

1 hour ago, superjohnmcginlay said:

I cried , more than once. 

what a day. 

Not sure if it’s the realisation of time marches on and nostalgia. 

but fucking hell we were blessed. We still are to have this club. 

bursting with pride tonight 

I'd +1 if I could but already spaffed my quota for the day elsewhere in the thread. Everything about today just makes you massively proud, of the club, the people associated with it and the fans that follow it. Makes you wanna go out and tell people you're a Bolton fan, and feel sorry for those that aren't.

By the way, that photo of Davies and Campo embracing is one of my favourite Wanderers photos of all time, up there with Lofthouse drinking from the cup and Speed walking into battle in that Belgrade tunnel. Iconic.

47 minutes ago, boogs said:

Think I've said on here before that I don't contribute much to the football threads as I'm not the most knowledgeable football fan, just love watching our team and love our club. 

You don’t have to be a knowledgeable footy fan to post on here, most on here just spout bollocks the way they see it - that’s the beauty of the game.

3 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

Think the togetherness of today will do wonders for moral and will show the present players that if they can go on and make the fans proud they won’t be forgotten in the future 

I think the difference is, those legends today played for us in The Premier league, can you become a legend playing 3rd tier football?

17 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

Think the togetherness of today will do wonders for moral and will show the present players that if they can go on and make the fans proud they won’t be forgotten in the future 

Totally agree, no doubt they will think if this is what they will do to support our teammate and his family then we owe to them to give it 100% every game. 

18 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

I'd +1 if I could but already spaffed my quota for the day elsewhere in the thread. Everything about today just makes you massively proud, of the club, the people associated with it and the fans that follow it. Makes you wanna go out and tell people you're a Bolton fan, and feel sorry for those that aren't.

By the way, that photo of Davies and Campo embracing is one of my favourite Wanderers photos of all time, up there with Lofthouse drinking from the cup and Speed walking into battle in that Belgrade tunnel. Iconic.

I thought about Speed today... 

You know he'd still be in peak condition and bossing it if he was involved. 

5 minutes ago, stevieb said:

I thought about Speed today... 

You know he'd still be in peak condition and bossing it if he was involved. 

I already had tears in my eyes reading this thread but that thought has finished me off.  You just know he would have walked here to be involved.

Lots of good things about today, the best for me was seeing Campo not only play more than most did today, but seeing his sublime touch is still there was emotional for me.  Closely followed by Stelios, Gardner and Okocha.

Such a shame the rolls royce that is Bergsson didn't get to cruise through a game at the Reebok one last time, sadly injured after 7 minutes.

Does anyone know where Klasnic was, or Nolan?

1 hour ago, bolton_blondie said:

MND is a fucker. Progresses so quickly. Seen quite alot of younger people with it. One fella my own age. It was heartbreaking. 

Father in law passed 4 years ago having suffered with it for just 2 years . Horrible disease hopefully days like this go some way to finding a cure.

• Site Supporter

My eyes are playing up again just reading this thread.

My lad keeps asking if Campo was that good when he played for real. I’m just so fckin chuffed he got the chance to see that stellar line up play on our pitch today.

I half expected it to be a bit of a damp squib. In the end, it may be the highlight of the season.

Proper buzzing still. And I’m a miserable cunt, so that’s some going.

30 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

You don’t have to be a knowledgeable footy fan to post on here, most on here just spout bollocks the way they see it - that’s the beauty of the game.

I think the difference is, those legends today played for us in The Premier league, can you become a legend playing 3rd tier football?

Possibly not, but McGinlay, Walker, Branagan, Kelly, McAteer, Lee, Brownie arguably got to a certain level of legendary status even without the couple of years at 2nd tier level. 

But that crop under Big Sam was unique, let's face it, its never going to happen again.  And as said above by Desperado many of these legends achieved their status playing for us.  Eg Jussi, Campo, Okocha, Gardner, Bergsson, Pederson, SKD, Nolan, McGinlay, Lee.  Other "greats" were already top players (Anelka, Djorkaeff, Hierro, Speed, Klasnic etc).  

Getting emotional again.