Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Charity Match

L/H White

31 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Does anyone know where Klasnic was, or Nolan?

I heard Klasnic got ill in the last couple of days so didn't travel, and I don't think Nolan was involved at all.

I'm sure Mark Davies was mentioned a week or two ago but no sign of him.

44 minutes ago, stevieb said:

I thought about Speed today... 

You know he'd still be in peak condition and bossing it if he was involved. 

So did I, and Happy Wanderer actually, plus all those who idolised these players who are no longer with us. They were all part of some of the greatest days.

1 hour ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I think the difference is, those legends today played for us in The Premier league, can you become a legend playing 3rd tier football?

I think you can if you over achieve for example if a team with no money and free transfers won back to back promotions and may be went to old Trafford in the cup after beating Stockport and Rotherham and beat them they would in my book 😂

The game is obviously about levels but we all think more about say a super John and Andy Walker than a elmander or a ngog that were big money signings 

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Francis Fogarty said:

I've just remembered. Talking about tinpot no-marks, as I was sitting on Asda car park car waiting for the traffic to clear three kids were ballooning about Wiggin going up.

I just smiled, I thought you'll never have what we've got, never. Not after today.

Indeed

A legends match would include Jimmy Bullard.

Id say we can safely ignore Wigan. Again.

23 minutes ago, Spider said:

Indeed

A legends match would include Jimmy Bullard.

Id say we can safely ignore Wigan. Again.

Wigan legends line up: Goalie Jussi 1st half, Al Habsi 2nd half, Amos unused sub,  Defence Emerson Thome, Andy Taylor, Robinson, Johnstone; midfield Tony Kelly, Frandsen, David Lee, Scott Green, Callum Connolly, Solomon Otabor; Strikers Clough, ALF, Proctor and Dodoo.  Manager Owen Coyle

Couldn’t go today because of work, but because of the buzz you lot have I’ve doubled what my admission would of been and donated.  Glad you all enjoyed it, it’s made me feel better for missing it.  I’ve seen plenty of videos and it looked fabulous, especially Jay-Jay teasing our lads then the side pass with both feet, he’s still got it.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

many of these legends achieved their status playing for us.  Eg Jussi, Campo, Okocha, Gardner, Bergsson, Pederson, SKD, Nolan, McGinlay, Lee.  Other "greats" were already top players (Anelka, Djorkaeff, Hierro, Speed, Klasnic etc).  

Being pedantic but campo had a CL medal and okocha a £10m transfer and decent World Cup before they signed for us 

Sounds like an ace day though and gutted i couldn't make it

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, Zico said:

Being pedantic but campo had a CL medal and okocha a £10m transfer and decent World Cup before they signed for us 

The point I made earlier which I think Johnny was backing up was their premier league status, their allegiance and affection to a club in this country.

That Blackburn 95 side would be their equivalent but they had a Liverpool legend managing them a Geordie hero up front and a bunch of other players who went on (or had previously) made their names at other English clubs.

Our legends are Bolton through and through and would have only come back to one English club to do what they did yesterday.