Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sir Roger Hunt RIP

Take Hunt Off

I saw him play for Stockton Heath (now Warrington Town) in the Mid-Cheshire League as a teenager. By far the best player on the pitch (box-to-box striker!).

Glad than he eventually joined BWFC after his exploits at Liverpool, including gaining promotion to the top flight after several years of missing out before he arrived.

Roger Hunt oozed class both as a footballer and as a man.

When we signed him i thought we’d really made a statement in signing someone who had actually won a World Cup winners medal.It’s not like he was some old “has been” he was 31 years old and still had a couple of good seasons left in him.

Some of the football he played for us was fantastic.

A lovely bloke who always had time for the fans.

Rip Sir Roger Hunt.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

RIP Roger Hunt, sad to hear this news.  He was before my time so I wasn't lucky enough to see him play for us.  Met him briefly when he presented me with a medal in the late 70s in Leigh, even as a kid I was struck by what a gentleman this "star" was.  Always came across as genuine, modest and unassuming.  A credit to football,  to BWFC and this area generally.

25 minutes ago, royal white said:

I’m Surprised the players didn’t wear black armbands, or did they and I didn’t see? 

They’d have already been down in London at the time of his passing so might have been a bit short notice on that front. Plus you need EFL/FA approval which, although it seems obvious in these circumstances, might not have necessarily come through in time. 

• Members

All been said earlier in the thread. Absolutely ecstatic when he signed for us and his debut at Deepdale will always be with me. It almost looked like Ewood Park did on that night because so many Bolton fans wanted to see the great mans first game for us.

Absolute gentleman; Bolton fan; World Cup Winner. What else could anyone need in a CV?

RIP Roger.

9 hours ago, bolty58 said:

All been said earlier in the thread. Absolutely ecstatic when he signed for us and his debut at Deepdale will always be with me. It almost looked like Ewood Park did on that night because so many Bolton fans wanted to see the great mans first game for us.

Absolute gentleman; Bolton fan; World Cup Winner. What else could anyone need in a CV?

RIP Roger.

Massive Bolton following at Preston for his debut and the sound of EI hady o Sir Roger Hunt. Another nice guy gone - RIP Roger

3 hours ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Massive Bolton following at Preston for his debut and the sound of EI hady o Sir Roger Hunt. Another nice guy gone - RIP Roger

What a fantastic memory you must have! As soon as i read your post my own memories came  flooding back of being a 9 year old starstruck kid in that packed away end at Deepdale - “Sir Roger Hunt, Sir Roger Hunt,Ee aye adio, Sir Roger Hunt” trouble is, i can’t stop singing it in my head now!

Edited by Burndens Bogs