Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

SW away

captainmed

46 minutes ago, woolli said:

Why was it?  We was bottom of the league, i was there, and yes, i did one at half time, back to the Frog and Parrot!

It was 1997 first year at the Reebok, we weren't quite bottom of the league, they were. We had some reasonable results up to that point, and they got dicked by the scum the week before - Only game I've left at half time  through shitness. It was also the first match after SJM had been sold to Bradford, as wee were all singing his name before kick off.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, woolli said:

Why was it?  We was bottom of the league, i was there, and yes, i did one at half time, back to the Frog and Parrot!

33 minutes ago, Gonk said:

It was 1997 first year at the Reebok, we weren't quite bottom of the league, they were. We had some reasonable results up to that point, and they got dicked by the scum the week before - Only game I've left at half time  through shitness. It was also the first match after SJM had been sold to Bradford, as wee were all singing his name before kick off.

they'd lost their last 3 in a row and 8 from 13

sacked David Pleat in the week before we played them

caretaker manager syndrome kicked in and we got spanked

remember them having to open the corner bit to the left to accomodate everyone trying to get in even though 3/4s of the the following had fucked off before half time

18 minutes ago, Zico said:

remember them having to open the corner bit to the left to accomodate everyone trying to get in even though 3/4s of the the following had fucked off before half time

I remember it?, but didnt realize the circumstances where that bad! Worst half i have ever witnessed as a Bolton fan, along with Notts County away!

50 minutes ago, Zico said:

I got my Hillsborough thrashings mixed up, I could have sworn Andy Booth got a first half hat-trick one New Years Day.  Checked it, and yes 5-0 defeat but it was Nov 97, our following inflated by high hopes after getting 4 points from Chelsea and Liverpool.  Booth hat-trick in 1st half, Di Canio got one.  They'd conceded 20 goals in previous 6 games!  New Years Day 96, only about 2k of us, 4-1 down after an hour, pulled another back.  Sasa scored a cracker.

2 hours ago, Zico said:

Wasn't Big Fat Ron the caretaker manager?

And.

They had probably given up but weren't we the better team in the 2nd half?

• The topic was pinned
  • Moderators
5 hours ago, Whitestar said:

Wasn't Big Fat Ron the caretaker manager?

And.

They had probably given up but weren't we the better team in the 2nd half?

Wiki says Big Ron was appointed a few days later with Perer Shreeves as caretaker 

I thought he was already there as well, maybe he was announced but sat in the stand or something 

Can't remember the second half to be honest

1 hour ago, Zico said:

Wiki says Big Ron was appointed a few days later with Perer Shreeves as caretaker 

I thought he was already there as well, maybe he was announced but sat in the stand or something 

Can't remember the second half to be honest

I can remember our first meaningful possession and pressure resulting in a corner after about 75 mins. Jamie Pollock gives it the big come on! to what remained of the following. 5-0 down.  Fraud. 

In addition to the above comments, one of our group at SW met up with his SW mate that day, last words before the game were "don't be too hard on us". 

12 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Think Jimmy was right back that day walked off the pitch looking like a cork screw, great following as well. 

IIRC He only lasted about half an hour before being subbed after the 4th goal went in. 

It was around this time that Bruce Rioch had just left Arsenal and i can remember (just to see if id get on) ringing into a football chat show (can't remember his name but he is a Leicester fan, glasses, old now) and suggesting that Bruce come back to join Toddy.

We played away at Leicester that day and got a 0-0.

• Site Supporter
26 minutes ago, Whitestar said:

It was around this time that Bruce Rioch had just left Arsenal and i can remember (just to see if id get on) ringing into a football chat show (can't remember his name but he is a Leicester fan, glasses, old now) and suggesting that Bruce come back to join Toddy.

We played away at Leicester that day and got a 0-0.

19 minutes ago, Whitestar said:

It was Gary Newbon.

Don’t become a quiz master.