Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

SW away

captainmed

21 minutes ago, captainmed said:

IE is getting a fine tune out of mainly L2 quality players and that is commendable. 

Our captain & vice are clearly in that category and should be dropped IMO.

Only a younger Lee, Santos & Dapo are capable of playing any higher. 

We play too much football. 

We have now conceded first in 9/12 games which is a ridiculous stat given the points total. 

I’ve heard 4 detailed accounts of yesterday’s performance, 2 impartial and none of them bear any resemblance to IE post match interview. 

Take it on the chin and move on, but there is a recurring theme here. 

Great points

Sarce has stepped it up in recent games ok not the best yesterday and for me was unlucky to go off

But don’t forget Doyle does loads of running😀

see you at Plymouth 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

But don’t forget Doyle does loads of running😀

see you at Plymouth 

If I wanted to watch running I’d turn Sky Sports to London Marathon highlights.

Just looked at stats. 1 on target from 12 shots. Not a great return.

See you in Plymouth.

I watched the full game and was comfortable with the first half performance.   A mate who’s a DMB watched it, his verdict was ‘Why did you keep passing the ball across your back line whilst 1-0 down with 10mins to go’?   I explained the Real Madrid mentality the squad have on how the game should be played for entertainment value, but he came back with ‘Well you lost, perhaps in the last 10mins of games your behind it might be worth taking that extra risk for the sake of a point or three’.   I think there’s logic there, but we have scored late goals this year and proved we don’t struggle coming from behind to win games.

2 hours ago, captainmed said:

IE is getting a fine tune out of mainly L2 quality players and that is commendable. 

Our captain & vice are clearly in that category and should be dropped IMO.

Only a younger Lee, Santos & Dapo are capable of playing any higher. 

We play too much football. 

We have now conceded first in 9/12 games which is a ridiculous stat given the points total. 

I’ve heard 4 detailed accounts of yesterday’s performance, 2 impartial and none of them bear any resemblance to IE post match interview. 

Take it on the chin and move on, but there is a recurring theme here. 

This is pretty much it for me.

We have to make it easier to create an opportunity. If the opposition allow us to dominate posession and invite us to come on to them we aren't good enough yet at this level to break them down.

• Members

From where we were last year to now there’s not too much of a difference 

Our striker is devoid of confidence you could see that in his movement yesterday 

We’re conceding too many goals

We play excellent football but we are missing that critical finishing. We shouldn’t need to be creating ten chances to score one goal

We all would have taken 8th place 5 points off the top a quarter of the way in

Its a reality check for us, we can play nice have all the team and individual plaudits but we aren’t the finished product.

Its a marathon not a sprint lads, last year was proof of that. 

Edited by Rudy

• Site Supporter

Don’t like blaming officials but without a doubt that buffoon yesterday cost us a point.

We are a decent team but a good few short of being able to challenge at the top end. No disgrace in that, we’ll improve in every transfer window in the next couple of years. I’m happy with the progress we’ve made in 12 months. Enjoy the ride, roll on Plymouth

9 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Great post. Those 1-0 defeats at Cambridge, Sunderland and Wednesday may come back to haunt us at the end of the season but, ATM, my mind keeps going back to last season when we didn't hit top gear until mid January|. Not being wildly optimistic but we have seen enough to inspire confidence already this season.

Much to be grateful/thankful for and, as you say, we are close to being a very good team.

I agree with that, but we didn't even hit form in January.  First 6 games of 2021 we 1 and only got 6 points, after 4 points from 5 games in December, still very much relegation form.  Our winning run didn't start till Stevenage on 13th Feb. 5 and a half crap months followed by 2.5 great months (and a bit of luck it has to be said), and here we are.  I'm as grateful/ thankful as you.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Watched the extended highlights and we’ve created loads of chances, game should of been out of sight. We need someone at the top end of the pitch,  didn’t see any chances falling to Bako, did he start? 

Came on for Doyle with about 20 mins left

57 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Our striker is devoid of confidence you could see that in his movement yesterday 

We’re conceding too many goals

We play excellent football but we are missing that critical finishing. We shouldn’t need to be creating ten chances to score one goal

This isn't new though is it Rudy, most games at the end of last season were the same, pitiful amounts of shots on target for the possession we had. And was always my beef with Doyle then, he just doesn't complement his team mates and the way we play, in my opinion he is just so limited as a footballer. Obviously it was a hard sell when he was scoring here and there and we went up, but I stand by it.

What is more surprising is it has taken till Doyle is really struggling - and I actually feel for him now coz he looks a fish out of water in our team currently - for people to see it.

More importantly why has Evatt started in him in all 12 games, none of which he has scored from open play in. No other options?, which in itself isn't a great answer,  but persisting with him for this long is detrimental to Doyle and the team, loyal as it may be. It was telling when we conceded there seemed little belief we would score, the players seemed resigned to what was going to play out.

And yes we should all be pleased we still have a club yada yada yada, but here and now I think we should easily have another 5 or 6 points and be really pushing the top two. So I'm disappointed over the 12 matches with where we are, based on the way we have played, and points we should have collected, and get the impression the manager is too.

Edited by JimmyRiddle

1 minute ago, JimmyRiddle said:

More importantly why has Evatt started in him in all 12 games, none of which he has scored from open play in. No other options?, which in itself isn't a great answer,  but persisting with him for this long is detrimental to Doyle and the team, loyal as it may be.

Presumably Bakayoko’s injury completely passed you by?

On 03/10/2021 at 21:18, Mounts Kipper said:

If you get chance treat yourself to a hot pork sandwich with crackling apple and dip it in the fat from the meat, they are splendid 

http://www.beresporkshop.co.uk/contact.asp

Fine recommendation, & without breaking any of my teeth, the crackling was great. Delicious & reasonably priced at 3 pound something.

Sheffield is one of the best away days....a nice train ride & trams, a pleasant city, friendly & easygoing stewards & police at the ground ( i never thought i'd say that about SY police, but if anything they let a bit too much go yesterday ) & plenty of pubs in both the city centre & round the ground. 

Ha, just seen Radcliffe's post....I agree !!

Edited by bolton va va

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Anyway Sheffield for me is easily the best away day going

Short direct train, plenty of good boozers which for a city centre aren’t rammed either 

Utd a far better day than Wednesday though with the ground being closer. Can fit an extra 3 or 4 pints in while getting the same trains. I love Sheffield

18 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

This isn't new though is it Rudy, most games at the end of last season were the same, pitiful amounts of shots on target for the possession we had. And was always my beef with Doyle then, he just doesn't complement his team mates and the way we play, in my opinion he is just so limited as a footballer. Obviously it was a hard sell when he was scoring here and there and we went up, but I stand by it.

What is more surprising is it has taken till Doyle is really struggling - and I actually feel for him now coz he looks a fish out of water in our team currently - for people to see it.

More importantly why has Evatt started in him in all 12 games, none of which he has scored from open play in. No other options?, which in itself isn't a great answer,  but persisting with him for this long is detrimental to Doyle and the team, loyal as it may be. It was telling when we conceded there seemed little belief we would score, the players seemed resigned to what was going to play out.

And yes we should all be pleased we still have a club yada yada yada, but here and now I think we should easily have another 5 or 6 points and be really pushing the top two. So I'm disappointed over the 12 matches with where we are, based on the way we have played, and points we should have collected, and get the impression the manager is too.

We are 1 goal off being top scorers in the division. We have conceded as many if not more than virtually every team in top half. 
I agree with a lot of what you say but the 'yadda yadda' comment about still having a club is ignoring that this has been the most significant factor in last 2 years. As much as people might say 'but we are Bolton Wanders' we were a club with a manager untried at this level, owners who were new to football, heavily in debt, a track record of not playing players or debts and under a transfer embargo. Our club staff were having to use food banks FFS. 
Doyle is short of confidence and Kachunga has not scored (I think) for about 40 games now. 
This season is about improving and we are already playing significantly than we did most of last year. Come Jan let's see what we bring in, last year we got it spot on. But looking at the squad we lack cover of quality in depth, only K Lee has played consistently at a higher level, something I imagine the club will look at. 
I have done all 3 of the 1 - 0 should have won games and it is frustrating but at least we do not need wholesale changes a few tweaks and additions and we are good  

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, bolton va va said:

.....or that when Bakayoko replaced Doyle yesterday, we became much less of a threat.

This is the problem. When he came on last week against Shrewsbury he put in a couple of good blocks, and posed a threat in the air.

However, he didn't have the sort of movement that Doyle does, and we went a bit more direct to his head- a more speculative type of football. 

That's the risk with a big target man, and if we go that way, then runners have to get close. Not always easy to adjust the style or expect a different type of striker to easily drop into the current one.

Didn't see it yesterday so can't comment on Baka's performance nor that of Doyle, but I'm sure Evatt is aware of what is needed.

12 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Utd a far better day than Wednesday though with the ground being closer. Can fit an extra 3 or 4 pints in while getting the same trains. I love Sheffield

We got the tram up towards the ground and a Weds fan took us to the Riverside cafe/bar, great place to just sit and chat shit with having kids with us. 
Two major points of discussion - football is the only true world wide sport and there is no such thing as fish. 

Edited by Ani

1 hour ago, Ani said:

We are 1 goal off being top scorers in the division. We have conceded as many if not more than virtually every team in top half. 
I agree with a lot of what you say but the 'yadda yadda' comment about still having a club is ignoring that this has been the most significant factor in last 2 years. As much as people might say 'but we are Bolton Wanders' we were a club with a manager untried at this level, owners who were new to football, heavily in debt, a track record of not playing players or debts and under a transfer embargo. Our club staff were having to use food banks FFS. 
Doyle is short of confidence and Kachunga has not scored (I think) for about 40 games now. 
This season is about improving and we are already playing significantly than we did most of last year. Come Jan let's see what we bring in, last year we got it spot on. But looking at the squad we lack cover of quality in depth, only K Lee has played consistently at a higher level, something I imagine the club will look at. 
I have done all 3 of the 1 - 0 should have won games and it is frustrating but at least we do not need wholesale changes a few tweaks and additions and we are good  

You make some good points, and I wasn't trying to be a flippant about our previous predicament, but we can't use it for ever either.

And you are right about the style of play, that is a huge improvement and doing against better teams too. Conversely that then adds to the frustration when we don't convert our chances.

i have to watch on iFollow every week normally so maybe it gives a different perspective? Anyway I'm back next week for Wigan so hopefully Doyle will bag a hat trick against them pricks and I will be eating humble pie with glee.

5 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

You make some good points, and I wasn't trying to be a flippant about our previous predicament, but we can't use it for ever either.

And you are right about the style of play, that is a huge improvement and doing against better teams too. Conversely that then adds to the frustration when we don't convert our chances.

i have to watch on iFollow every week normally so maybe it gives a different perspective? Anyway I'm back next week for Wigan so hopefully Doyle will bag a hat trick against them pricks and I will be eating humble pie with glee.

Honestly do not think humble pie is needed 😂. I have posted previously that people express their support in different ways. Happy Clapper- Moaners etc etc. We all want the same thing. 
In the long run we need better up front if we have aspirations to move up the league and in coming seasons hopefully compete in the Championship. But for all the options we have upfront before this season the only player in the squad with a history of regular goal scoring is Doyle so bringing another and thinking we they will bag week in week out is unrealistic. 
If in Jan we could sign Nathan Blake I think it would be the perfect fit for this team.