Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

SW away

captainmed

32 minutes ago, Ani said:
If in Jan we could sign Nathan Blake I think it would be the perfect fit for this team. 

Getting on a bit, but still quicker than Doyle?

Not drinking again, ever. Bastard rugby fans had packed my train home to Flixton. Wouldn’t let any more on. So ended up having to have a couple more beers in the Salisbury. 15 hour drinking binges are the stuff of the devil. Kebab going spare in our fridge if anyone wants it! From Kings on Churchgate!

Edited by Smiley

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, Smiley said:

Not drinking again, ever. Bastard rugby fans had packed my train home to Flixton. Wouldn’t let any more on. So ended up having to have a couple more beers in the Salisbury. 15 hour drinking binges are the stuff of the devil. Kebab going spare in our fridge if anyone wants it! From Kings on Churchgate!

I’ve been feeling a bit sorry for myself today but just cracked a beer open, hopefully the recovery is on

1 hour ago, JimmyRiddle said:

i have to watch on iFollow every week normally so maybe it gives a different perspective? Anyway I'm back next week for Wigan so hopefully Doyle will bag a hat trick against them pricks and I will be eating humble pie with glee.

I think that watching on the screen is different to being at the game as the view is limited to what the camera is pointing at. So I agree that it does give a different perspective. 

Out of interest, do you live miles away which is why you watch the matches this way?

• Site Supporter
21 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Anti Evatt sentiment? Amongst Wanderers fans?  Jesus! 

Yep, a few making ridiculous comments. 

Thing about Doyle, is there doesn't seem to be anyone who can come in and get the goals. 

Maybe Baka needs a run just to see, but Kachunga hasn't ripped up trees.

He's not going to throw in a kid neither.

• Members
1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Just made the mistake of reading some comments after an article.

The anti Evatt sentiment is remarkable. 

Rudy, fire up that volcano.

Idiots

5 points off the top. 

By rights Evatt could save us from the drop on the last day and we should all be grateful 

Reallu no need for such shortsightedness

19 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Yep, a few making ridiculous comments. 

Thing about Doyle, is there doesn't seem to be anyone who can come in and get the goals. 

Maybe Baka needs a run just to see, but Kachunga hasn't ripped up trees.

He's not going to throw in a kid neither.

It is crazy, Evatt is learning but already is very good, be more worried he might leave for a bigger job. 

20 hours ago, MickyD said:

Just back.

One thing not really discussed is Dapo getting booked for being fouled. What the fuck? Immediately after that, Kachunga got caught with the ball giving them the free kick from which they scored. 
Also, the penalty claim in the dying seconds. Ref pointed to his knee as if to say either it had come up off his knee onto his arm or it had hit his knee not his arm. Either way, bollocks! It hit his outstretched arm. I will study the highlights show later.

Also, we have a new breed of dickhead watching us. A young girl by the name of Shannon, climbing all over the tram generally being an arse. Almost wanting folk to chastise her so she could have a go back.

She even joined in as the youngsters sang, “She’s got chlamydia!”

I think she's featured on that Away Day Sleepers page today and going off the comments she annoyed a fair few yesterday. 

30 minutes ago, desperado said:

0D086021-CBD7-45FE-9DEC-0136F7F4B12B.thumb.png.bbc3b3a10e69306527fe92aa2039766d.png

Not the clearest picture, but I was convinced at the time it had hit his outstretched arm and I’m not changing my mind. It should have been a penalty.

Your absolutely right , but that twat had no intention of giving us anything and certainly not in the 6th minute of injury time.

9 hours ago, MickyD said:

If I wanted to watch running I’d turn Sky Sports to London Marathon highlights.

Just looked at stats. 1 on target from 12 shots. Not a great return.

See you in Plymouth.

I think for all the qualities Doyle brings in terms of running the channels etc etc, all reasonably valid, when we signed him  for league 2 last season, we were buzzing.  Why? Because of 52 goals in about 3 years.  I didn't see any comments saying they couldn't wait to see his intelligent runs, workrate and being a team player.  All great qualities, but there could be players even better at those things playing for Crawley or Forest Green, but we've never heard of them because they don't score enough.  If Doyle isn't scoring, unfortunately he's not the player we signed.

10 hours ago, Breightmet Boy said:

I watched the full game and was comfortable with the first half performance.   A mate who’s a DMB watched it, his verdict was ‘Why did you keep passing the ball across your back line whilst 1-0 down with 10mins to go’?   I explained the Real Madrid mentality the squad have on how the game should be played for entertainment value, but he came back with ‘Well you lost, perhaps in the last 10mins of games your behind it might be worth taking that extra risk for the sake of a point or three’.   I think there’s logic there, but we have scored late goals this year and proved we don’t struggle coming from behind to win games.

We've proved the opposite surely?  The last 4 games when we have been looking for a 2nd half goal against a team intent on defending (Cambridge, Burton, Sunderland, Sheff Wed) we've not only lost but the keeper has had virtually nothing to do.  That's the concern really, even the best teams can fail to score, but our ability to get shots on target when a team is defending a lead, is really poor.

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I think for all the qualities Doyle brings in terms of running the channels etc etc, all reasonably valid, when we signed him  for league 2 last season, we were buzzing.  Why? Because of 52 goals in about 3 years.  I didn't see any comments saying they couldn't wait to see his intelligent runs, workrate and being a team player.  All great qualities, but there could be players even better at those things playing for Crawley or Forest Green, but we've never heard of them because they don't score enough.  If Doyle isn't scoring, unfortunately he's not the player we signed.

Until January at the earliest he's the nearest thing we have to a goal scorer so we can only hope one goes in off his arse soon & sets him going. 

15 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Personally, i think given what he did last season he's entitled to a bit of patience and faith from us.  It's not like he's missed loads of sitters because at the moment we're only creating half chances.

Come the transfer window, if he's not scoring, then he'll expect to be replaced by whoever Evatt brings in.

13 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

We've proved the opposite surely?  The last 4 games when we have been looking for a 2nd half goal against a team intent on defending (Cambridge, Burton, Sunderland, Sheff Wed) we've not only lost but the keeper has had virtually nothing to do.  That's the concern really, even the best teams can fail to score, but our ability to get shots on target when a team is defending a lead, is really poor.

This is where I am at, except Burton where we were bloody unlucky re the disallowed goal and the non-penalty. 

To play the way we do though, you need quality more than effort and like I said before IE is getting a fine tune out of these lads. 

Spoke to a SW fan today and he said it’s the worst they have played all season at home and they still beat us. 

That says a lot, but they will be up there at the end as will Sunderland too and both massive clubs at this level.

14 minutes ago, captainmed said:

This is where I am at, except Burton where we were bloody unlucky re the disallowed goal and the non-penalty. 

To play the way we do though, you need quality more than effort and like I said before IE is getting a fine tune out of these lads. 

Spoke to a SW fan today and he said it’s the worst they have played all season at home and they still beat us. 

That says a lot, but they will be up there at the end as will Sunderland too and both massive clubs at this level.

I'm guessing Sunderland fans would be saying the same.  But so did we last week against Shrewsbury.  

Re the Burton game - not sure I agree, the disallowed goal was in the 1st half, and that isn't our problem, its in the 2nd half we can't turn the screw.  If we had got a penalty and won 1-0 it wouldn't have altered the fact that we didn't test the keeper from open play, as well as we played against a really poor team on the night.

• Members
1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

So who’s the alternative? Baka? 

Im a fan but he’s not match fit, but I think we’ll be stronger with him in the lineup but does it change the dynamic of the team? Possibly.

Ive not trusted a manager like IE since Rioch for getting things right so as long as IE picks Doyle I trust IE

9 minutes ago, Rudy said:

So who’s the alternative? Baka? 

Im a fan but he’s not match fit, but I think we’ll be stronger with him in the lineup but does it change the dynamic of the team? Possibly.

Ive not trusted a manager like IE since Rioch for getting things right so as long as IE picks Doyle I trust IE

I trust IE too, not to get everything right, but to get more right than wrong and to eventually right the wrongs.  I am a fan of Baka, I think he will score as many as Doyle in this league, and he will add the physicality and extra yard of pace that is unfortunately lacking with Doyle.  If Wigan had either Doyle or Baka up front on Saturday, I know which I would rather play against.

I've no idea if Baka is match fit, I'll go with whatever IE decides.  I think that might be over egged anyway, we keep hearing Kachunga wasn't match fit for months, but he seemed to have more impact in his early games than lately, if he's not match fit yet how long does it take?  Or was that never the issue?

• Members
3 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I trust IE too, not to get everything right, but to get more right than wrong and to eventually right the wrongs.  I am a fan of Baka, I think he will score as many as Doyle in this league, and he will add the physicality and extra yard of pace that is unfortunately lacking with Doyle.  If Wigan had either Doyle or Baka up front on Saturday, I know which I would rather play against.

I've no idea if Baka is match fit, I'll go with whatever IE decides.  I think that might be over egged anyway, we keep hearing Kachunga wasn't match fit for months, but he seemed to have more impact in his early games than lately, if he's not match fit yet how long does it take?  Or was that never the issue?

He does right his wrongs no doubt about it and I trust him to make the big choices I just think he sees what Doyle did last year and believed he can replicate him.

In the cup games Delf and Baka have both scored as a number 9 but neither are like Doyle so maybe it would work playing the same but without Doyle I don’t know but are Wigan and Plymouth the right games to try it out? 
This is why IE is paid, FWIW I think Doyle benefits with Isgrove playing and I think he’ll play next game.